State parks Coronavirus closings

Comments

• 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @Verna is absolutely right.  Stay Home, Stay Safe!  Boondock in your driveway... have a virtual campfire over a video stream with friends... be patient. 
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2020
    Thanks @Verna @2Cougs, makes staying put easier.

I love back country skiing / ski touring, and when the ski resorts all closed, similarly equipped folks weren't held up, they just parked at the base near Loveland Pass and similar areas...  skinned or hiked to the top, then enjoyed free turns all the way down.

A bit densely packed for social distancing.  The state figured that out and said no uphill skiing... All of Loveland and similar areas are closed... STAY HOME!  They even put up signs.

Oh, and a third of Texas State Parks are now closed, and the others have alerts that most the others have facility closings, and only accept online payment.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/parks-map

UPDATE:  A beautiful Saturday morning, and a number of folks didn't get the word.  Notice that people (and the dog) seem to be facing the new arrival on the scene with the markings and blue lights...  Locals are maybe allowed to be here though.

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    The thing that folks seem to forget is that getting from point a to point b is part of the problem...you don't simply arrive at your destination in remote paradise without driving many miles, stopping for gas and food, using rest facilities and planes trains and automobiles. Frankly, anyone that is on the return leg of a trip should lockdown when they get home. Anyone on an outbound journey (why?) should arrive and isolate. With the way this virus works there is no way to know that you arrived at your destination unexposed. The right thing to do is to act as though you have been exposed. If there are no symptoms after two weeks, carry on. If there are get help but stay put until someone tells you to move about. 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Moab has now asked the NPS to close Arches and Canyonlands. I am sure the NPS will do so with a day or two.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    During the press conference today of Dr. Northam (Virginia Governor) it was said that all public AND private campgrounds were to close after Friday night, 3/27 to overnight visitors. The reasoning was to protect the local communities from possible virus spread by travelers, as @jkjenn has been promoting for some time now (you've got some real pull there girl!).

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Indiana State Park Campgrounds are now closed EXCEPT for full timers. 

Here is the Governor’s statement:

All campgrounds at state parks will be closed except for those who use recreational vehicles or cabins as their primary residence.”

There is no mention that the State Parks are closed to day use—fingers crossed as many people are hiking the many trails in the State Parks for exercise. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    The key to parks being open is everyone practicing social distancing when using them.  The parks in Florida closed because they became social gathering points.  Ride your bike with family keeping space to others, yep.  Party in the pavilion with 50+ others, nope. 
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    The key to parks being open is everyone practicing social distancing when using them.  The parks in Florida closed because they became social gathering points.  Ride your bike with family keeping space to others, yep.  Party in the pavilion with 50+ others, nope. 
    We saw a similar issue here in Oregon.  We went camping on the coast the week before Oregon got the stay at home order.  Stayed away from everyone and it was pretty easy to do.  On our drive back to Portland on Saturday March 14th there was a line of traffic on U.S. Highway 26 almost all the way back to Portland from Cannon Beach.  I told my wife if we were in a line like that we would turn around and go home.  Way too many people going to the small towns and beaches where restaurants and other facilities were already carry out only or completely closed.  No lodging available for anyone who might want to spend the night.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Seems that many are using the stay at home orders as vacations.    I am sure we have all seen the videos of the lines of people in Zion recently.    Driving by the parks on the way home from work you would never have known we are in the middle of a stay at home order.     

But Americans would never stand for forced isolation like china or Italy and we will pay the price for that freedom with the highest infection rate and death toll on the planet.

I just don't understand.    Maybe we need some unblurred video from the Covid ICU's to change peoples attitudes.    If you are admitted to the ICU with it your chances arent good.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Governor orders all Texas State Parks closed April 7th, by close of business.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    Yea, I just saw the Texas Parks notification.  Really stinks since we were set up to head out on Sunday for a few days,
  • jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    Wisconsin State Park and National Forest campgrounds are closed. 
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    +1 
    It's strange, the denial in all sorts of parts of our society. I mean, the 'spring break' kids I could understand, as I was about as self-centered and oblivious at that age. But it's not just the kids ...

Cbusguy said:
    Seems that many are using the stay at home orders as vacations.    I am sure we have all seen the videos of the lines of people in Zion recently.    Driving by the parks on the way home from work you would never have known we are in the middle of a stay at home order.     

But Americans would never stand for forced isolation like china or Italy and we will pay the price for that freedom with the highest infection rate and death toll on the planet.

I just don't understand.    Maybe we need some unblurred video from the Covid ICU's to change peoples attitudes.    If you are admitted to the ICU with it your chances arent good.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Yesterday Ohio's state medical director said the stay at home order is working and she said it has decreased our expected surge from 10k per day Down to 1.5k.    which is better but if the expected 20 percent of those need hospitalized....that means 300 hospital beds per day.   Yikes...  Much better than 2k hospital beds per day.
  • jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    The Wisconsin governor has closed almost all state parks completely due to large numbers of people visiting, vandalism and garbage.  
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    Still open near us on the Minnesota border,  we must be better behaved out west!

• mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    If any of you starts to hear inklings of campgrounds beginning to open up, would you post here? I will monitor the list on Campendium but you all may find out before they would. Crossing my fingers it'll be safe starting in July  :)    Thanks!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    Before making any plans you should also be monitoring state and county orders. Many communities are enforcing travel restrictions against any non-essential travel. Permissible travel is restricted to healthcare and food shopping. Communities do not want non-residents passing through using their stores, stopping at their gas stations, bringing continuous uncertainty about the spread of 19 into their communities. Although some states have failed to implement stay at home guide lines that does not hold true everywhere. Take @ChanW 's spring break kids comment to heart. 
  • mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    @tabiphile - yep, I'll be cognizant of all travel communities - but my plans were made WELL before any of this started (just how I roll) - so I'm just hoping it'll be okay this summer. If not, I will definitely alter my plans or cancel if need be. 
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

The may trip was just canceled by the destination camp site..........    Hopefully June will be okay.

Oh well I am gonna spend the night in it even if it is just in the backyard.
    Yeah, we had to return from our N.M. trip early, so we've been having our morning coffee and dominos in the Tab in the back yard. 

(I've been showering there too, but not by choice.... Our septic system failed! Bad timing for getting a service guy out here!)
    Cbusguy said:
    The may trip was just canceled by the destination camp site..........    Hopefully June will be okay.

Oh well I am gonna spend the night in it even if it is just in the backyard.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    @ChanW misery must love company.    About two weeks ago now we had 4 feet of sewer water in our basement.    Columbus received 3 inches of rain in 2 hours.  New furnace, washer dryer freezer beer fridge.......at least the insurance paid for the clean up furnace washer and dryer.......rest is on my dime.

It was the day before our departure date for New Orleans.   The reservations had been canceled and it was like the good Lord was saying.....see I told you not to go

Hopefully you get your septic issues addressed quickly.   Just expensive.....parents have a leaching well that needed replaced a few years ago and the codes of course had changed and they needed an aerator, lift station and chlorinator.    During Vists I get to fill the chlorinator and make sure everything is running.....he is in his 80s

edited April 2020
    Yeah @Cbusguy, that sounds too familiar! But I think you had it way worse than we did. Our indicator was only a little bit of seepage in the basement.

Well actually... The septic system seized up before our trip, but I was NOT gonna cancel the trip! Got the tank pumped and left town.

We arrived in the Southwest, and things started closing. We were gonna go skiing 'the next day', and they closed all the ski hills that night! Argh!

We did enjoy a lot of gorgeous hikes however, some lovely hot springs, and had the campgrounds pretty much to ourselves (with our own private NPS Ranger, and a very clean restroom!)

All the shops in Taos were closed, except one excellent coffee shop, and one excellent restaurant....

...so we felt we had a great trip anyway.

We skedaddled back home when we realized how fast things were getting bad. Didn't want to be caught in a strange place if the worst happened.

The septic guys promised they'd come back when we returned, but I think they're paying heed to the governor's 'stay home' recommendation.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    With our new 'situation', I've learned a couple of things about showering in the Tab.

The Alde hot water "tank" capacity is really at the bottom limit for a shower, especially if you want to get the soap off... :s (An 'additional hot water storage  tank' solution is in the cards for the Tab.)

And, thanks to my DW's excellent suggestion, I've found that I actually can get a long hot shower, if I run a hose to the Tab from the hot tap in the basement sink!

By the time that hot water gets to the Tab (75 feet or so and 38°F outside), its temp is just about perfect for a shower, for a really long shower, thanks to that great water conserving showerhead in there!

Finally, a long hot shower that won't overflow our septic tank! (Can't wait til this 'stay at home' order is lifted!)

Now, when will campgrounds start providing hot water at campsites?!? Seems like the wave of the future, if you ask me!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @ChanW it took me a few moments to switch mental gears while reading your post... I was trying to imagine a basement in your Tab and wondered what in the world were you talking about! Now I remember... you’re camp at home!
    :rofl:
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    edited April 2020
     :o
    @Homebodyatheart, if it were the Tab basement, i wouldn't need such a long hose... Maybe that's the next project, a basement for the Tab! 

Ok,  a bit off thread.

Back on topic. All those closed state parks made it very hard to get a shower (other than the Tab's great -short!- shower), while making our mad dash back to Western New York.

I've begun to depend on Indiana's nice State Parks! When they're open!

Walmart isn't too good for showers. Has anyone taken advantage of truck stop showers? Pilot? Flying J? I used a truck stop shower once in my hitchhiking days, but my standards were a bit low back then!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    You can an Alde Flow hot water aux tank to your Alde system to get more hot water for a shower.
    I am looking into doing this to our late 2018 TaB 400.  You need the Alde 3020 do add the Flo set up.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    That's interesting to see.

It says it will work with the earlier 3010, but only as a hot water storage tank, rather than an additional water heater.

I wonder what the difference is between the functionality of the 3010 vs the 3020 that limits it for this.
    Denny16 said:
    You can an Alde Flow hot water aux tank to your Alde system to get more hot water for a shower.
    I am looking into doing this to our late 2018 TaB 400.  You need the Alde 3020 do add the Flo set up.
    cheers

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited April 2020
    @ChanW I’ve heard the truck stop showers are good, and they even provide good towels for the showers, too. Evidently, even before Covid-19, as soon as someone finished in the shower, an attendant would go in after you were done, and fully clean the shower so it was ready for the next occupant. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    That's cool, and a great resource for the future.

We had a layover at Heathrow Airport one time, and decided to check the showers. The terminal was fairly sleazy, but the showers were absolutely clean. And cheap.

.Verna said:
    @ChanW I’ve heard the truck stop showers are good, and they even provide target good towels for the showers, too. Evidently, even before Covid-19, as soon as someone finished in the shower, an attendant would go in after you were done, and fully clean the shower so it was ready for the next occupant. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya