Mosquito fix for t@b windows

Comments

• Explorers2Explorers2 Member Posts: 5
    Hello all, my wife and I are new 2018 T@b 320S owners! After reading all about this topic, I called NuCamp and got the bug fuzz sent to me, but there was no foam and no mention of any need for any foam when I was talking to the NuCamp folks about the fix for mosquitoes. They did say I didn't need the fuzz for the front window as it already had it from the factory. I will be doing the install for the side windows this week. Is the foam only needed for the gap at the bottom of the front window and does that gap exist in the 2018 model? I ask because I didn't notice any gaps around any window frames and thought perhaps this was addressed already. Also I assume the plastic corners of the window screen frames just pop off with a flat head screw driver - if not, someone please clue me in on how to remove those. 

Thank you! 
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    edited June 2020
    @ScottG I finally got up the nerve and installed the fuzz on both side windows. Many thanks to @rkj__ for a great description of a much simpler method! 
    Here’s what I did:
    Don’t take any of the framing off.
    Remove the white plastic strip. It just pulls out easily once you grab a hold of it. 

Use this strip as a template for the fuzz length you need. 

Insert the fuzz into the edge of the slot closest to the white and black nylon cords. Be careful to keep the cords out of the way of the fuzz while installing it. 

I used a dinner knife to tuck the side opposite the cords into the slot. It pops right in with a gentle nudge. I ran the dull tip of the blade along both sides of the fuzz to be sure it was all tucked in and that I hadn’t accidentally tucked the cording in. Voila!  I hope this helps! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Explorers2 the easiest way to find your front window gaps is to shine a flashlight at it from the outside at night, while someone inside can see the gaps. I finally had a trip where the lighting finally showed me the gaps. Surprise!  :)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I was only able to see the gaps if I opened the window, stuck my head into the opening, and looked directly at the space between the frame and the camper wall. If you have done that (and/or tried Homebodyatheart's light trick) and you still don't see any gaps, the factory may well have mitigated this problem in the 2018 models. Given that they added the fuzz to the front windows this wouldn't surprise me.

However, why they didn't add the fuzz to all the windows at the same time does surprise me, so taking a close look at your own trailer is well advised!
    2015 T@B S
  • COcamperCOcamper Member Posts: 43
    I did it!
    First window - passenger side - removed completely per instructions that came in the box Took about an hour and the entire time thought there's got to be a better way.
    Second window - drivers side - can't get to the top frame screws so came at it from the underside per @4ncar and @rkj__ . Did not remove screws, just popped out the black cord's set screw. Took 15 minutes. Just sayin'. Thanks all!

2017 CS-S Silver / Red Trim "Tuesd@y" | 2019 F-150 Abyss Gray | 13 States
    On Instagram: @dogmomming
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited July 2018
    Someone was kind enough to record a video of the task at üCamp. You do have to be a üCamp group member to view, but I am sure Allison will approve your membership if you wish to view. https://m.facebook.com/groups/155236755095160?view=permalink&id=220204545265047

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• RedDoorGalsRedDoorGals Member Posts: 23
    Worked great with the slip in method. I used a putty knife.  Thanks Team!!
    2018 T@B CS-S; pulled by a 2010 Toyota Tacoma v6
  • splatmattsplatmatt Member Posts: 28
    @rkj__ and @Homebodyatheart

We just installed our bug guard in less than 15 minutes for the 2 windows. Thanks for the detailed info. Glad we checked around prior to doing an unnecessary disassembly of the window frame. 
    Previous: 2018 T@B 320 S (Sprout)
    Current:  2020 Airstream Bambi 20FB (Pearl)
    TV: 2019 Chevy Silverado (Rhubarb "Rhuby" 1500)

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    We didn't pursue this until now.  I saw Scott Hubble's post and part number.  Since Elsie doesn't take orders anymore, I have to contact the dealer right?  Or, does Horrex send this to individuals too.  I'm not too concerned about a small fee.  Is there a link that could be shared?

(hard to believe we made our no seeum netting for the windows 3 years ago.  Not sure I remember, but I think it was Photomom's directions... Thanks again for that)
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    I grabbed this from Amazon.  Not sure if it is an exact match,  but it fit in the grooves for me.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @TerryV6, since there is no money involved with this, I suggest you call or email Elsie.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2019
    @TerryV6...
    ScottG said:
    For those looking to source their own fuzz, I found a scrap and was able to measure it. It is 7/16" deep, and the backing is 7/16" wide.
    ScottG said:
    I purchased 10' of 1/2" wide by 3/8" deep self stick vinyl weatherseal, covered all four edges, and reinstalled the frame without incident. (If you do this I recommend vinyl or poly weatherseal, as they compress better than rubber.)
    Worst case I'm sure you can find an outside source for the fuzz. I bought some online for the edges of a screen door I built.

The weatherseal is to fill the gap between the front window frame and the inside wall of the camper. Any hardware store should have it--Frost King is a common brand. I had the nuCamp kit and still had to buy extra. (See my posts above from May 2018 for more info.)
    2015 T@B S
    Thanks Sharon, Scott and Pthomas.  I ordered the stuff listed by Pthomas...  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• badnutsbadnuts Member Posts: 9
    rkj__ said:
    Ok, so I decided to take a look at this. 

First off, the front window has massive gaps, all the way around the frame.  I was not sent nearly enough foam strip to seal that off, so I decided to leave the front window as is for now.  Am I missing something here?

Anyway, I shifted my focus to the side windows.  I really did not want to take the window frames off, or apart.  I hoped I could just "stuff" the rail brushes (aka "bug fuzz") in place.  It turns out, I could. 

1.  I started by popping off the corner pieces on one side, to clearly see how long I needed to cut my piece.  I then cut the brush to length, using household scissors. 

2.  I inserted the top corner of the plastic base of the brush into the slot. 

I then slid that top corner to near the top of the slot.  I then used the tip of the scissors, to push in the other top corner of the brush base into the slot, pushing on the plastic base, not the brush bristles.  You may wish to use another tool, like a flat head screw driver.  I worked my way down a few inches, pushing the base of the brush into the slot with the tip of the scissors.  Click click click as it pops into place.   

3.  Using my fingers to grip the brush bristles, I slid the top of the brush all the way up into the slot.

4.  I then repeated the procedure at the bottom end of the brush, being careful to not push the white or black cord into the slot. 

5.  I continued to work the base of the brush into the slot, finishing near the middle of the brush. 

6.  Finally, I tested the screen and shade operation.  Everything still slid smoothly.  The only change I noticed was that on the one window, the friction of the brush caused the screen to not accordion perfectly uniformly at the top.  It can be straightened out in just a couple seconds if desired.

7.  The end result is that bugs will indeed have to work a little harder to get though.  Will it be completely bug proof?  I'm not sure, but it will certainly be better.  I suspect it will defend against mosquitoes pretty well, but smaller pests found in some areas might still find a way.  Time will tell.

I am not necessarily endorsing this installation method, or suggesting you do it the same way.  I am simply sharing what I did.  I encourage you to use your own good judgement before choosing your approach.
    This works like a dream!  I was about to take the window apart to slide the bug fuzz in and thought that I might give this a try.  So glad I did.  All three windows took less than a half an hour.
    2017 T@B 320S, 2020 Hyundai Palisade, Duluth Minnesota
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    One additional tip or tool to bolster the bug fuzz is to keep on hand in the trailer one of the battery operated bug zapper tennis rackets.  Bugs and flys have a knack for hanging out next to and above the door and easily find their way into the trailer.  We keep a zapper at the ready in the small recessed area over the table in our 400 and I am able to easily make short work of any no-see-ems, etc. that find their way in.  Walmart carries the bug zappers and they are worth their weight in gold.  😀👍🏻

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Just don't touch your tongue to the mesh of the zapper...  grin...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

TerryV6 said:
    Just don't touch your tongue to the mesh of the zapper...  grin...
    No worries there. I can be pretty bold for the sake of science, but just stickin' my finger in there was enough to convince me my tongue was not a good idea!

