What do you check on your Tab before resuming towing after an unattended break?

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
We all do thorough initial pre-tow checks including making sure everything is closed, locked and secure.  Do you repeat your entire drill or limit it to specific items on your list?  
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

What do you check on your Tab before resuming towing after an unattended break? 31 votes

I do a complete walk around including checking chains, coupler, brake-away brakes connection, brake and turn lights.
45% 14 votes
All of # 1 but I exclude checking my trailer lights.
25% 8 votes
I only check safety devices like my chains, coupler, and brake-away brake connections.
19% 6 votes
If my Tab is still there when I return, I’m good.
9% 3 votes

Comments

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @SAM, we have never had an unattended break. With 4 of us, while on the road, someone is always with our tv and trailer. That being said we do a walk around looking at chains, 7 pin, tires, rc connection, coupler, door, windows and do a lights check whenever we stop while accumulating serious miles. If we tow into a town and make multiple stops, we do the walk around once before we begin the long haul.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • broderiusbroderius Member Posts: 32
    What happens to everyone after an unattended break that this question comes up? 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @broderius, depending on where you park your TV/Tab, passersby may mess with your Tab and/or hitch connections.  
    We do a walk around, but we do not check for our trailer light operation.  
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Checking the lights is easily done. Just throw the flashers and headlights on and check everything as you walk around. I have a habit of touching, or at least pointing to, whatever I’m checking so that I’m not just going through the motions. No one is allowed to interrupt me—zombies, well-wishers, passengers, dogs, etc.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited July 2018
    I do a quick check the hitch and its associated components. Trailer separation = not cool.

Sometimes I feel the hubs right after stopping. I had some issues my first season when I think my brakes were a little out of adjustment. No issues since then.
    2015 T@B S
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    A walk-around is a MUST if you leave your trailer unattended for ANY period of time. A few moments of your time could save you HOURS, or a trailer gone. Just safety & common sense, in my most humble opinion. ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    ScottG said:
    I do a quick check the hitch and its associated components. Trailer separation = not cool.

Sometimes I feel the hubs right after stopping. I had some issues my first season when I think my brakes were a little out of adjustment. No issues since then.
    I check the hubs every time I stop. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I do a second walk around & hitch check at the dump station before leaving the campground, and once I found my wife had inadvertently removed the coupler clip that I had put on when we hitched up to leave the camp site.  After that incident, I replaced the clip with a padlock which now stays on all the time, whether hitched or unhitched.
    I also replaced the receiver pin with a locking one, so that should minimize tampering with the two most vulnerable & critical hitch components. 

I believe "operator error" is a far greater risk than any mischievous tampering while parked at a restaurant for 30 minutes, or even overnight at a hotel (but I'd probably do another walk around then).  For that matter, we only check lug nuts before each trip, but they could be tampered with while unattended.  But like any travel situation, it's wise to be aware of your surroundings & act appropriately.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    BrianZ said:
    I do a second walk around & hitch check at the dump station before leaving the campground, and once I found my wife had inadvertently removed the coupler clip that I had put on when we hitched up to leave the camp site.  After that incident, I replaced the clip with a padlock which now stays on all the time, whether hitched or unhitched.
    I also replaced the receiver pin with a locking one, so that should minimize tampering with the two most vulnerable & critical hitch components. 

I believe "operator error" is a far greater risk than any mischievous tampering while parked at a restaurant for 30 minutes, or even overnight at a hotel (but I'd probably do another walk around then).  For that matter, we only check lug nuts before each trip, but they could be tampered with while unattended.  But like any travel situation, it's wise to be aware of your surroundings & act appropriately.

I using a locking receiver and a locking coupler pin, as well.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My unintended breaks come from an obnoxiously loud whine from the backseat. It gets louder and louder until I stop. Usually means da pup has ta tinkle.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    @Ratkity, LOL - unattended not unintended!  Ha ha! Although, if Popper has to pee, trailer would be unattended.
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Add Check battery switch, and Check that the fridge vent covers are properly hooked in and knobs in the locked position. Somewhere in the middle of the great State of Washington is my top vent cover... along with a couple of odds and ends in the tub that never budged-until that trip, like my fly swatter. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red