Options

Jeep TJ 2 door for towing. Yeah or neah?

CharlesCharles Member Posts: 4
I have a 97 Jeep TJ, lifted with 35" tires.  The factory stated max towing is 2000lb.  I was interested in a T@B Outback/Boondock, anyone have experiences (good or bad) towing with a Jeep Wrangler?

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    No specific experience with the Jeep, but with a loaded T@B 320 Boondock I expect you will exceed your rated towing capacity (and probably tongue weight) by a significant amount.

As for my general experience, If you don't want spend a lot of time cursing with your gas pedal jammed to the floor, assume your actual towing capacity is about half your rated towing capacity.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    robptrobpt Member Posts: 90

I had a 98 TJ, same tow rating. I pondered that thought when I had the 320S, but, after reading up on the feasibility of such a thing, decided definitely not. Its not just what @ScottG said about perhaps maxing capacity, other factors such as the short wheelbase of the jeep and the fact that it is lifted would impact greatly on control of the trailer. Certainly not if you don't have a brake controller.

Of course in the same forums you'll read people claim to have had no problem towing, but they didn't advise doing it on highways, didn't go that far, drove slow (like 50 and under), and anticipated every turn and stop.  

North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    robpt said:

.......and anticipated every turn and stop.  

Euh, no matter what you tow with, you have to anticipate every turn and stop and even more, cause a trailer can destabelize a TV and if not, like the tv is that heavy, well the trailer could be doing crazy stuff behind, like you do not controle it anymore and you do not know about it.

towing is not like regular driving, if you think so, please stay home with your trailer.

2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    I’m afraid the wheelbase of a 2 door Jeep is just too short to tow anything significant.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Charles Welcome to the forum! If you search in the upper right search field on Jeep, you’ll see some interesting threads/posts, and as I usually say, some may even be relevant! I think several forum members on the T@G forum tow with jeeps, as the T@G is significantly lighter.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Twojgrams said:
    @Charles Welcome to the forum! If you search in the upper right search field on Jeep, you’ll see some interesting threads/posts, and as I usually say, some may even be relevant! I think several forum members on the T@G forum tow with jeeps, as the T@G is significantly lighter.
    In deed, plenty of people tow a T@G and T@G outback/boondock with a two door wrangler.  But, in deed, trailer weight is different.  

To me, in this case, it is not the wheel base the isue, but the towing capacity.  When you see a fairly short SUV towing a 20 ft trailer, relatively speaking, the ratio is not different.

but weight wise, that is where the real question is.  Would I do it, maybe, I would tow a T@B with my unlimited TJ that is rated for 3500 lbs.  It is the same drive train as a 2 door TJ, but the 2 door JK are heavier.  Would I do it with a regular 2 door, probably, but we do not have the same liability issue that you have down there, and I would for sure use trailer brakes and like for any other TV and trailer, drive accordingly to that fact that I tow a trailer.

And that means slowing down to safe speed, not like I'm in a rush or impatient to get on vacation cause my TV is bigger and better and rated for twice the load so I am king of the world of towing stup....  Simply cause with a trailer, if things happen, the happen fast and can go wrong even faster.

now, are you confortable with the liability issue and the drive accordingly thing.  That is your call. 

Oh yeah, Would I mention what I decide to do here you, that is up to you.

i should have mentionned that I have towed many times with my 6" lifted YJ on 35" that had bigger brakes, loads that were heavier than a T@B, and on tricky highways that were very hilly w/o brakes, but I would keep a safe speed, not rush it and be aware of my load, even in trafic, I have never had a close call for more than 15 years, cause I anticipate. And that is me. I do not care for speeding anymore and realy enjoy the road in my open top jeep.  If I would want to go fast, I would get a sport car.

• Options
    Thanks for the input Luckyj, I agree and appreciate your time for the reply.
  • Options
    PieshobbithousePieshobbithouse Member Posts: 17
    I have to confess I am a recovering jeep junky.  So I have to ask ....? Does the jeep drive hands off at highway speeds now without the trailer?. If yes  then have you upgraded the brakes a bit ? If yes then what is your axle ratio? If 3.73 or 4.10 then I say game on. Get the proper drop hitch set the tounge weight to 12% and drive safely and you can enjoy the 320. The brakes are good on the trailer as long as you get a p3 brake controller. It uses enirtia to add extra voltage when needed . The outback and a jeep are an adventure combo if you go off road on mild terrain like a beach access road of fire roads. 
    2018 CS-S
  • Options
    No issues currently at highway speeds or braking.  Axle ratio is 4.56 and I had a drum to disk upgrade on the back.  The trailer will have electric brakes and corresponding braking equipment in the Jeep.  TJs never truly brake well so after 20 years of driving it, I'm accustomed to it's handling.  I certainly know that adding a trailer to the mix can be a game changer but I'm not looking to break any land speed records or drive like Dale Jr.....

