Options

Golf Cart batteries install

Comments

• Options
    lightningdonlightningdon Member Posts: 30
    Just picked up 2 Duracell 230AH 6V golf cart batteries at Batteries and Bulbs in Winchester, VA for $98 each, purchased online with special code and picked up in store.
    Don
    2017 T@G XL Max
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 with 6 Sp manual
  • Options
    luvmytabluvmytab Member Posts: 66
    tomorrow 2 Duracell 230AH 6V golf cart batteries will be installed on my tongue. will take pix and post
    Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner
  • Options
    ok, got the batteries installed and the lights went on!!!
    The reading on battery #1 is 6.27 volts and #2 is 6.19 volts. The question now is How many volts do they need to be ? I will plug it in to shore power before heading out on maiden voyage.Appreciate any feedback
    Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited June 2017
    Luvmytab,  here is a chart to get you started.  There are many discussions on the forum regarding battery usage.  Your state of charge will be higher when you have a load running, so to get a true state of charge you will need to isolate your batteries and let them rest for several hours.  Since your lights work, I assume they are connected correctly and when you plug in a 12 volt monitor it will reflect the 12 V charge - not the 6 v of each battery.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @luvmytab, you must wire the batteries in series to give yourself 12V.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    verna, does this mean they are not wired in series since we are getting separate battery readings and just adding the numbers to equal the total voltage? Should we be getting the full voltage reading combined when we use the voltmeter? i appreciate your help. I have a hard time with all the language and understaning battery stuff ....feel like i need a remedial course training!! 
  • Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    luvmytab,

two 6 volt golf car batteries connected in series

The diagram shows how your batteries should be connected, in series. If you put your voltmeter across where it says Negative and Positive in the diagram, that should measure 12 volts +. 
    Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    luvmytab said:
    ok, got the batteries installed and the lights went on!!!
    The reading on battery #1 is 6.27 volts and #2 is 6.19 volts. The question now is How many volts do they need to be ? I will plug it in to shore power before heading out on maiden voyage.Appreciate any feedback
    As Verna noted the batteries must be wired in series and if your lights and 12 volt devices are all working as they should you are probably good to go.  You are obviously measuring the battery voltage of each battery (in the reads you posted) and your wiring should look similar as shown below in the photo and as shown in the post above this one.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    thanks, got it! 
  • Options
    ps, after all this work, heading out for maiden voyage tomorrow... I have lost my T@B Keys and key to propane. And can't find the extra set. So, in morn will call a locksmith and hopefully they can help  :o =

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @luvmytab, Call the parts department for replacement keys for your T@B. Make sure 'ya get an extra, I did! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    happy to report, my local locksmith made new keys for the door and the propane tub....what a relief and had some great time in the mountains of Silverton, CO
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Great to hear! When my sister got her Outback, her spare key was a blank lol. I had a spare Yakima key blank too (fixed). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    I am trying to see if I can fit 2 golf cart batteries in my stock plastic tub. Others seem to be able to do it. So I cut out a piece of cardboard the size of 2 batteries 10.5 by 14.5 and tried to fit it in there. (I understand that the power switch and gas connector will need to be moved) In order for it to fit I would need to move the propane tank almost 2 inched to the passenger side. Not sure I could move it that far. Where am I going wrong?
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Please be careful. You might want to detach the tub first. Those batteries weigh 68# a piece.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    This is an upgrade I want to do very soon...especially since the "high quality " battery my dealer gave me is only 85ah!!!!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Super happy with our Costco golf cart setup. Just spent 7 days boondocking and they still read 12.5v when we left.  Granted fridge was on propane, and electric was used mostly for recharging phones and a few lights at night.  Nice not to worry about running out.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    What brand/model are your Costco batteries?
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @db_cooper Do you have solar and if so, how many W.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    They are Interstate branded batteries, not sure of model, only choice at Costco. We used an 80 watt zamp for 3 afternoons for a couple hours each time. Can't say that added many amp hours back to the battery, but it coincided with recharging phones/cameras.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87
    Consider buying an Outback platform and putting the batteries in a separate battery box mounted on one side. You will have lots of room in the tub for chocks, etc.

• Options
    sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
    We just spent our first weekend with our new pair of Costco golf cart batteries.  It was a huge success.  The main reason for the upgrade was to allow me to run my cpap off of battery without draining it.  Started with the batteries at 12.8v.  After one night they were down to 12.5v.  After the second night, the draw was just 12.4v.  

I use an Airsense 10, but then off the humidifier and heated hose.  I still put water in the humidifier tank, for passive humidity.  This was recommended on another forum.  After trying this method for two weekends, I'm satisfied.  I'm not ending up with dried out sinuses.

We did not rent a generator this weekend, and so not have solar.  We did not use any interior lights, opting for a battery lantern instead.  We also did not use the fantastic fan.  Oh, and no charging of devices.

I did just complete the Jensen radio power switch cutoff mod last week, as well, to reduce power drain, and had unplugged the TV.

Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I run my Resmed S9 without the humidifier or heated hose in an effort to conserve energy.  I've done a lot of boondocking (have the set-up above) and haven't suffered any adverse effects.  But at least you now have a better idea as to what you can do....  Congrats!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Nice...as I’ve been wanting to install 2x6’s for a while, but thought I’d have to install them outside on the tongue.  So...no straps or battery box inside?

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    @DurangoTaB, I did do straps, in each direction, and used sign plastic/coroplast to fashion a bit of a cover.  That was a super tight fit, there’s no way a battery box would fit.
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    @elbereth, I really like this set-up and might pursue it when my current group 27 battery needs replacing.

Can you tell me if the base of the batteries extends beyond the rearmost frame member (green arrow in photo below), and if so my how much? It looks like it might be close.

I have my sewer hose carrier mounted in that space and that limits use of that lower space. Thanks! 

2015 T@B S

• Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    @ScottG, they do go back just about an inch past the frame member.  I hope you could still make them fit!
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I was wondering the same thing, @ScottG.  Wondering also if you could go up higher.
     & over the sewer tube if needed?
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Thanks, @elbereth--I'll have to do some careful measuring to see what I could squeeze in there.

@BrianZ, the problem with going up is that the outward curvature of the T@B body also limits the front-to-back space available. At least that would be the issue with my current group 27 set-up. However, it would be worth confirming this with some actual measurements.
    2015 T@B S