Options

TAB 400 Boondock 2021 Winterizing

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    For the Alde, that would pretty much be it.  There are the two other "low point" drains for the hot and cold water lines, of course.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MackMack Member Posts: 29
    @pthomas745 oh yeah sorry new guy still learning. I did open open those drains. Hot, cold, fresh, and two Alde lines. Thanks again, really appreciated. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @Mack - your 400 has the Alde and Alde Flow and has 2 Safety/Drain yellow valves which drain the corresponding tanks.  The valve on the cold water line is directly in line with the cold water low point drain, so both will drain the Alde.  The Flow must be drained via the yellow valve on the hot line.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 614
    That's it for draining the Alde and Flow (if you have that).
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM and @Horigan thank you for clarifying. I think I have it mostly figured out now. Spring thaw will hopefully reveal no issues! 

• Options
    idacamperidacamper Member Posts: 9
    Question. Should the yellow valves be open or closed when adding antifreeze?
  • Options
    Those yellow valves are specific to the Alde and Alde Flow.  If you have your Nautilus handles set to “Winterize”, the Alde will be bypassed and no antifreeze will flow through the Alde water system.  So, open or closed, no antifreeze should be near those valves.
  • Options
    Thanks. Unable to Prime. Anti-freeze will not pump in.
  • Options
     Make sure your pump filter is clean and the filter cup is tight to prevent an air leak.
    Try keeping the pump off, add AF to the hose, then turn on the pump.
    5/8” hose that is only about 3 - 4 feet long.
    Here is a link with other ideas for priming the pump for Winterizing.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/14407/winterizing-tab-400-boondock-2021-pump-problem/p1?new=1

• Options
    drawbardudedrawbardude Member Posts: 1
    First post - first day on the forum and first (hopefully last) trailer! Just bought our Boondock this weekend - used BUT!  never used.... how do you like dem' apples? Anyway - we are excited and will be bringing it home in a month.  The whole winterizing thing seems a bit daunting so I am very appreciative Giota of your simple instructions.  Are there any major differences between the 2021 and the 2022?  Thanks a bunch! 
  • Options
    @drawbardude - don’t forget to blow out the lines before adding AF.
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 269
    idacamper said:
    Thanks. Unable to Prime. Anti-freeze will not pump in.
    With the Nautilus in Winterize mode, I use a 3-ft piece of cut hose that I connect to the Nautilus city water intake via the male end of the hose. I insert a very large funnel into the other cut-off end of the hose, and fill the funnel and the hose with RV antifreeze. I start the pump using the switch inside the Nautilus housing, let it suck down a good amount of the antifreeze, then quickly pull the hose end from the funnel and plunge it into a bucket filled with antifreeze. It would help to open a tap inside the trailer to facilitate the flow of fluid.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    geoBgeoB Member Posts: 67
    A follow-up on the above "Pump winterizing fluid into each Hot & Cold Line." Does this include the drain lines (i.e., under the bed & at the Nautilus control - H&C drains)? I'll assume it also includes flushing the toilet. Or does the winterize Nautilus setting prevent winterizing fluid from entering the drains?
    2018 Audi SQ5 + 2021 T@B 400 BD replaces '99 Roadtrek 190 Popular (same mpg with half the range)
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2022
    You need to do the drains separately.   That said, look under your galley sink, and you will see a HepVO valve instead of a traditional P trap in your 2021 TaB400, this fitting does not retain water, will not freeze and therefore does not need antifreeze poured into it, it will only pass through to the gray tank.  Some showers have a P trap, some the HepVO valve.  You can pour some of the pink stuff into the washroom sink to get some into the gray tank also.  Don’t forget the outside shower valve, attach the hose and pump some more antifreeze through it.  

You need to get some antifreeze into the gray tank anyway, so pour some into the shower to get antifreeze into the gray tank lower drain pipe and gate valve.  Do the same in the toilet, to get some into the black tank side of the drain pipe.  Not sure you can pump antifreeze into the toilet flush valve, most folks just blow this out with compressed air, but you can give it a try and see if antifreeze flushes through.  

The Nautilus water system is separate from the water and holding tanks, and pumping antifreeze in through the Nautilus does not put antifreeze into the drains, unless you open a faucet and flush it into the sinks. 
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 269
    In Winterize mode, as I recall, you will get antifreeze through the flush system just like you get antifreeze through the faucet systems. So when you flush the toilet, you’ll eventually see pink antifreeze coming out.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    Right, but you need to flush the toilet to make sure the pink stuff comes out.  It is not automatic…. Thanks @Binghi
    cheers

• Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    You just need to depress the pedal part way.  The water/antifreeze will fill the bowl without the black tank flap at the bottom opening up.
  • Options
    Some many people here were awesome giving advice and guidance to help me winterize our 2022 T@B for the first time! Being detail oriented I probably stressed over the steps too much, but I also wrote up my own step by step guide. See below. 

I'd love any suggestions or corrections to my guide from the guys/gals here with such great experience and knowledge. I may have mixed up or simply gotten something wrong.

Also maybe this might help some other newbies struggling through the steps for the first time. Disclaimer to those newbies, I'm a newbie too and this is just the list I created from combining the instructions and the great information on this forum and the knowledge shared by others here. 

Thanks. 

2022 T@B 400 Boondock

DRAIN 

• Level your camper or tilt it in such a way that the water in the tanks flows toward the low point and tank drain openings. 
    • Empty all Black and Gray tanks into an appropriate disposal. They must be as completely empty as possible. 
    • Drain fresh water tank leave it open for now
    • Turn the Nautilus Panel to DRY CAMPING Mode
    • Turn Pump ON and start opening all water fixtures (hot and cold - one at a time) 
      • Kitchen sink
      • Bathroom sink
      • Toilet (Flush)
      • Shower
      • Exterior shower 
    • When water flow stops turn Pump OFF
    • Turn the handles on the Nautilus Panel to POWERFILL Mode. 
    • Re-open all fixtures 
    • Open all drain units (one at a time):
      • Fresh water tank drain
      • Low point drains  
      • Alde hot water tank drain one at a time (2 yellow tabs under driver side bed section are pressure relief valves or low point drain valves. Lift to drain and lower to shut. Drains are clear plastic tubes under trailer driver side back) NO ANODE ROD to worry about.
    • Check all water connections are tight especially black tank flush line
    • Wait for all drains to empty before proceeding
    • Turn Nautilus levers in a 45 degree position.  When you do this a little more water may come out as this allows it to be released from the fresh water tank line. 
    • Turn OFF/CLOSE all faucets, close the water line drain valves, fresh water tank drain valve, water heater drain and pressure relief valve.

BLOW OUT DRAINS

• NOTE: The Nautilus Instructions blow out is only intended to remove water from behind the Nautilus panel where it tends to collect - not to blow out the entire plumbing system - hence why we close all fixtures.
    • Leave Nautilus handles at 45 degrees 
    • Screw in blow out plug into City Water inlet
    • Connect air hose with pressure gauge
      • When blowing out the system with air, DO NOT exceed 30 PSI pressure in the plumbing lines. Damage may occur to the inline water regulator and other plumbing components. The freshwater tank overflow drain is always open, so the tank does not become pressurized with either air or water. The fresh water tank should never have more than 2 PSI pressure in it.
      • Blow air into the system and, always keeping one DRAIN open, open each fresh water drain one by one until no more water is released.
        • Fresh water tank drain
        • Low point drains (hot and cold)
        • Hot water tank drain (Yellow Alde drain valve. Vertical - open, horizontal - closed)
    • Once each drain has been emptied, turn off and disconnect the air hose and remove blow out plug.
    • Close all drains fixtures should already be closed).
    • Close ALDE yellow drain valves
    • Put sewer bucket under Gray and Black tank drains and open to empty any water that was blown into them.

PUMP IN ANTI-FREEZE

• Set Nautilus to WINTERIZE Mode. Make sure Red Lever is Correct! Horizontal facing right. This is the ALDE Bypass Valve and will keep anti-freeze from entering ALDE system.
      • Connect short hose into City Water inlet. 
      • Insert other end into Antifreeze Jug.
      • Turn Pump ON
      • Open outside tap and depress coiled hose sprayer to get pump to prime. Spray until antifreeze comes through on both cold and then hot lines. 
      • Inside Turn fixtures on one at a time (hot and cold) until antifreeze comes through
        • Kitchen Sink
        • Bath Sink
        • Shower head
        • Toilet flush 
      • Turn Pump OFF
      • Pour RV antifreeze into drains
        • 5 cups kitchen drain (unless it is a HepVO valve)
        • 5 cups bathroom drain
        • 10 cups shower drain 
        • 2 cups toilet to protect seal.
      • Once system is full of antifreeze very briefly open low point drains just to get a few drops of antifreeze into those valves (note: they may spray out fast so stay off to the side and be quick) - do NOT open ALDE drains 

Good luck! 

• Options
      Great write up! When done, should it stay in Winterize mode for the season?
    • Options
      @idacamper thank you. I haven't seen untying saying not to leave it in Winterized mode, so I would think so. 
    • Options
      MisterJMisterJ Member Posts: 1
      MACK- great summary, just want to know why your last line emphasizes do not open Alde drains. IS this simply because there is no point because there is no AF there or other reason? 
    • Options
      @MisterJ Hey, my understanding is once you have anti-freeze in the system, opening the Alde drains could result in anti-freeze going into the Alde and possibly damaging it. 
    • Options
      If your fresh water tank is empty, why are you using your pump?
      I think he means to not open the low point drains once antifreeze is in the system.  Some members are referring to those as “Alde drains”.  If the Alde is bypassed and drained, there is no way for antifreeze to enter the Alde.

Here are the nuCamp instructions.

