Options

Propane use

NovaTabNovaTab Member Posts: 91
I know it varies a lot but on average how long does the 20lb tank last?

Do you find a need to add a second tank?
2021 TaB 320 Boondock, Gran Cherokee TrailHawk

Comments

• Options
    TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    edited January 2021
    I've been occasionally driveway camping in my Tab 320.  Ambient temperature is in the high 30s to low 40s.  I've been using the Alde for about 8 hours each night with the thermostat set to 65 degrees.  I have had the two side windows set to their partial open position for ventilation.  Under those circumstances it appears I can get about 10 to 12 nights out of a 20 pound tank.  Gas for cooking is so minimal that I don't think it matters one way or another.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    It is convenient to have a second tank and to have a float gage or another gauge like the Mopeka.  Especially If you are out boondocking and you don’t have easy access to a place to refill.  We have only used ours once, but it prevented us from running low in the middle of a cold night in Utah.  Having said that, we are not planning on taking it along with our next out west trip.  We plan to have the tank filled more often.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Ski camping for a week in just barely freezing temps, we got 5 days/nights before refilling, and probably could have gone another day but didn't want to chance it.  Ran fridge and did all cooking on the same tank.  Also, kept the camper pretty warm while we were skiing, so we could come back and have lunch in a warm place.  We carry an additional 11 lb tank for the firepit and backup.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    edited January 2021
    I use a hand scale designed for weighing luggage.  You do have to pull the tank out of the bin to get an accurate weight though.  The empty tank weighs about 15 to 17 pounds and a full one, of course, is a little over 35.  If you weigh the tank every couple of days, you have a pretty good idea of where you are.

I have the ability to carry a second, back up tank, should I need it for an extended trip.  The tanks fit perfectly into a milk crate, and a crate can easily be mounted to the boondock platform.
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    Those of you who are mopeka users... how low have you let your tank get before you have actual issues with running the Alde... I'm a "nervous Nellie" and have never gone below 25%.
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I have been under 10% multiple times without issue.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited January 2022
    I wouldn’t go below 10%, as the order additives(LPG is naturally odorless) ratio to LPG increases and the volume level in the tank drops.  I have been told by our propane provider, not to let our tanks get below 10%, as you will have a very noticeable smell in the trailer, as the odor causing additives do not burn.  This may also make lighting burners more problematic. 
    Cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited January 2022
    Actually, the odor is caused by a higher concentration of methyl mercaptan (the odorant that is added to odorless propane) so you can smell if it is leaking. As the tank gets lower, the ratio of mercaptan becomes higher. Even though the mercaptan is not entirely soluble, it is close enough. 

Outside of the additional odor, it poses no threat to proper operation and will not harm anything. It will not make anything harder to light, unless the ambient temperature is very low.

Remember, Propane boils at -43.6 F and if the tank volume is too low in very cold temperatures, the amount of liquid to boil is less too. This can cause a situation with very low gas pressure through the regulator which could be an issue, but again only in very cold (think sub-zero) weather.

Bottom line, previous to using the Mopeka for tank monitoring, I never changed the tank until it was empty. Never had any issues at all, the Mopeka just helps prevent me from having to go outside in the middle of the night to switch tanks, as I always have a spare. 

Note: The ratio of Propane to Butane may vary depending on the altitude and temperature. This would affect things way more than being below 10%.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    Thank you. You have set my mind at rest... also good to know that the Alde doesn't flip out when the tank runs dry. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    There is one other option not mentioned above.  You can go to the expense of purchasing two smaller tanks - and I would suggest looking for taller but smaller circumference.  For instance, Worthington makes an 11 lb model (see chart below).  Two of them fit into the tub of the 2021 T@B along with the battery.  It's tight, but they fit.  As you fill the back tank, you will have to take the front tank out first to get to get the back one out of the tub, but because they are lighter than the 20 lb model, it is also easier to do. 

It also requires that you modify the tank holder in the front bin (if you have a friend who can do a little bit of welding - it is actually somewhat easy). 

The advantage is that you don't have to weigh or worry about propane.  When one tank runs out, just switch to the other tank - even in the middle of the night or the middle of cooking a meal.  The second tank will last for several days and then as you get to town, just have the empty tank filled up and you can switch back and forth as needed. With both in the tub of the T@B, you don't have the problem of trying to carry an extra tank in your TV - which makes me nervous - even with a pickup. 

Larger travel trailers have used this system of twin tanks mounted on the tongue for years.  Of course, they do so with larger tanks, but we are minimalists - right?  That's one of the reasons we own a T@B :)

Your 20lb tank can always be used for the BBQ grill at home and you can practice the same thing there - never letting your steak grow cold when you run out at the most inopportune time. 

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I installed the Worthington 11# tank, when I 'remodeled' our tub to fit twin 6v GC batteries.

Could only fit one tank with the two batteries, so we carry the second tank in the truck bed.

We did run into a weird problem in Española NM... There was a propane dealer who refused to fill the little tank. He said he had heard that the little tanks will damage his $4K propane pump. I don't see why it would, makes no sense to me, but luckily, we were able to find another dealer who would fill it without question...

Otherwise I've had no problem getting them filled.

Just a heads up. 

nbrandt said:
    There is one other option not mentioned above.  You can go to the expense of purchasing two smaller tanks - and I would suggest looking for taller but smaller circumference.  For instance, Worthington makes an 11 lb model.... (snip)

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TabloverTablover Member Posts: 2
    I have a second 20lb tank in a milk crate on the platform beside the tub. I plan on getting a third tank to carry in the truck for my dual fuel generator.