I appreciate the input from everyone and I will definitely post and update on the TJ / T@B challenges.
  • Options
    Raven359Raven359 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004, 2 door wrangler sport, straight six, 2000 pound towing capacity and mine tows like a dream. I do not have any problems with sway or control or stopping or starting. Going up big mountains (I’m from the west coast washington) I have to use the lower gears but otherwise it works well. You might want to look in to getting a lower gear ratio on your Jeep plus reduce your Jeep height and tire size. I also keep my trailer packed very light. 
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    Raven,  What T@b or T@G do you have.  My 1999 Wrangler came with the smaller 15 inch wheels. You probably already know this but the 4.0 6 cylinder motor was one of the best & most reliable motors ever produced. Mine has 140,000 & still runs great.
     You know to wave at every Wrangler you pass but if you pass me while pulling a T@B I will salute you with a great big grin on my face as you go by! Keep on enjoying rving. Art   
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @gulfarea Art, nice photo! Jealous of the cute little tug. 

Those mirrors on the front corners... What kind of advantages are there with them that far from you,  vs extending the side mirrors?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    Chan, The mirrors are spot convex mirrors the same as on an 18 wheeler, they really cover my blind spot and let me see behind on the sides. As I am older now I can see all around just by moving my eyes not my head.
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ok, I can see your point.

I've noticed that my 'head turn time' with the side mirrors ain't what it use to be!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Here's the beast in question, I'm feeling a bit more confident after reading these posts and the ones in the Wrangler TJ forums.  Thanks everyone for your input!
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Nice looking Beast there @Charles!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Nice looking Beast there @Charles!
    Indeed! :)

• Options
    BoulderjayBoulderjay Member Posts: 37
  • Options
    @Boulderjay, how not to like this pic!  :)

• Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 272
    I used to own a 97 TJ with the 4.0l six. When I towed, it had 33s on it. I towed a much heavier popup camper up and down the mountains here in AZ with no problems. 
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    Marktab320cssMarktab320css Member Posts: 22

I own a 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door 6 cylinder. I know the stated weight limits, 200 tongue, 2000 trailer. I'm towing a 2018 Tab 320 CS-S with a tongue weight of 230 and a trailer weight of 2300 loaded. I've had some trailer sway in the past which I believe was caused by a tongue weight that was too light. At 230 on the tongue, it's better. I'm still considering a Reese friction sway control bar. I bought the 2 door version before a trailer was even considered and I know I'm a bit over the weight limit. I've towed this trailer over 3000 miles and other than some sway, it's fine. I'd like to hear from other Jeep owners about their experiences and recommendations.

2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 door and a 2018 Tab 320 clamshell.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited November 2020
    Charles, I think the is questionable, and a TaG is a better fit for your Jeep.  Your big 35s are going to also pull some of you power down, and large tyres make for reduced towing capacity, unless you adjust the gearing on the rear end to compensate for the larger tyres.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @Marktab320css, this is a nea from me. The fact that you are towing over your rated capacity will probably negate any insurance claims if things go awry, regardless of the circumstances. That's a mighty big financial risk you are taking. As an example, while towing, a semi tire shreds and hits both vehicles, tv and t@b, and continues unknowingly on its way, leaving you trying to control a damaged tow vehicle while towing a damaged trailer. It is unlikely you, and those around you will remain unaffected. Your insurance can deny any claims because you are using the tow vehicle outside of its stated limits or purpose, leaving you at a total financial loss for everything, including personal injuries. Much too much reasonable risk to take for me. The mechanical damage caused by going beyond your tow rating and capacity will remain unseen and undetected until the moment it becomes dangerously apparent. If you are experiencing trailer sway already, your rig is whispering to you that something isn't correct. Increasing tongue weight only pushes your tv farther beyond its limits, and opens the door wider to allow for a disastrous incident. Good luck with properly handling this, whichever route you take.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Marktab320css, I agree with @dragonsdofly about insurance negating your claim in accident. 

You see, insurance companies are rather persistent in their quest to find fault, and unfortunately for you, once you admit it on the Internet, it will always be there. You are knowingly exceeding the tongue weight and towing weight allowed for your tow vehicle, and you have admitted to having that knowledge. The best person to ask is actually your insurance agent as they will have the final word. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
    edited November 2020
    I use my 2015 JK Rubicon with 31s and a 1.5 lift to tow our 2021 320S Boondock. Seems like match made in heaven. Just added a brake controller,  back-up camera and side mirror extensions. That said, I used to have 2002 TJ. I think it may have been underpowered to tow my Boondock.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options

2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @andyboy, what is the towing limit and tongue weight limit on your Rubicon?
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Towing limit is reportedly 3,500 lbs. and tongue weight of 200 lbs.

2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Tongue weight is usually 10% of Max towing weight. Might want to check your stats...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback