Options

Thunderstorm tips?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    Thanks for all the helpful information here! We planned our third trip in our new T@B for this weekend, 2 nights, about 2.5 hours from home. Now the forecast for Saturday night is a line of thunderstorms going through ahead of a cold front, with the possibility that some could contain high winds and 1 inch hail. We had decided to cancel the trip, but decided today to go for it. We purchased a large tarp and some bungee cords and we're going to put it over the trailer to protect it from hail. I hope we're not making a mistake! :anguished:

Gail & John 

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    Have fun and good luck!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Gail and John, we have a 10 x 10 canopy that we use to shield our galley on our CS-S.  One day when the T@B was parked in our driveway a predicted hail storm came up and we raised and moved the canopy over the T&B.  It worked and no damage.  Just another option if you have a sturdy pop-op.  Of course your Outback is a bit taller, so factor that in.

Sharon
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Another option is to take your patio rug and put it across the top of your T@B. That gives some cushioning, too.  

Be sure to buy a weather radio. Although mine is electrical, it still has a battery backup. I used it two times while I was Camp Hosting. One of the two times most of the campers and I went into the 1930’s Shelter house because it was the only structure around. We had a good time talking by flashlight until the tornado threat was over. Thankfully no tornado formed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon, we have a brand new dome shelter, but it was pricey and I don't want it to be torn up the first time we use it. Verna, yes I think we are going to put the rug on top and then put the tarp over it.

Gail & John 

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I like that idea Verna!   I know that when I was out in Texas those folks don't mess around when severe weather is eminent.   As a storm approached people dove under expressway bridges and since there was no room we all took cover under the gas station awnings and those gassing up their vehicles were literally trapped in place at the pumps and every available spot for cover was taken.  I learned that lesson well and have since used quarter car wash bays, etc. to shield my trailer and stay out of the line of hailstorm damage.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have actually put my largest patio rug over my truck in the driveway!  I strapped it on with ratchet straps and luckily we had no hail so the T@B didn’t get damaged.  (I tossed a coin and the truck won—I figured it would be less expensive to replace the aluminum on the T@B rather than fix the truck and fiberglass shell to my satisfaction.)

And I did place a patio rug over my 4-Wide Teardrop when hail was expected. No hail, but I had piece of mind.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    We're back and we survived the storms! We had some really strong winds. I don't know how bad, but were predicted to be up to 50 mph. We took advice here and pointed the back of the T@B in the direction from which the storms would come. We also took the advice to watch a movie, our first time to use the DVD player, but the storms came in after the movie, about the time we were going to bed. It was warm and stuffy in the T@B, so we turned on the AC and went to bed. Our little trailer didn't budge in the winds! I thought it might rock a little, but nothing, felt just like being at home, except noisier, especially during the heavy downpours. Fortunately, we didn't get any hail, but did get significant lightening and thunder. We were really tired from hiking yesterday afternoon, so we both slept through a lot of it, so if I were to give advice about getting through a  nighttime thunderstorm, just make sure you're really tired! Haha! We decided that we were more concerned about our TV getting hailed on so we put our big rug across the hood and windshield, and then tied down a big tarp over it with bungee cords. We got up this morning and the tarp was still on, but the rug was across the street. Apparently the wind blew under the tarp and blew the rug out. We have both spread across our deck, drying out for the next adventure. :)

Gail & John 

• Options
    Just wanted to revisit this topic concerning thunderstorms, lightening and how Tab owners should protect themselves and their Tab.  I read RVTravel.com and they now have a regular column on RVs and electricity (with a free newsletter that you can subscribe to and receive emails).  It is written by the same electrician in the above video - Mike Sokol.  Here is a link to a good synopsis of safety in an RV during a lightening storm.  http://rvtravel.com/rvdt881/

I understand the Faraday Cage principle, but I am not convinced of our sheilding in a Tab.  Here is a quote from the attached article where he discusses how this applies to fiberglass RVs like our Tabs with aluminum framing.

“... fiberglass-skin RVs are a different story altogether. If they’re manufactured with a welded aluminum cage using fiberglass insulated panels, I’m pretty sure the Faraday Cage effect would still work. But if your RV is fiberglass over stick (wood) construction, then I would say you’re not safe in a lightning storm, and you would want to wait it out in the tow vehicle.”

I would feel a lot better if he said the Faraday Cage definitely applies.  Instead, he says pretty sure!  So, I think the take home is:

1.  To protect the Tab electronics, disconnect from the campground pedestal because a ground strike in the campground can carry a huge voltage surge to the Tab.  

2.  There is no need to raise or use plastic under the stabilizers or jack and the tires do not provide any insulation from ground in the event of a direct strike.

3.  In the event of a lightening strike, if the Faraday Cage effect works, you are safe inside the Tab!  Sheltering in a car or truck or grounded building will definitely protect you.  So, if you are risk adverse, go sit in your TV away from any large trees!
  • Options
    robptrobpt Member Posts: 90
    If I know a strong storm is eminent I will always head to the nearest shelter or ride it out in my vehicle and away from any trees, power lines, poles or wind blown objects. 

I agree with @Michigan_Mike. The campground bathhouses usually serve as storm shelters (at least here in Florida.) It is good to be close to one. I like trees, and like the shade and shelter from wind they provide, until that tree's time is up and it snaps in a storm. I used to keep a small weather band radio on, but have since misplaced or sold the radio. This thread has served as a good reminder to me to get another one. 

In my last outing that I posted pictures of in the campsite thread, the morning we were leaving and packing up we heard a loud cracking noise with the creaking and groaning you relate to a tree that is falling. I quickly looked above, but it wasn't one of the tall trees in our immediate site. About a few hundred feet over from us in a (luckily) non-campsite area, a huge tree went down taking a few trees with it. If it had been in our immediate area, there wouldn't have been too much time to react. The thing about it was, the weather was fine that morning, but it had rained heavily prior to our trip and the trees were saturated with water and the ground wasn't stable. 

The scariest scenario for me is being in my camper at night when a strong storm develops. I would rather make it to the bath house than try to sit it out. Trying to leave at that point in your vehicle would be particularly dangerous.

North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I think if I was in my T@b and a strong storm developed while I asleep I might make a dash for the TV if a stronger building was not reachable.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    We have seen lucky tenters who had to relocate due to a post-storm, broken and hanging limb.  Really do need to look up and be aware of the trees.
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    A few suggestions I'll offer up is to make sure you check each campground when you enter and ask if they have a storm shelter should things get particularly nasty via an approaching storm front.  Many of us also carry along a weather radio that will alert you to approaching storms and allow you to react quicker and seek safety should things turn ugly.  I along with many others have been in some precarious spots while traveling and I am always looking at my sites and taking into consideration trees and the risk of them falling on my trailer, vehicle, etc.  I have gone so far as to drive in opposite directions when possible and out of the path of an approaching weather system when possible and packed up and stowed gear to keep things safe and intact.  These can be scary times when traveling but it's always best to leave yourself an out, stay to the high ground, protect your belongings and seek shelter and safety should an approaching storm place you and your family in jeopardy.  You can always replace a trailer, but you cannot replace a lost life....  As far as electrical is concerned, it wouldn't hurt to unplug the power cord and wait out the storm as lightning will follow a power line and seek out the quickest path to ground, which could easily end up inside the trailer.  I've seen a lot of lightning damage and it is unpredictable and powerful.  As long as the trailer is insulated (e.g, via the tires, plastic pads under the stabilizers and the trailer tongue jack, etc.) and you have eliminated any ground contact that is obviously your best bet.  

I'm sure others will add in some excellent advice/tips and their experiences as well.  
    In all of the packing lists I have ever read, I never saw weather radio area on there. Duh. Smacking my forehead! Thanks so much, we rode out a tornado once in a truck stop bathroom and another by pulling our vehicle on the covered walkway in between the rest stop restrooms and another in bank drive thru up against the building. We seem to attract these things.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I keep a weather radio in the T@b but they are essentially worthless in the west. The stations are so spaced out that you rarely get a signal.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    edited June 2018
    What Mike said,
    I usually ride out really bad storms in my TV or the campground's shelter.  NOT in my trailer. In those situations, I get in touch with my inner 11 year-old girl by running away screaming.  I posted a photo last year of my LG sitting hub-deep in river water with downed trees on both sides so close I couldn't get the doors open.  No thanks. I'll sit storms out up in the bathhouse or lodge.  

As to lightning,  that bolt just overcame enought resistance to jump a 15 or 20,000 foot airgap. Do you really think you can fool it with a plastic bag or a piece of plywood? If your trailer is plugged in or not, the enormous voltage/amperage potential will ignore anything you use to try and stop it.  For my money, I'll leave my faraday cage (trailer), get in my other faraday cage (tow vehicle) and drive up to a bigger, stronger faraday cage (lodge, storm shelter, concrete bathroom, nuclear-proof bunker, another state).  I can buy another camper...

Been there...done that...

WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2018
    When I travel I always keep an eye to the sky and to my iphone, etc. in tracking approaching weather systems and for planning out routes in a manner to stay safe and out of harms way as best I can.  

I entered Colorado on a trip back in 1976 after the flood that went down through Big Thompson Canyon near Loveland and killed 144 people.  Scary stuff and it's something that sticks with me and has left a life long mark or impression on me.  

Take a scenic journey down through Antelope Canyon in Page, AZ too if you're out that way, enjoy the beauty within it and understand how it was etched out.  People were killed there too unknowingly by flash floods on beautiful sunny days that happened miles away.  You just never know and water is the greatest erosional force on the planet.  Be safe, plan ahead and always stay to the high ground when setting up camp and leave yourself an out!  

https://amp.coloradoan.com/amp/87524858
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    Vehicles are considered "somewhat safe" during a lightning storm.  Given that, do you retreat to your TV at times of lightning or tough it out in your trailer despite the tongue jack being pretty much grounded?

I realize lighting can create unpredictable chaos but am interested to hear different thoughts.  (We are heading out today on our very first trip despite the forecast of thunderstorms.)
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    @Gherzig - the above discussion shares various opinions of what to do during an electrical storm.  Personally, we disconnect shorepower and wait it out in the TaB.  Disconnecting will preserve the TaB electronics with the exception of a direct strike.  It is probably safest to hang out in the tow vehicle away from large trees.
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 208
    I'd be more concerned about the crazy overhead wiring many RV park operators have run themselves, that could come down on you in a severe storm.

The concept of Bonding is standard in the transportation industry.

When we first set up the camper I wanted to ground the generator.  Leftover piece of #4 copper wire cadwelded to 40" leftover piece from 10' ground rod (basements are not that tall... ) and throughbolted to steel camper frame.  Pigtailed from there to the aluminum tray and to genset terminal.   Welded a short crossbar to top so we  can pound and pull the rod if not on rock.  Can't hurt.

After installing the Progressive Dynamics hardwired power monitor, we have encountered several state park and campground hookups that were alarmingly deficient.  NO GROUND on two, excessively low power below 113v on one that kept triggering the P.D. to shutdown temporarily.  Confirmed with multimeter.  Just in our last two multiweek trips. 

When you encounter a deficient installation, flag it, notify the owner, and follow up.
    I am amazed at some of the amateur conditions we see, including their septic and water runs.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    A ground rod connected to your trailer is not going to do anything, except attract lighting, if your trailer is the tallest thing around.  The lighting hit will fry your electrical system, arch breakers, etc.  

I was next to a sailboat, with bonded grounding system and rod on mast, when the lighting hit the mast, wend down through the grounding wire/antenna ground, hit the breaker panel and fried it, along with blowing up a bilge pump and sending bulge water into the boat’s cabin.  I hit the deck and took cover, thought a bomb had gone off at first.  Realized it was a lighting hit, looked at the 4/5-story high control tower nearby, no signs of a hit, then found the sailboats wind direction arrow, that was on top the mast, at my feet on the dock.  Then I saw the black masthead, where the lighting hit.

I learned you do not need to be the tallest thing around to get hit, and a non-grounded wooden mast is safer than a grounded aluminum one!
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.