Portable Black/Grey Water Tank Selection

Looking into getting a portable waste tank to use when we need to extend our stay without access to a dump station in our T@b 320.  Measured clearance to trailer connection as 9.75" with trailer level.

I like the Tote-N-Stor 11 gallon portable waste tank that measures 31.38 x 15.5 x 9 inches.  Has anyone used one of these tanks and if so how did you make the connection between the tank and trailer - 90 degree sewer fitting?

Image result for 90 degree rv clear sewer hose adapter dimensions Or Image result for 90 degree rv clear sewer hose adapter dimensions Or short hose between the trailer and the portable tank with one of these?

I assume I could raise the front of the trailer to get more clearance than the 9.75" when performing the transfer which should enable use of either of these 90 degree connections directly between the trailer and portable tank.  Would like to avoid needing to use a hose doing transfer since we could not clean the hose very easy.

2019 T@B 320S

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    You can always use a short, regular hose and an adapter like this:

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The portable tank (commonly called a Blue Boy by those of us who regularly use them) should come with a hose without connectors on the ends. It will mate to the Blue Boy’s inlet, and the other end will mate with the waste outlet on your T@B (both ends are the same). 

You can put your Blue Boy up to 5’ away, but keeping the downward angle so the waste will flow easily. 

I took an old section of a leaf vacuum tube and put it in the front tub of the T@B. After putting ends on the 5 ft hose, I stored it in the tube with hose in the front tub (after rinsing it out). 

And I chose a 25 gallon Blue Boy—12 gallon black tank and 18 gallon gray tank—I just don’t allow the gray tank to get full, so there is plenty of room. 

Be very careful—this is where a lot of waste is accidentally dumped on the ground.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • grassgdgrassgd Member Posts: 115
    You can always use a short, regular hose and an adapter like this:

I would be concerned when draining the black water tank using a small diameter hose since it may tend to get plugged.  That would be messy trying to clear and clean up I think.  I would like to avoid using any hoses to minimize the clean up required while away from a dump station. 

I think I can make the connection using one of the standard 90 degree elbows I showed above, just may have to raise the front of the trailer a little to make the connection for transfer.  I would not leave it connected....only to transfer if our tanks get full.  Hoping someone has done this before I buy it and find out I didn't think it through.
    2019 T@B 320S
    Verna said:
    The portable tank (commonly called a Blue Boy by those of us who regularly use them) should come with a hose without connectors on the ends. It will mate to the Blue Boy’s inlet, and the other end will mate with the waste outlet on your T@B (both ends are the same). 

You can put your Blue Boy up to 5’ away, but keeping the downward angle so the waste will flow easily. 

I took an old section of a leaf vacuum tube and put it in the front tub of the T@B. After putting ends on the 5 ft hose, I stored it in the tube with hose in the front tub (after rinsing it out). 

And I chose a 25 gallon Blue Boy—12 gallon black tank and 18 gallon gray tank—I just don’t allow the gray tank to get full, so there is plenty of room. 

Be very careful—this is where a lot of waste is accidentally dumped on the ground.

I wanted to use a smaller size tank that I could handle since it would need to be put in my tow vehicle when full. Full 11 gallon tank weight might be around 70 lbs.

Since the T@b 320's black water tank is only 8 gallons, it could hold the black water tank once full plus a little of the grey water tank if needed.  Can restrict amount of grey water usage easier than black water, so primary usage would be for black water tank back up. 

I have the original hose that came with the trailer and could use it but would rather make a more direct connection without using any hoses to avoid having to clean a hose away from a dump station.
    2019 T@B 320S
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Sorry, @grassgd, you need a sewer hose to transfer the black tank contents to the Blue Boy. You are risking a lot if you try to direct transfer without a hose. On Federal land, if you make a mess, you will have to pay for the EPA cleanup. On private land, you will be asked to leave if you make a mess. 

I tow my Blue Boy with the handle attached to the truck’s hitch slowly to the dump station. The Blue Boy’s are designed for that. I am sure there are YouTube videos showing how to use a Blue Boy. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Yeah, that arrangement is only for the gray tank.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    After reading a couple pro reviews I just ordered the 10-gallon Barker Tote-Along (photo below). It appears similar in size and shape to the 11-gallon Tote-N-Store.
    I agree clearance to the drains is a potential issue. The tank I ordered is 8.75" tall, which should work in most situations. Larger tanks are available but the they are taller. A lot really depends on whether you are parked on a slope, and what and how you are draining. I expect to use mine only occasionally and only for grey water, so draining with a small hose remains an option.
    Barker also offers a 15-gallon "low boy" tank that is only 7" tall but is almost 3' square--tempting but too awkward of a shape for my purposes.

2015 T@B S
    ScottG said:
    After reading a couple pro reviews I just ordered the 10-gallon Barker Tote-Along (photo below). It appears similar in size and shape to the 11-gallon Tote-N-Store.
    I agree clearance to the drains is a potential issue. The tank I ordered is 8.75" tall, which should work in most situations. Larger tanks are available but the they are taller. A lot really depends on whether you are parked on a slope, and what and how you are draining. I expect to use mine only occasionally and only for grey water, so draining with a small hose remains an option.
    Barker also offers a 15-gallon "low boy" tank that is only 7" tall but is almost 3' square--tempting but too awkward of a shape for my purposes.

I narrowed my search down to the 10 gal Barker Tote-Along and the 11 gal Tote-n-Store.  
    Camco Rhino has a nice looking 15 gal one with really big wheels but to tall at 13".
    I liked the bigger wheels on the Tote-n-store compared to the Barker 10 gal one.  Did you find any pro reviews on the Tote-n-store 11 gal - good or bad?
    2019 T@B 320S
    Here is a picture of the 11 gallon Tote-N-Store which measures 31" L x 15.5" W x 9"H.

2019 T@B 320S
    grassgd said:
    I narrowed my search down to the 10 gal Barker Tote-Along and the 11 gal Tote-n-Store.  
    Camco Rhino has a nice looking 15 gal one with really big wheels but to tall at 13".
    I liked the bigger wheels on the Tote-n-store compared to the Barker 10 gal one.  Did you find any pro reviews on the Tote-n-store 11 gal - good or bad?
    In general, the Tote-N-Store brand seemed to pop up pretty frequently as well. However, I didn't shop all that thoroughly--just a quick Google of "best portable waste tanks" or something of that nature.
    I just wanted something relatively small and square that could easily stash in the back of my truck. I probably won't roll it around that much so the wheels weren't a big consideration. The larger sizes had larger wheels and tow capabilities, but were just too big.
    I think the 11-gallon Tote-N-Store would have also fit the bill nicely. Regardless, this will (I hope) be a luxury upgrade up from my previous grey-water system, which was a short length of hose and two 5-gallon paint pails with lids.  ;-) 
    2015 T@B S
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    grassgd said:
    Here is a picture of the 11 gallon Tote-N-Store which measures 31" L x 15.5" W x 9"H.

I've been researching these as well...and the one consistent criticism of the Tote-N-Stor is that it cannot be completely emptied as the opening sits above the bottom of the tote.
    If that limitation is okay with you, then I think this is a good option.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    perhaps, but tipped on wheel end, with the wash out at the other end, you could get is completely rinsed out, so only a small bit of cleanish water would remain, toss a bit of Happy Camper treatment in it will clean the tank a bit, along with some dishwasher soap.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Thanks to all for your input. 

I think I'll go ahead with the 11 gal Tote-N-Store which will provide back up capacity when and if required.   I think I can make either 90 degree connection work by raising the front of the trailer if needed and avoid having to clean a hose.   This should provide a safe no-spill method of transferring between the T@b and the tank.   Not sure when I'll have to use it, but I'll try to up date with results once used. 
    2019 T@B 320S
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    @ScottG - I just ordered the same 10 gallon Barker tank. How did it work out for you?
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Blue boy for the win!!(aka Barker tank).
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    @ScottG - I just ordered the same 10 gallon Barker tank. How did it work out for you?
    I've yet to actually use it. I bought it particularly for a favorite campground that has running water but no shower facilities. Daily showers for two in the T@b tend to overwhelm the little grey tank after a couple days. 

Unfortunately, my planned trip there last season was cancelled when the campground stayed closed because of Covid. 
    2015 T@B S
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Thanks @ScottG - our campgrounds are open in 'winter mode', no services and with registration/contact tracing. They'll open up the running water in March, but even if showers and 'rv stations' are open, I'll avoid them to limit potential exposure to Covid. I'll post an update if/when I use the Barker tank.
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    edited November 2022
    11 gallon Tote-n-stor in use. I got a thetford double pin termination adapter to connect the dump station elbow to the hose.  Worked perfectly. I used my spinning tank cleaner wand at end of this trip to do super end of season rinse. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    What year 320? My 2021 has a cassette toilet. When it's full I just take in the mens room, drain and rinse. I clean it out good at the dump station when we leave. For gray water I have 3 gal. bucket, I use this if it get too full. Just dump it the gray water dumps you see around camp grounds. 
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited December 2022
    @GregChris The 320 prior to 2021 had a traditional black tank. There are many more of us than there are the 2 1/2 model years with the cassette.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    @GregChris - I am not sure how common the gray water dumps are outside of Ohio.  You may find that you will need a portable gray tank to transport gray water to the dump station.
    I almost bought a tank several times when I had my previous rvs. I always had the question, how am I going to transport this. I didn't want inside the rv. I did want it inside my tv. So I just never got one. Now I think I can do without. If I had a pickup maybe, but not with my Highlander. That cassette was almost a deal breaker, but now I love it.
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    edited December 2022
    We have the 21 gallon Rhino. Should have shopped more and found one with a lower profile. Have only used it at home to transfer to a septic clean out in the back yard when we haven't had the opportunity to dump at a station. For that the T@B gets pulled up on a couple of portable automotive ramps so that gravity can work.

edited to avoid the politics of cassette toilets.  :s
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

Well, you can get one that tows behind your TV.  I you prefer to carry it inside your TV, get a smaller one that is easier to lift.  I think ours is 12 gallons and it takes 2 of us to lift it into the van.  I was going to experiment with filling a 2 gallon collapsible jug.  I think that will work, too.
    I was thinking more of transporting it while traveling. There is not room in the 320, and I think the wife would have to  leave some stuff behind to fit it in the tv.
  • techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    We have the 21 gallon Rhino portable tank. I just set it on the shelf in front of the tongue box on my 2021 320 S and strap it down when we take it camping.

It is a bit tall relative to the grey tank outlet on the 2021 320 S, so it does require a bit of picking up the hose to assist with draining.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • mooremic7mooremic7 Member Posts: 1
    The low-boy 15 gallon tanks are still available.  This is a great match.  It does take the two 9f us to list into the truck bed if the dump station is far away.
    Barker 15 Gallon Camper Tote-Along Tank https://a.co/d/jdQV763
  • YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    Just a heads- up to keep in mind the height difference between a boondock and non- boondock model. The lower/ smaller tanks are likely a more useful size on the non- boondocks. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • fwunderfwunder Member Posts: 37
    I have a 15 gal. Rhino that I used for the first time with our 400 BD a couple of weeks ago in Camden State Park in Maine - rough and gravely drive to dump station. It worked great and soooo much better than the 5 gallon buckets I used to use. Be advised though, towing it through the campground -- it's loud. You'll get looks. Everybody's gonna know you're hauling sh!@ !