No-see-um Window Screen Tutorial

Comments

• LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Ok, so here is my no see um in my fantastic fan.  I made it harder that it should have been.

only remove the screen circle, fold around frame, and reinstall.  If the mesh is to long, you will hear it rubing against the fan.

We can now leav the hatch open w/o fear of have theese little devils back in. :)

2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Great idea! Too bad we can't do the same on the side and front windows. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    edited February 2018
    Over time, I will find a better solution for the side windows.  For the moment, I did what was suggested in this post, but one find day, when we get better with the initial organization of our t@g, I wil look into it.  :)
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    I don't know if this will work, just tossing it out. 

Screen held in place by a rubber band like the one at bottom. 

The top of the screen is attached to the bottom of the shelf and it is now rolled up in the space at the top of the window. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Getting ready to make Photo Moms no-see-um mesh window covers.  Does anyone know if the clamshell windows are the same measurements as the 320 S?  Just need to confirm before I start cutting.  My Tab is still in storage!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    OK Photomom, thanks for the great directions.  I just made a no-see-um mesh hair net for our front window.  I did not have a cording pressor foot, only a zig-zag foot, but I made it work:)  I have a very simple machine and for some reason, the bobbin thread kept breaking.  I may have been tugging too hard.  It is not as pretty as yours, but still quite functional.  I would say "don't give up my day job" except I'm retired.  I hope the side windows go easier!
  • brookingsbrookings Member Posts: 39
    Look on youtube "tab modifications".
    Brookings - can you be a little more specific.  I can't find that you tube.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I have mom working on these, for me, but she is definitely dragging her feet. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• TMacTMac Member Posts: 1
    Just finished making a set for our 2007 T@b. Little different window set up, so I have to incorporate a little velcro to hold the nets in place, but it should be a great improvement! I couldn't get my machine to zigzag over the cord, so I ended up folding the edges and making a channel for the elastic. Worked great!

@TMac, I think I will finish my other windows folding an edge as you did.  Same outcome.  
  • TinkTink Member Posts: 28
    @TMac I am in the process of making my window covers and plan to fold over the fabric for a channel as you did. Do you kind of round the corner when you do it?
  • kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Thank you Photomom. My wife said that she could make these. However, she is not familiar with the cording or embellishment foot that you mention in your sewing instructions. Can one of these be obtained at a fabric store or sewing machine shop?
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @kybob, yes a cording foot can be purchased at the stores you mentioned, but if your wife sews even a little, she can just fold the screening over and stitch along the cut edge, making a casing. Leave a small area open and feed the elastic through the casing as we have done for years to put elastic into a waistband or wristband. Good luck. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    kybob said:
    Thank you Photomom. My wife said that she could make these. However, she is not familiar with the cording or embellishment foot that you mention in your sewing instructions. Can one of these be obtained at a fabric store or sewing machine shop?

I already had a cording foot, probably wouldn’t be worth buying for this project. The casing approach would work fine with nothing extra to buy.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • TinkTink Member Posts: 28
    Used ours this weekend. We could see the little buggers on the other side of the no seeum screen trying to figure out how to get in....thanks @Photomomfor this idea.
  • peterac50peterac50 Member Posts: 67
    Does anyone think putting velcro around the window frame and attaching velcro to a no seeum screen cut to size would work?
    Peter and Nicki; Quechee, Vt
    States Visited Map
    2019 Tab 400; 2019 TV Honda Ridgeline
    @peterac50, I wonder if the action of pulling off the velcro may stress the no seeum screen.  Really, the easiest and cheapest route is to sew a casing and feed the elastic cording through.  If you don’t sew, any local seamstress would find this to be a very easy project.  
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    The "hairnets" do help--quite a bit, but make sure you also do the bug fuzz and weatherstripping retrofit if necessary.

The gaps under the front window frame are particularly large and not at all obvious until you go looking for them. The hairnets will trap most of the bugs coming around the screens, but they'll do little to plug those gaps.
    2015 T@B S
  • LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    My wife made our No-See-Um screens, we thought of velcro since the 400 front and rear windows are arched. Issue we found with velcro, the hook side might tough the screening and possible rip or tear the hard made screens.

