Options

Proven Industries vs Ft Knox hitch lock

xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
Hi All,
We are getting ready to purchase a hitch lock and have narrowed it down to two locks: Proven Industries and Ft Knox. Both seem to be very good locks and able to withstand a quick attempt at removal by a thief. We do understand that nothing is 100%, but these locks are very expensive and we want to pick the best choice. 

If you have personal experience with either or both of these locks, would you mind sharing your opinion on the best lock to purchase, and why you consider it the best lock? 

Thank you!
xdr & mer
2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.

Comments

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I purchased the proven industry,   I like that you can take the chain and place it inside the lock housing. 

Plus I don't need a bright yellow lock housing on the front of my rig.

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I think you’ll find many more Tab owners with the Proven Industries lock than the Ft. Knox, the PI comes highly recommended within our ownership community and has for years. I also went with PI partly due to the safety chain storage, which keeps anyone from simply bypassing the lock and hauling your trailer away by the chains. Yes, it’s pretty much the most expensive lock out there, but it’s cheap compared to having to deal with insurance over a stolen trailer.

That said, your best strategy is multi layered, slowing thieves down means they’re more likely to look for an easier target. Get good wheel locks to go along with whichever hitch lock you choose. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    As I understand it, the Fort Knox also allow for safety chain storage. They seem quite similar at a much lower cost.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Thank you VictoriaP for the help. I was looking at wheel locks as well but don't even have the list paired down to a few. Do you have a wheel lock that you like? We are looking for ease of use and effectiveness for a 400 boondock.  
    We appreciate the knowledge and experience you all have!
    Thanks,
    xdr & mer
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited April 2020
    I can't see forking out $200+ for a PI unless they've improved the puck lock.
    I found one used for $100 but nixed that idea once I watched the no-skill way to drill the lock open in 30 secs.
    The main thing a hitch lock does is prevent thefts of opportunity.  
    If determined thieves can drill, cut, hammer, or pry open a hitch lock in under a minute, what difference does it make how much it costs?
    Okay, I get it with the chain storage but if that's what you like you'll spend less with the Ft Knox.
    I'm now convinced the wheel lock folks are correct. If theft is the main concern invest your money in the wheel lock.
    Ask a tow company if they could tow away your trailer without ever touching your hitch lock and the answer will be -- yup! :disappointed: "What if the wheel is locked?" Sure, but that's going to cost extra cause we need to bring a flat bed and some dollies.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    edited April 2020
    @xdr ;  Yep, @TabberJohn is correct - - locks keep honest folks honest.
    I switched to a PI unit after watching several Youtube videos of how easy a hammer or crowbar could defeat my original Master Tongue lock.  Yes a PI puck lock can be drilled or picked.  However, you can purchase far better quality puck locks then the PI standard {just come up with another $100}. In the end it's like insurance - - - at what level are you comfortable, can you sleep at night with the risk/benefit/cost equation.

I upgraded from master Lock to make my trailer more difficult to steal . . . non-T@B specific thieves will take the low hanging fruit . . . or so I hope.

Why PI and not Fort Knox?  Liked the "look' of the lock design, found the web-site more user friendly and maybe more 'professional looking'.  Clearly not value for dollar or some other ROI business logic. ;)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    I have the PI lock and like it for the same reasons as already stated.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    RaydarRaydar Member Posts: 13
    Have had my Ft.Knox for two years. Love it and I store my chain hooks inside. Brings me more security. 
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I have a PI lock and it gives me some sense of security, like locking my TV, bikes, solar suitcase... but fully aware that nothing is totally secure. I have always looked at security measures to make my stuff less appealing and potential thieves would go elsewhere. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I skipped the hitch lock other than just a standard hitch pin lock. Instead I put all the eggs in the wheel lock basket! Hooking to your hitch is not required to tow to a trailer a short distance where cut off tools can be used.

Brahma claims they have never had a trailer towed away with one of their locks. The horseshoe type locks (Trimax for example) can easily be pried off.

https://brahmalock.com/
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Agree with @N7SHG_Ham. We depend on the Brahma wheel lock, but have a coupler and pin lock too.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your help! This group is great. 

We have decided on the Proven hitch lock and the Proven wheel lock with locking lug nuts as well. It really is about reducing the opportunity for a thief to grab it and go. (I love the FarSide cartoon!)

It's a shame that we have to think about this. We will be sensible about protecting the trailer, but we know that there are way more kind hearted people out in the world than those who would steal.

As we begin this next stage of life,we look forward to meeting some of you all and sharing stories around the fire!
    xdr & mer

• Options
    For those still following this thread, here is an update. 

I called PI and asked about the wheel lock. At this time it is only for steel rimmed tires. We were disappointed because we like the looks of the PI wheel lock and ease of use. 

They are however, working on a wheel lock that will fit our aluminum tires, to be released after the summer- depending on the quarantine situation of course!

xdr

• Options
    JT4JT4 Member Posts: 42
    Hello everyone.  I figured I would ask my question here.  We expect to take delivery of our 2021 320S within the next two weeks.   I am looking for good information on which coupler lock model to use for either PI and Fort Knox to work with our recent 320.  I imagine there have been some design changes over time as I have seen some myself.  I just want to be ready in advance as we want to camp right away.  Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    JT4 said:
    Hello everyone.  I figured I would ask my question here.  We expect to take delivery of our 2021 320S within the next two weeks.   I am looking for good information on which coupler lock model to use for either PI and Fort Knox to work with our recent 320.  I imagine there have been some design changes over time as I have seen some myself.  I just want to be ready in advance as we want to camp right away.  Thanks in advance.
    Ttavels with Delaney (The McCormicks) did a video on the Ft. Knox lock and have info about a puck lock they recommend: 

https://youtu.be/Sr2UfU9PxWo

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SubieDooSubieDoo Member Posts: 18
    So my 320-S is going to be delivered a week earlier than I thought--this Friday (May 29).  I haven't bought a lock package yet and as it happens, I have to travel out of town for the weekend. I certainly don't want the camper stolen out of my driveway before I can even get it outfitted. It looks like I can get a PI coupler lock overnighted, but there are 5 choices for a 2" ball.  Dealer says it's just a standard 2" coupler--whatever that means. Any specific recommendations? This is a 2021. Sorry for my newbie-ness.  This came up quicker than I imagined.  
    2021 320S BD
    TV: 2021 BMW X5 Drive 40i
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ZeckmmZeckmm Member Posts: 10
    We went with the ft. Knox. More options for the tumbler plus it looks intimidating to deter any thief, this is the most important value plus it is built like a tank.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Zeckmm said:
    We went with the ft. Knox. More options for the tumbler plus it looks intimidating to deter any thief, this is the most important value plus it is built like a tank.
    +1
    I did the same - for the same reasons! Plus if you call them, you get the owner on the phone which just felt good. Mine arrived in two days after ordering.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    SubieDooSubieDoo Member Posts: 18
    Called Ft. Knox, got the owner, and he's overnighting the lock with the best puck lock they have--all for the same price as the PI without puck lock and shipping. Very nice customer service! I'll deal with the wheel locks later. Thanks all for your help!
    2021 320S BD
    TV: 2021 BMW X5 Drive 40i
  • Options
    ginsbujginsbuj Member Posts: 45
    Yes went with the Ft. Knox after seeing Travels with Delaney demo it. Company was great and it is more reasonably priced.  
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
     lock picking lawyer is not a fan of the new design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUmLf-Wsr0o
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.