While the Nautilus system instructions are generalized instructions, the following steps outline more detailed instructions for winterizing the fresh water & waste water plumbing systems in your camper:

1. Empty all black and gray tanks into an appropriate disposal. They must be as completely empty as possible.
      2. Level your camper or tilt it in such a way that the water in the tanks flows toward the low point and tank drain openings.
      3. Turn the handles on the Nautilus Panel to Power Fill Mode.
      4. Open all drains in the unit:
      a. Fresh water tank drain
      b. Low point drains (Red and blue Alde drain valves)
      c. Hot water tank drain (Yellow Alde drain valve. Vertical position is open, horizontal is closed)
      d. Gray & black tank knife drains.
      5. Open all water fixtures.
      a. Sinks
      b. Toilet (Flush)
      c. Shower
      d. Exterior shower
      6. When water has stopped flowing from all openings, close the drains and fixtures.
      7. Turn the handles to a 45 degree angle as shown in the Nautilus Panel Winterizing Instructions.
      8. Connect an air hose to the city water connection. You will need an adaptor with a pressure gauge.
      9. When blowing out the system with air, DO NOT exceed 40 PSI pressure in the plumbing lines. Damage may occur to the inline water regulator and other plumbing components.  The freshwater tank overflow drain is always open, so the tank does not become pressurized with either air or water. The fresh water tank should never have more than 2 PSI pressure in it.
      10.Blow air into the system and, always keeping one drain open, open each fresh water drain one by one until no more water is released.
      a. Fresh water tank drain
      b. Low point drains (Red and blue Alde drain valves)
      c. Hot water tank drain (Yellow Alde drain valve. Vertical - open, horizontal - closed)
      11. When the water is all drained out of the lines and all openings are closed, turn off and disconnect the air hose.
      12. Turn the handles to Winterize mode as shown in the on the Nautilus Panel Instructions.
      13. Connect a short piece of garden hose to the Winterize inlet of the Nautilus Panel and place the other end into a non- ethanol based approved RV antifreeze. A short hose (cut off) will help the pump prime easier and sooner.
      14. Press the pump switch to activate the water pump. The pump will run till the system is pressurized and will kick on when fixtures are opened. Note that the LED indicator light on the panel will be lit if pump is powered.
      15. With the system pressurized and one at a time, open each water fixture until antifreeze appears, then close. Remember to turn to both cold and hot so both lines are protected:
      a. Sinks
      b. Toilet (Flush)
      c. Shower
      d. Exterior shower
      16. When all fixtures are protected, turn the water pump off and disconnect the hose.
      17. Pour one cup of the RV antifreeze into each sink and shower drain to protect the traps.
      18. Follow manufacturer instructions for winterizing the toilet.

• Options
      pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
      Not a silly question, since it gets asked all the time.  A lot of people are claim these types of battery operated inflators are doing the job for them. Many other owners prefer the "tank" style,which run from large setups to smaller portable setups.
      There are lots of threads if you want to scan through them. 

2017 Outback
      Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    • Options
      Small battery powered inflator compressors do not have a sufficient air flow to blow out lines on its own.  That said, you can attach a bit of garden hose and pressurize It up a bit, and you might get enough CFM of air to do one line at a time.  Recommended pressure is 30-40psi.  Personally, I use a small air nail gun compressor which has a small pressure tank nd can sustain a higher CFM flow of air, and gets the job done quicker.
       Cheers 
    • Options
      manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
      I recommend what @Denny16 says. I use a 5 gallon pancake style compressor and even that can struggle to maintain 40psi without partially draining the main tank. You could do it with a small compressor but I imagine it could take a long time to do the job. 
      2021 400 BD
      2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
    • Options
      I do just fine with a small Viair portable compressor for 5 years now.  This year we added a 4 foot section of hose and it did increase the air volume and made the job faster.  We like the portable compressor as we pack it to use on the road for emergency blow outs and tire inflation.
    • Options
      geoBgeoB Member Posts: 67
      I'd like to follow up on Sharon_is_SAM's step #15 "...both cold and hot so both lines are protected." When I did the winterizing of our 2021 T@B BD a week ago, turning the pump on when the galley's hot water valve was  open did not produce any anti-freeze. As I recall the pump did not even run. The same was true for the hot water in the head and outdoors. Cold water valves did produce anti-freeze. Is this behavior of the hot water valves expected?

2018 Audi SQ5 + 2021 T@B 400 BD replaces '99 Roadtrek 190 Popular (same mpg with half the range)
    • Options
      kevenvkevenv Member Posts: 27
      edited October 2022
      I do just fine with a small Viair portable compressor for 5 years now.  This year we added a 4 foot section of hose and it did increase the air volume and made the job faster.  We like the portable compressor as we pack it to use on the road for emergency blow outs and tire inflation.
      @Sharon_is_SAM when you say add a short length of hose, is one end screwed into water fill and the other end fitted with compressor fitting?