What we did for the curvature sides is to make a 2"x1.5" wide tab with para-cord (550) thick for the inside edge to prevent a pull through under the screen frame and 6" of thin (1/8") sew on to pass through a button hole  on the 2" wide cloth boarder around the screen material and use cord locks to cinch the thin cord tight to the screen frame. Loosen up the corner screws to pass the tab under the screen frame.

Front window, one tab for each side. Rear window, one tab for top and bottom and 2 tabs for each side. Of course the elastic cording all around for a tight bug free fit. Now to open or close the window, easy to loosen up the cord lock and the reach in to open or close the window, and yet the screen is more or less in place and easy to cinch back tight to the frame. We also like using the secondary screen for ease of viewing out, since the day screen really does impede the view more then our N0-See-Um screens do.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

@LSkrabut, do you have any pics? I have been seeing for almost 60 years and just can't visualize what you have described. Maybe my brain is age fuzzy. Pics would really help. Thanks for the detailed description, though. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Photos added using a - Tab, Cord and Cord lock method 

Utah Driven

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

Interpretation:  edged the nuseeum screen with a fabric casing, used elastic cording through the casing, tightening the cord with a cord lock.  Your hair net looks professionally made with corner bolsters.  Very nicely fitted!  This is nuCamp Allproadventures worthy!  You can offer different colored casings and cord locks.  I see a cottage industry taking shape @LSkrabut!
    edited July 2018
    @Sam - LOL, me, not likely, rather be fully retired!!!!  

As requested, photos above and more detail on method used below. Simple in design, and a pain for the wife to sew together. It took a try or 4 before we got what we were after... :)

No-See-Um netting and elastic cord (Shock Cord 1/8 Inch) was purchase in a SpringBar Tent store, where they make the tents in SLC, UT. 

The Papa Cord for the sides and Cord Lock are from Amazon, (Para Cord Type 1 1/16 inch (1.85mm)

Tab material was thin nylon web 2" wide x approx. 1 1/2" long, cut to include 550 Para Cord on edge width to keep the tab from being pulled out. The 1 1/16 Para Cord is appx 6" long, sew on attached with 2 strands to be tied or as we used a Cord Lock to keep the border tight again the screen frame, but easy to loosen to close the window or adjust the T@B's screens.

The Shock Cord was kept longer than needed to go around the boarder and initially using a Cord Lock to adjust tension and length, then a knot tied to keep tension then Cord Lock removed. Why, the Cord Lock in the corner tends to slip out, but the Shock Cord (and knot) will stay in place in each of the corners.

Utah Driven

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

Thanks.  I need to see if I can make use o the cord locks.
    @LSkrabut, thanks. Much easier to see how and what was done.
  • COcamperCOcamper Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2018
    Thanks @Photomom! I ordered 3 yards of noseeum net from Seattle Fabrics and made my screens this past weekend. I got 9 yards of elastic for about $2.50 from the fabric store. I sewed a channel for the elastic and threaded through after completing instead of zigzagging over the elastic. Not something we need for Colorado normally,  but for future trips beyond.  Very excited to have these on hand. Took a few hours but totally worth it and they fit like a glove. Great tip on sewing a piece of ribbon to the front window screen to differentiate it. With the extra I am making a panel to attach across the door. 

2017 CS-S Silver / Red Trim "Tuesd@y" | 2019 F-150 Abyss Gray | 13 States
    On Instagram: @dogmomming
    @COcamper, you might also consider making a cover for the roof fan. Those blood sucking buggers can make their way in there, too.
  • COcamperCOcamper Member Posts: 43
    @dragonsdofly oh yes, that was part of it. The hardest part was figuring out how the screen simply just snaps out of the assembly. I kept spinning it, and spinning it, and spinning it.... Thank you!
    2017 CS-S Silver / Red Trim "Tuesd@y" | 2019 F-150 Abyss Gray | 13 States
    On Instagram: @dogmomming
    I tried @Luckyj’s mod above from the inside of the screen - no go as the blades kept hitting a piece of the fabric screening.  I think I need to make a hair net that will fit around the lip of the screen.  Need very thin cording and maybe no casing.