Options

Unable to get Alde parts or service

WildRumpusWildRumpus Member Posts: 42
Pray that your Alde never needs repair or service, because if it does, you're out of luck. The Alde unit in my Tab 320 has failed so I brought my trailer to Matt’s RV in Gainesville, FL for repair. After finally being able to reach someone in their service department, the technician told Matt that it’s most likely the circuit board (control panel) within the Alde (not the control screen). So I gave Matt $320 to order the part and he's been trying to order the part, but communication with you Alde is nearly impossible!  When Matt calls to order the part, he gets a voicemail. Then, maybe, sometimes, they might try to call him back in a day or two. But they get his voicemail. Phone tag. I get it. It happens. But why is it so difficult to order a part???  Out of frustration, I picked up the phone on Thurs. and actually got a person on the line (keep in mind, I've called Alde probably five times and only twice ever got a person to answer and never had any of my messages returned). But all she would do is leave a message with the technician to call Matt. He never did. I even begged to let me just pay for the part and order it, but no, it has to be through a service center. The parts come from Sweden and require special Swedish tools too. 

After over three weeks at the shop, I had to pick up my trailer on Friday because I have a camping trip this week. I will have no heat and no hot water for this trip.  This will be the second trip that I’ve been without, and I have another trip scheduled for Thanksgiving. It’s depressing that I have a $20K RV that has no hot water or heat, and it appears that this is never going to be repaired. Ever. The dealer I bought the Tab from is no longer a Tab dealer, so I feel abandoned.  

I've sent Alde an email today with this same message, but does anyone have any contacts or suggestions for me to get this resolved?  Thank you.
Gainesville, FL

Comments

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    If you can, have your service dept. jump the thermal fuse on the circuit board, and see if it fires up.  Those things have a limited lifespan, and are an easy fix, if you know how to solder.  Since it's a thermal fuse, you have to use a heat sink or you'll keep blowing the fuse while soldering, so order a bunch, they're like a $1 a piece.  I ordered 10 and we only blew one while putting it in.  I now carry a jumper with alligator clips for emergency use. 

Here's the original thread, hopefully this is the problem for you:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4197/found-a-fix-for-no-alde-heat-when-all-fuses-are-good
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I think Alde is now owned/partnered by/with Truma.  I wonder if nuCamp Customer Service can locate a better Alde contact number?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Yes, Truma bought Alde. And the two customer service reps I did manage to get ahold of were very unknowledgeable about Aldes. I know everything is different now in the age of Covid, and one of the reps admitted that she was working from home, but there's no excuse to not being able to provide service and parts.  

Gainesville, FL
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @db_cooper, the problem I'm having is the 3.14 amp fuse on the ground side keeps blowing, even after I rewired the ground to go directly to the negative terminal on the battery. Would a blown thermal fuse cause the other fuse to blow? Doesn't seem like it would.
    Gainesville, FL
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    It didn't affect any other fuses on ours, just didn't do anything at all when that thermal fuse went.  Before plunking $300 for a new circuit board it won't hurt to check it.  
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited November 2020
    Have you contacted this source?

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    This is not surprising as many RV parts are in short supply, still, due to Covid.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    jkjenn said:
    This is not surprising as many RV parts are in short supply, still, due to Covid.
    Agreed, but....that’s really no excuse for not answering phones or returning dealer calls. The industry is in a huge boom right now, they can afford to staff their own phone lines (even remotely). 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @Dalehelman yes that's the number that you call and get a voicemail most of the time, or if you're lucky you get a person who is vaguely familiar with Alde (more familiar with Truma) and "passes" your message to a technician who may or may not call you back in two days. There is no direct number to speak to a technician or parts.
    Gainesville, FL
  • Options
    UPDATE: someone from nuCamp reached out to me over the weekend after seeing this post and offered some help!  Good for nuCamp, standing by their customers as always. If only Alde/Truma was half as good as nuCamp. Will keep you posted...
    Gainesville, FL
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Earlier this year (before Covid but after the Truma merge) I sent several emails to Alde/Truma as well as to a few of their listed Alde service centers to enquire about purchasing parts.

Nobody responded, but now I do get junk email from one of the dealers I contacted...  :-/
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @ScottG, that's too bad. Not a good sign.
    Maybe it'd be easier to deal directly with the European arm of the company...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    The Alde is unquestionably a great unit. However, I've always been a little concerned that its a pretty complex (and relatively uncommon) piece of gear for what is supposed to be a simple recreational pastime. I was encouraged by the many reports of great customer service from Alde US (and point man Spencer), but so far that seems to have gone by the wayside with the acquisition by Truma.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    The Alde is unquestionably a great unit. However, I've always been a little concerned that its a pretty complex (and relatively uncommon) piece of gear for what is supposed to be a simple recreational pastime. I was encouraged by the many reports of great customer service from Alde US (and point man Spencer), but so far that seems to have gone by the wayside with the acquisition by Truma.
    Yep, this has always been my biggest concern with the Alde, and simlarly, that concern was somewhat alleviated when when had a reliable go-to person for service people to work with. Now? We have a critical system with no easy access to parts or assistance should it fail. Pretty unnerving, frankly.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @WildRumpus, isn't Nucamp the beginning of the 'normal route' for your dealer/repair shop to take to get parts?
    I'd think Nucamp would have the access to the right people at Alde, and the interest in making it right (along with the leverage).
    I'd hope (ie: expect) Nucamp would be the lead contact for a repair shop to work with.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ScottG, sorry to give you the bad news, but when Alde moved to Elkhart, Indiana, Spencer chose to stay with family in the state of Washington. He is no longer employed by Alde. This is a great loss to we owners as he knew the Alde. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    @WildRumpus, isn't Nucamp the beginning of the 'normal route' for your dealer/repair shop to take to get parts?
    I'd think Nucamp would have the access to the right people at Alde, and the interest in making it right (along with the leverage).
    I'd hope (ie: expect) Nucamp would be the lead contact for a repair shop to work with.
    Well, given that the Alde is a 3rd party appliance (like Dometic, Norcold, Elwell, etc.), under normal circumstances I believe a dealer will contact the manufacturer directly. 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Yeah, that makes sense too. 
    VictoriaP said:
    ChanW said:
    Well, given that the Alde is a 3rd party appliance (like Dometic, Norcold, Elwell, etc.), under normal circumstances I believe a dealer will contact the manufacturer directly. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Verna said:
    @ScottG, sorry to give you the bad news, but when Alde moved to Elkhart, Indiana, Spencer chose to stay with family in the state of Washington. He is no longer employed by Alde. This is a great loss to we owners as he knew the Alde. 
    X2
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Yep, I knew this. He and Alde had already parted ways and the company had relocated to Elkhart when I started making inquiries regarding parts. Sounds like he was a great resource to our small cohort of Alde owners. 
    2015 T@B S