Options

Alde 3020 Tank Draining

2»

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    ScottG said:
    Maybe. Maybe not. Problem is with no visual way to confirm that your Alde is truly empty, come spring you risk having a very expensive paperweight under your bed.

Either way, but one should properly winterize the lines(and coil) thus the avoiding the inadvertent acquisition of said paper weight...draining is only step #1. 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    What coil?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    What coil?
    The domestic hot water coil within the Alde.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Oh, got it.  The hot water tank.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,457
    One might also argue that this is a matter of semantics--but I wouldn't...  ;-)

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Oh @ScottG!  I think we can agree that the Alde instructions suffer when it comes to using different names for various parts and operations.  In a quick review they refer to a “hot water tank”, “hot water boiler”, and “boiler”.  They also use “boiler” for the glycol part of the Alde.  Semantics matters😊
  • Options
    I maintain proper terminology matters-which is not quite the same as semantics.

And now I'm being semantic and pedantic!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I need a dictionary😂
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Also, the only winter treatment for the Alde is to drain the Water tank, the outer area shown above in blue, this is where the water is.  The inner area is filled with glycol, will not freeze, and the copper looking coils shown are the electric heating elements, which are surrounded by the glycol, which is heated, and in turn transfers heat to the hot water jacket.  So their are no coils to Winterize.
    Alde does not recommend putting glycol in the hot water part of the unit, which is made of stainless steel.  So any small amounts of water remaining in the tank, will not damage the tank if it freezes, as there will be lots of room for the water to expand in the most empty tank.  Also I would leave the yellow drain valve up,in the open position for additional insurance.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    Thanks for the update @JabGopher. I'm still going to test mine using your method as I am not always trustworthy of what I am told--particularly where model configurations have changed a bit over the years. I'll report back what I find.

Here's a photo of a typical plastic check valve, and a photo of pre-Nautilus T@B plumbing with the suspected check valve on the Alde CW inlet circled.

So I did a quick test on this after returning from a recent tip while the Alde was still full of warm water. To cut to the chase, my observations are consistent with @JabGopher's and it appears the Alde can drain from the CW (blue) low point drain.

After returning home, I opened the yellow flapper valve and got a modest but steady trickle of hot water. I then opened the CW drain and got a larger flow of hot water from it. So, it appears the Alde HW tank was actually emptying from both drains.

Of course, this now begs the question of what that device is that looks like a check valve (see above) but does not seem to function as one...

2015 T@B S

• Options
    PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    I think that’s just the way they reduce from 1/2” to 3/8”. I had similar fittings under the sink on our 320 CS S.  Dennis 
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
  • Options
    JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
    @ScottG Thanks for the test and good to see another confirmation.
    2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500
  • Options
    I shot off a quick inquiry to Creed at nuCamp regarding the mystery fitting. I just got his response and it echoes what @Pintoplumber said:

While that may appear as a check valve it is only a reducer / adapter.

The right side of that connection is the ½” pex tubing and the other side towards the alde is the flexible water line, I don’t know the measurement of that line off the top of my head but it is a different size.

So yes, technically you could drain the Alde from the low point drain valve. I usually go for the Relief valve if I am draining a unit, but either should work.

I confess for all the time I've spent poking around that compartment I have never noticed if the lines were different sizes. In the photo above, they do kinda' sorta' maybe look like they could be. I'm going to have a look at mine first thing when I get home!

2015 T@B S

• Options
    JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
    Time to break out the calipers!
    2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited October 2020
    @ScottG and @JabGopher, I found an old post (link below), which may be of interest. 

The comment by @Capt_KLR near the end of the discussion mentions information provided by Alde USA regarding a check valve below the hot-cold water mixing valve.  The connector below the mixing valve appears to be identical to the inline valve on the cold water line in @ScottG's photograph.  Regardless, based on @ScottG's test, it would appear that the inline connector leading to the cold water line drain is not a check valve.  Also, I did a quick check of Alde parts and they sell water line couplers (i.e., "union coupling"), so that may very well be what is being used between the water lines being discussed.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5490/alde-system-leaking-coupler-cold-water-line
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Well golly. Once I had it on my radar, it didn't take but a passing glance to confirm that the lines to and from the Alde are smaller than the 1/2" PEX used elsewhere. 

Why such a fancy coupler is needed to make the reduction is unclear, but my guess is that Aldes are shipped with plumbing "pigtails" and the couplers (which appear to be quick connectors) facilitate easy installation (as well as removal) of the Alde.

It never was quite clear to me why a check valve would be required in those location, However, @Bayless, I can see why a check valve would be important below the mixing valve. Without one, hot water could be potentially be forced back into the cold water supply rather than out the intended hot water side of the valve.

I will make an effort to updated my plumbing schematic in the near future. In the meantime I've added a clarifying note to the resource description.   
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    As LView Pro (2006) is still available http://www.lview.com/  - for free, having the original would make it easier to update. As a Nautilus user and new T@B owner, I have very much appreciated the effort you people put into these diagrams and reference material.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    IIRC, the original is nothing more than a .jpeg. LView Pro is/was a pretty decent program, but any modest painting/drawing application could work just as well. If anyone wants the original to tinker with, PM me.
    2015 T@B S