Options

Trailer Security

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated, Lowe's has some 15' "bike" cables in their towing section.  That's what I used to lock my spare and propane tank to my tongue, my bike to the bike carrier and the 80 watt Zamp solar panel to the tongue.  The cable is heavy duty.  Walmart and Menard's might have the same thing, too. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Thanks Verna, will check them out the next time near one.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I to cable my stuff together at night. For good measure I turn on my red neck alarm system by adding a couple of large cow bells to the mix. Very loud in the middle of the night. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Next time I'm near a farm store I'm gonna have to get me one of dem der redneck alarms.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2015
    I attach a cable to my 80 watt Zamp and lock it to the trailer.  The only other thing you can do is do as best you can to place it out of sight of others and try to reduce their temptation to steal it from you.  But as noted earlier, if someone wants something that you possess there is nothing that is going to deter them, even if it means damaging the solar panel.  I did speak to John Yo Zamp over a year ago and he does report that many of his panels have gotten legs and walked off while people were out sight-seeing while on vacation and traveling.  This is a very common occurrence.  I really don't trust anyone, regardless of where I am camped.  

Back in the day when I was a young, free spirited lad and owned a custom Harley Sportster I went through the same anxieties noted regarding someone stealing my scooter.  There's nothing worse than having someone rip you off and the empty, sick feeling you experience when a personal item is stolen and that sudden urge of anger and revenge suddenly pulsates through your body.  I remember reading in Chopper Magazine about a Chicago cop who owned a beautiful, custom built Harley with a raked frame and extended girder front end.  This man stored the bike inside his garage and even installed a steel pipe, sunk down in concrete that had a welded spot for him to chain the bike to and pulled his truck up tight to the bike every night.  Needless to say, thieves broke into his garage late one night, cut off the lock and chain securing the bike and had to lift it straight up to nearly rafter height, bench press it if you will and carry it over the top of his pickup truck that had been parked snugged up to the custom bike!  That gives you an idea of just how determined people are and what extremes they will go to to make off with another person's personal belongings!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I've thought about putting a label on the frame by the handle - "Cell Tracking Enabled"
    Unless you know better you could look at the Zamp controller and think it's true. Nothing there to indicate it's not true. Would probably make them think twice.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    PXLated said:
    I've thought about putting a label on the frame by the handle - "Cell Tracking Enabled"
    Unless you know better you could look at the Zamp controller and think it's true. Nothing there to indicate it's not true. Would probably make them think twice.
    So, you think they can read? =)
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    The most common campground thiefs I've encountered on the west coast are raccoons.  I lost my loaf of bread and a few of my wife's snack bars to the clever little guys last night when they managed to open a secured Rubbermaid bin.    
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    While I read that generators and solar panels are stolen, I've never met anyone who was a victim. That sure doesn't lull me into thinking it won't happen to me. I tend to be a little on the OCD side for locking everything, even when I'm nearby. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    The only place I've seen sign warning to secure your generator as there had been recent thefts was in the state parke in Morro Bay, CA.
    I'd say 90% of the generators and solar panels I've seen in campgrounds have been unsecured.
  • Options
    Rad - Maybe it should be pictograms.
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Big Bend NP in Texas is on the Rio Grande. There are signs all over the place that tell you that if you leave your vehicle it WILL be broken into.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Big Bend NP in Texas is on the Rio Grande. There are signs all over the place that tell you that if you leave your vehicle it WILL be broken into.
    One of the reasons Big Bend isn't on my list, sadly.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    But JKJENN it is one of our go to places. Stay at Chips Basin campground and you are ok in the mountains. Nice trails and we like going to the tiny town of Terlingua.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    But JKJENN it is one of our go to places. Stay at Chips Basin campground and you are ok in the mountains. Nice trails and we like going to the tiny town of Terlingua.
    I would like to go some day. How well does the NPS patrol campgrounds there?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Chi o's Basin campground is protected by mountains but is patrolled. Mountain lions are frequently seen there. The other campground is maybe 15 miles away on the Rio Grande. I would not choose to stay there but it seems many do and there is a store and  showers there.
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    anyone has this? 
    Trimax UMAX100 Universal 'Die-Cast' Dual Purpose Coupler Lock (fits all couplers
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    PXLated said:
    I've got this one...Works great...Beware, it has one of those round hollow keys. If sand manages to get in the lock you'll play hell getting it off. You stick the key in and it compresses the sand. Happened to me in a wind/sandstorm - Took me 30 minutes to suck the sand out - Yes, water in, suck with mouth out. Only other option was to remove the wheel and put the spare on.
    http://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TCL65-Wheel-Chock-Lock/dp/B0031XULF2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=04DCVQY1A5ECYRKF95SS
    Thanks PXL - per your suggestion I just ordered it on Amazon.  Getting my new T@B today and plan to buy needed accessories per recommendations from the forum (as we are first time camper and everything is new to us).  Thanks again.
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92
    Create a pen to surround your campsite. Fill with hungry lions borrowed from the nearest zoo!
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    Rad said:
    The most common campground thiefs I've encountered on the west coast are raccoons.  I lost my loaf of bread and a few of my wife's snack bars to the clever little guys last night when they managed to open a secured Rubbermaid bin.    
    This happened to us when we were tent camping at Mt. Diablo years ago.  They have wooden storage boxes at every campsite so we thought we were okay, but those raccoons took our loaf of bread and some other food that we had stored in there for our dinner.  Gone in seconds, then they stayed in the scrubs all night long, their beady eyes watching.
  • Options
    LuigiLuigi Member Posts: 31
    Mandy Lea also uses a third option...GPS tracker on Rocky. Anyone try that?
  • Options
    CincyKidCincyKid Member Posts: 83
    edited April 2018
    I recently upgraded my coupler lock from the inexpensive 'yellow' one you can buy at WalMarts to the much more substantial Proven Industries coupler lock.  A crowbar under the cheap one can defeat it in seconds, whereas the Proven Industries lock surrounds the entire coupling and doesn't appear to have any location to insert a crowbar and is made with quarter inch thick metal.  If you chose to go this route be aware that 1) they aren't cheap, and 2) for a 320S 2" ball you need the 2178-A model that will slide over the coupling used by NuCamp.  Unfortunately I ordered mine too fast (the 2178) and didn't call them to confirm the model as the 2178-A version so I had to exchange it.  The salesperson was friendly and noted that they had just talked to a person who lost the key to their coupling and it took them 5 hours to defeat the lock.  You get two keys with the lock.  Given how a trip could be easily ruined by a stolen trailer (which sound be to be a popular model) I figured it was worth the extra cost.

https://www.provenlocks.com/collections/2-trailer-coupler-locks

CincyKid
    Cincinnati, OH
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @Luigi, I heard about the Trace Spot Tracker, a GPS tracker. I picked one up, and have tried it in the car so far and it seems to work well. There is an annual fee, but it's not enough to be a problem, and the peace of mind is invaluable! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    I went a different way. My TAB is stored in my backyard where the neighbors are close. I leave the door unlocked but with an alarm switch on should it be opened. Reason is if they break into the door & do damage I have to fix it later, just the very loud alarm with neighbors on both sides so close would make the thief leave & I will not have to repair the door. I also added a tilt switch which sets the alarm wailing if the tong is raised even an inch so towing it off is not possible without it screaming all the way down the road. The lid to the propane, battery area, and rear kitchen is also armed with a switch.  Even in a camp area I set the alarm when I leave it. I cannot go into the wiring online as this would give away & make it defeat able. It was a bit of work but sure is easy just to turn on the alarm & go about my business. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    @gulfarea, Art, very smart.  A nice deterrent without lots of locks.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Have we all lost hope in humanity? Seems to be... :|
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I just hope it doesn't go off when I'm trying to sleep!  :o
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @4ncar it's not humanity I worry about in general, it's the drug makers looking for a mobile lab or someone selling stripped parts for drugs. Or just stupid people with nothing better to do. That's why I have insurance and the Spot Tracker. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    edited July 2019
    The tires on a T@B boondock are to large for many good wheel locks . However a high quality bicycle chain lock will fit through the spokes and rap around the suspension arm to prevent the wheel from turning

1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I use a wheel claw and have a lug lock. My spare is also locked. If they have the time to foil all of this, then the insurance will buy me a new trailer.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback