Options

Need advice on weBoost Cell Signal Booster install... how to run wires?

Like many others on this forum, I’m a ‘future’ retiree... meaning I’m still stuck to my office/computer for at least another decade or so.  However, with Covid 19, my company announced in May that our entire office will remain in “work while remote” mode until after Labor Day.  Last week, my wife and I thought we’d like to attempt to modify the directive and “work while remote...ly camping”.

It was a semi-success, with the only disappointment being the weak, sporadic, and unreliable cell service for hotspot connection of my PC through my phone.  

So... I’ve been researching cell boosters since returning, and finally settled on the WeBoost Drive Reach.  I think it is the latest Weboost offering (and yes, there are a bunch), and reviews on it are pretty good. I even saw one that said it did a better job pulling in a remote signal than the more powerful WeBoost Connect RV 65 they owned, which is a “non-mobile” option meant for RV’ers and comes with a 25 foot pole for the external antenna.  I’m a bit skeptical of that claim, but the Reach really does seem to be a solid all around solution.  I’m excited to try the ‘work from home camp” idea again, this time with better preparedness.

The Reach arrived today, and now I’m looking for ideas on how set up for use in both TV and RV without having to move anything but the red amplifier unit between the two vehicles.  I am researching which external and internal antenna would work best in our T@B 400 (don’t want a big pole), so that is still being worked, but what I’m really interested in is finding the best way to run a small wire into my trailer without compromising the trailer’s integrity.  I don’t like the “in the window or door” look, but short of drilling holes in the roof, that seems the only easy option.  With all the solar install experts on this forum, there has to be proven and super clean methods for doing this that could be recommended.  Any ideas?  Maybe an additional opening in the existing cable “in” box for the smaller SMB 50ohm cable?  Anyone done that? 

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and this is the WeBoost Drive Reach
https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-Drive-470154-Signal-Booster/dp/B07PDVTMM6/ref=sr_1_8?crid=38K5U0VSIA5O5&dchild=1&keywords=weboost+4g-x&qid=1593238309&sprefix=weboost+4%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-8

Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    I can’t help you with the wiring, but, have you checked out the info at the Mobile Internet Resource Center (RVMobileInternet.com)?  Couple of full time nomads and experts for staying connected remotely.

Lots of info regarding cell boosting, data management, antennas, etc.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    It seems the antenna is a magnetic attach point, so you could use an adhesive sealer to attach a painted metal plate to the roof over the closet area.  As far as the wire goes, several options for a permanent mounting, include a wire gland installed on the roof ext to the ant., which routes the wire through a hole in the roof, sealed by the wire gland unit.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    There was just a thread on this.  The cell boosters use simple coax cable for their wire runs.  Your trailer has a coax connector on the outside that runs in to the television.  I bet it can be done easily this way.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Brilliant, I forgot the cable was a 75-ohm coax. So install is simple, use the ext. TV ant. connection, put the Cell Booster ant. On the roof or ?, and connect the cable to the TaB TV ant connector, then locate the booster unit inside the TaB near the TV, and use the coax TV cable to the booster unit.  All you then need is the 12VDC connection to the Booster unit.  No holes in the trailer.  But you are going to need a F to SMB connector adapter.

cheers
  • Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    edited June 2020
    There was just a thread on this.  The cell boosters use simple coax cable for their wire runs.  Your trailer has a coax connector on the outside that runs in to the television.  I bet it can be done easily this way.

Sounds like I should have done a bit better searching the forum.  This was right up the same line of thought.  Thanks @pthomas745.   I think next chance I get to visit my T@B (in storage a number of miles away) I’ll have to do a bit more scoping on the existing cable connections.  This might be easier than I thought.  Seems @Denny16 has it figured and all planned out for me.  Hope it works like that.   :)

Thanks folks.    

• Options
    I can’t help you with the wiring, but, have you checked out the info at the Mobile Internet Resource Center (RVMobileInternet.com)?  Couple of full time nomads and experts for staying connected remotely.

Lots of info regarding cell boosting, data management, antennas, etc.

I’ll check the link out.  I have visited a number of sites, but not sure on that one.  Sounds promising.  Thx.

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    @ADRawli this was not an easy search!  I just happened to remember the thread about this a few weeks ago, and just searched for...me!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    The WeBoost With magnetic mount antenna has a small enough wire, that it can be routed through the top of the side window, and routed along the underside of the galley upper cabinet on a TaB400, and place the main unit behind or next to the TV.  Add a 12VDC plug to the angled panel under the counter extension at the foot of the bunk.  A zinc or galvanized washer stuck to the roof above the widow, and Bob’s your uncle... 
    cheers
  • Options
    BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
    Denny16 said:
    Brilliant, I forgot the cable was a 75-ohm coax. So install is simple, use the ext. TV ant. connection, put the Cell Booster ant. On the roof or ?, and connect the cable to the TaB TV ant connector, then locate the booster unit inside the TaB near the TV, and use the coax TV cable to the booster unit.  All you then need is the 12VDC connection to the Booster unit.  No holes in the trailer.  But you are going to need a F to SMB connector adapter.

cheers

I have the webooster on my 400.  I called weboost and they at no cost sent me a ac power cord/adapter. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    The last time we camped & I didn't feel like setting up the directional antenna on an antenna pole, I just ran the Weboost antenna wire out the front window & stuck the magnetic antenna on top of the jack post in front.  It worked fine to go from 1 bar of 3G to 2 bars of 4G.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @BrianZ, seriously, I use a horseshoe inside the T@B. 

I tried it on the tongue, the tire, my truck roof and it worked just as well inside on the horseshoe. I went from one bar of no data 4G (as I recall) to one bar of LTE and I was able to stream what I wanted while I was Camp Hosting. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
      I still haven’t mounted my antennae yet... I think I might take Verna’s advice and pick up a horseshoe.  It would be heavy enough to keep the antennae from blowing off the roof in the wind, and easy to move around.  There is also the option of the sticky-backed metal base for the magnet on the antennae that came with the WeBoost that I could use too.  So, either option might be good.  
      My bigger issue is I still am not a fan of all the wires running here and there, especially in through a window.  I’ve got a 5 day trip planned in a couple weeks and I’m taking no work with me (an actual vacation... yes, they do exist), so that might be the chance to play around with it and get the system maximized.  Then, I can consider a more permanent type of install.  Still want to explore the T@B’s cable connection possibility.  I don’t see me using it soon for actual cable, so that may be one way to run the line in as well.  I just am not sure if the connection would have the same impedance as the rest of the antennae run. 
       Anyway, more fun to come in a couple weeks.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ADRawli, I leave the horse shoe on the table inside. Although I tried placing it outside through the window, it works the same whether it is inside or outside of the T@B. It worked in my 2014 T@B and in my 2019 400. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    The TaB TV antenna wire is 75 ohm coax cable.  Youmwill need an F adapter to the smaller connector used on the WeBoost system.  I am looking at doing the same, a d mounting the WeBoost unit behind the TV on the wall, it fits.
    cheers
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    I used a suction device to attach my antenna. And used the blank cable space for satellite tv to pass cable into the trailer. 
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    Nice install Jane.
    cheers
  • Options
    I used a suction device to attach my antenna. And used the blank cable space for satellite tv to pass cable into the trailer. 
    Now that is a super clean install!   I looked at that antennae but the mounting seemed to assume you had a ladder on your RV to hook it to, which of course leaves us T@bbers out.  So where did you find that suction mount (a link if you have it)?  It seems a very clever idea.    Thanks!

• Options
    Denny16 said:
    The TaB TV antenna wire is 75 ohm coax cable.  Youmwill need an F adapter to the smaller connector used on the WeBoost system.  I am looking at doing the same, a d mounting the WeBoost unit behind the TV on the wall, it fits.
    cheers
    Thanks @Denny16, I’ll look into those connectors.

• Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @BirdieJane
    Does the suction cup leave any hickies on the skin of the Tab? (LOL sounds funny but it is a serious question.) 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    No, while it holds the weight of the antenna it has not caused the skin to delaminate from the foam backing.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
  • Options
    https://www.amazon.com/TechnoRV-Suction-Cup-Antenna-Mount/dp/B07RGGMYQC

Here is the suction cup. We Cary a step ladder to clean solar panels. Works well fit the antenna to.
  • Options
    AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    Lots of great creative solutions.
    I move my weBoost from my 400 to the truck, And when I'm in a Park I like to use my cable for TV. So I just attached the antenna to one of the front handles and run the cable right through the window. I leave enough cable slack to shut the shades. I live and work full time in my T@B and it's never been a problem closing the window on the cable. Both seem to be fine.

2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • Options
    GFCGFC Member Posts: 2
    We also bought a weboost drive reach for our 5 week maiden voyagein our Tab400 -- we never noticed a material difference in reception due to the Reach -- would appreciate input from others . . . 
  • Options
    idacamperidacamper Member Posts: 9
    @BirdieJane links to adapters for outside Coax and inside?
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have been using the weBoost Reach RV this summer. 

Right now I am using a temporary setup but will probably making it permanent,soon.

In the far back on the rear shelf in my 320, I put the indoor antenna, the weBoost unit will be mounted either in passenger side or rear bench area. I use the Aux coax connection to run the wire to the external antenna and the external antenna has a temporary mount on the generator platform in front of the propane tub. 

I use a telescoping Flagpole to Go pole and mount the omnidirectional a tenna to it.

The weBoost has been essential to remote work. It takes me from subpar signal to decent in Ohio State Parks. My download speed went from under 1 mbps to over 8 mbps last Friday and was good enough for video calls.

I have a directional antenna which will perform better, but I haven't set it up yet.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ShadraxShadrax Member Posts: 22
    I use a telescopic painter’s pole with c shaped clamps mounted to the propane tank box.  Have had better luck with a directional antenna.
  • Options
    idacamperidacamper Member Posts: 9
    I have the same mount. It keeps falling off the trailer.