Well, maybe not. I am pretty curious...  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
    Well, sad to report that the bug fuzz did not help us at the world’s mosquito test site of Assateague.  The no-see-em hair nets did trap some mosquitos between the net and screens.  We also experienced the screens blowing out of their side tracks for the first time.  Today, while cleaning the camper at home, I noticed there are large gaps at the top and bottoms of the door screen.  Guess I found another area for some bug fuzz.
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Does having the Fantastic Fan pulling air down from the roof and pushing it out the screens keep the bugs away in such trying environs...  or was it too hot for that this weekend?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited July 2019
    DougH said:
    Does having the Fantastic Fan pulling air down from the roof and pushing it out the screens keep the bugs away in such trying environs...  or was it too hot for that this weekend?
    Yes, as long as every window & door isn’t open...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    Maybe need some no see um for the fan unit...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @TerryV6, if you pull the air out with the Fantastic Fan, the bugs get caught on the screen of the FF and they don’t last long!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    But they were talking about pulling air in...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• BrookyBrooky Member Posts: 33
    I read about the Bug Fuzz, just wondering what size it is and where can you get it? We have a 2015 CS-S Max.
    @Brooky, see my post of July 10 above. It was pretty easy to find online--I think I ordered some through Amazon.
    2015 T@B S
  • spronzkspronzk Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2019
    nuCamp told us this month that we have to order via "our dealer".  Ugh.  Once I understand the process and the correct size, I'll be ordering it elsewhere for sure.
    2017 T@B 320 S in Florida
    2017 T@B 320 S
    I contacted nuCamp.

Since this is something that nuCamp supplies you can email and request it.

First confirm that you don’t have the rail brush/Bug Fuzz in the window(s).
    Email your request including the model of TaB or TaG and if you need coverage for the front window, too.
    Include Name and address.

Parts@nucamprv.com

Here is an easy way to install it (this method is from forum member’s experience).

1.  Fully retract the shade and screen.

2.  Some windows were installed with a thin, plastic ribbon insert that covers the slot for the rail brush just in front of the cording.  Gently lift an edge of the spacer with a putty knife or flat edged screw driver and remove it to reveal the groove.

3.  Use scissors to cut the rail brush the length of the plastic insert.  If no spacer was installed, cut the rail brush the length of the vertical, plastic window frame (pop off the corner pieces to confirm length).

4.  Starting half way up the window, use a putty knife to insert the top corner edge of the rail brush into the exposed slot.  Continue this for a few inches, then push the other side of the brush rail into the slot along side the first edge.  Be careful to avoid pushing the cords into the slot.

5.  Slide the inserted brush all the way to the top of the slot.

6.  Next, again starting half way up the window, repeat step 4 using the lower edge of the brush rail.  Then slide the lower inserted brush all the way to the bottom of the slot.  

7.  Push the remainder of the brush rail into the slot.  Finish near the middle of the window.

I will try again but this is what they sent:

Mon, Aug 12, 10:31 AM (8 days ago)
    to noreply, me
    Hello Karin,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us with your question.  We do carry the bug brushes but we do not sell direct from the factory so you would have to order through one of our established dealers and we could have it dropped shipped to your address if you desire.  I hope this helps and if you have any other questions please reach out.

Have a great day!

Michael Skidmore
    Customer Experience
    844.823.9112 Ext: 211
    2017 T@B 320 S
    Email Parts@Nucamprv.com not customerservice.  That will get you to the correct department.

It worked!  Thank you. 
    Regarding Assateague, I kayak camped there years ago in December.  The wind was crazy and made it very cold at times, but no bugs that time of year. 
    Best wishes.
    Karin

Sharon_is_SAM said:
    I contacted nuCamp.

Since this is something that nuCamp supplies you can email and request it.

First confirm that you don’t have the rail brush/Bug Fuzz in the window(s).
    Email your request including the model of TaB or TaG and if you need coverage for the front window, too.
    Include Name and address.

Parts@nucamprv.com

Here is an easy way to install it (this method is from forum member’s experience).

1.  Fully retract the shade and screen.

2.  Some windows were installed with a thin, plastic ribbon insert that covers the slot for the rail brush just in front of the cording.  Gently lift an edge of the spacer with a putty knife or flat edged screw driver and remove it to reveal the groove.

3.  Use scissors to cut the rail brush the length of the plastic insert.  If no spacer was installed, cut the rail brush the length of the vertical, plastic window frame (pop off the corner pieces to confirm length).

4.  Starting half way up the window, use a putty knife to insert the top corner edge of the rail brush into the exposed slot.  Continue this for a few inches, then push the other side of the brush rail into the slot along side the first edge.  Be careful to avoid pushing the cords into the slot.

5.  Slide the inserted brush all the way to the top of the slot.

6.  Next, again starting half way up the window, repeat step 4 using the lower edge of the brush rail.  Then slide the lower inserted brush all the way to the bottom of the slot.  

7.  Push the remainder of the brush rail into the slot.  Finish near the middle of the window.

2017 T@B 320 S