Options

Let’s love the Alde and ketchup on everything :-0

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Thank you XDR for allowing me to remain on this forum. The moderators can stand down for now. How cool your wife knows the difference between bathed and bated breath. Many thanks to you both for sharing in this hilarious and fun exchange about a condiment!
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Tabaz - my bottle of Heinz is missing the scrambled egg message.  Guess I’ll stick to salsa!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    Ketchup on eggs - I could never get behind that.  If you really don't want to taste eggs when you eat them so you cover them with ketchup, don't eat eggs lol.  Personally, I like when they taste like... eggs :)

Then again, I was that weird kid that didn't eat PB&J sandwiches either..
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2021
    No, condiments are the vegetable part of the meal! That's why ketchup is a must - you gotta have a red vegetable!

We are talking meals here, right?

(Oh and we do love our Alde)
    Sorry...but the hot dog, no matter what kind, is the attraction here.  Condiments, to me, are a waste of calories.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Based on my exhaustive research, it appears tomatoes are a fruit - not a vegetable. Regardless, hot dogs are the excuse for eating sugar and salt-laden condiments. That’s why I love them so.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    edited February 2021
    Tabaz,
    Ehem........(clears throat) First things first:
    If you had ever been to Wi, you'd know it's not ketchup. We don't touch ketchup. It's "Red Gravy". 
    Second, we don't eat "hot dogs". We use Hot Dogs to chase Coyotes and bears. We eat Bratwurst,......with beer....while wearing a stocking cap and flannel shirt, winter or summer (which are, sadly, kind of the same. The big difference is in summer, the snow is warmer)....while talking about the Packers..... It's in the Wi Constitution. 
    If you're going to talk about us, you'd better "know your culinary geography".
    We also invented humor.....to help shovel snow when it's so cold that bullets freeze mid-flight. (That's why there isn't much hunting in the winter) When it's too cold for bullets to fly, that's fishin' weather. If we hunted all winter, come spring (usually the weekend of the 4th of July) the bullets would thaw out and be flying all over the place. 
    We also wear lipstick in the winter. You can always tell the out-of-towner when out ice fishing. He'll be the one wandering around the lake, mumbling incoherently, while tugging away at the Budweiser can frozen solid to his lips. In Wi, coolers....are heated....

That's a great story! Large-brain types (and/or paranoid schizophrenics) might get freaked out by the campground neighbors popping by to lend something you just ran out of, but I'd just chalk it up to the Russians listening in through the intelligent coffee pot to my conversation. (Note to self: get another roll of aluminum foil)

WilliamA

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    I have been contemplating this concept. A hot dog (frankfurter to some) is just heated bologna. Is it proper to put ketchup on a bologna sandwich? Is it then OK to put mayonnaise on a hot dog? More importantly, just how badly do I need to get back on the road to gain proper perspective?

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    CrabTab,
    Well said. It's not so much groveling in the minutiae of verbage. It's perspective. When out and by the campfire, most everything tastes better...
    WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Gulden’s Spicy Brown Mustard is the only condiment for a hot dog. And we absolutely love our Alde system in the 400.  Our previous TT’s forced air furnace sounded like you were running a leaf blower inside the camper. 
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336

This is much too important a thread to not join in.  

We are originally from upstate New York a region with a rich history of local hotdog brands that are worthy of note and set our standard for any hot dog research we’ve done T@Bing across the country.  The standard research environment for us is naturally a basic white bun and mustard.  As (tomato) ketchup is fundamentally a fruit, noted above, and thus should only be served as a side on French Fries.  A hotdog is properly prepared over a flame or on grill. We don’t discuss those downstate New York hotdog brands where they are often prepared by boiling in water. 

The standard mustard in the beginning was of course French’s as it was originally produced in Rochester NY.  We have moved on to a mustard research stage as French’s has fallen prey to corporate ownership and doesn’t seem the same anymore.   The current leader is Ringhand’s Beer Mustard which we discovered while visiting The Mustard Museum, listed on the National Registry of “Histerical” 🤣 Places, in Middleton, WI while T@Bing last summer.  This is a craft mustard and difficult to source.

We now live in Florida, an area where a good hot dog or mustard must be imported.

This all being said the current standard is a Rochester based Zweigle’s for a red hot and a Syracuse Hoffman’s Snappy griller for a white.  Note a hot dog should not be confused with any of the ancestral german wursts which are another subject entirely.

We love our Alde.

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    edited February 2021
    Botanically speaking, vegetable doesn't mean anything. It's a culinary term that applies to plant parts which may be roots, stems, seeds, flowers, or fruits. Ergo, I have to cast my vote with @ChanW (and RonaldR, in this case) that the condiments--ketchup included--may be considered a vegetable.

Seriously, I had no idea ketchup on hot dogs was such a controversial topic until this discussion prompted me to do my own exhaustive research. Just another testament to the value of this forum not only for helpful T@bby tips but also for useful life information in general.

"I know a lot of things, but I do not know a lot of other things."
    - J.C. Mellencamp
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    @SweetlyHome Can I get  your opinion on mayonaisse as an accompaniment to french fries?

Love my Alde, and the writing in this thread!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    edited February 2021

@pthomas745,

We’ve not done any research in this area and personally we have not been attracted to mayonnaise as a french fry condiment.  A little quick online searching seems to indicate this has roots in fine French Cuisine, considered a positive by many.  As with so many things perhaps this is a regional preference?  I have a long region based story regarding the use and preparation of “Michigan Sauce” for use on hotdogs that I will spare all from at this time.

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    Or or how about miracle whip vs mayonnaise debate?
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    ...Ergo, I have to cast my vote with @ChanW (and RonaldR, in this case) that the condiments--ketchup included--may be considered a vegetable...
    Interestingly, one of our local school systems got away for years counting ketchup as a vegetable in their dietary menu planning... fries and ketchup were counted as two servings of vegetables.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    I like to vary my condiments on a hot dog, but not since grade school have I selected ketchup.   A trip to Berlin change my opinion of the pairing of fries and mayonnaise.  The Berliners' spiced the mayo with curry.  Yum!
    Oh, and our first night in an Alde warmed 320 was a revelation!
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    @Tabaz - I was going to post on this exact topic! I really appreciated the Alde this past weekend. The first night was below freezing and I was actually too warm, so I turned it to a lower setting the 2nd night. I love how efficient it is. I ran it on propane and after 48 hours of constant use, including fridge/stove, I still had 70% of my propane remaining. 
    Definitely ketchup on hamburgers, mustard on hot dogs. 
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @dragonsdofly, unfair to have brought "42" into the discussion....

Everyone knows 42 is the answer to everything!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    That is a very 'Deep Thought' statement @ChanW...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 181
    Sorry, have to interject here . There is only one kind of hot dog worth eating . 

It has to be a "Ripper" , and served up "All the way " (no there is NO ketchup on it ) . 

Fun Fact - Did you know a hot dog can be cooked by using the Alde exhaust outlet ? ;)  

2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    @BOatguy - did you actually do that😂
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited February 2021
    ScottG said:
    Botanically speaking, vegetable doesn't mean anything. It's a culinary term that applies to plant parts which may be roots, stems, seeds, flowers, or fruits. Ergo, I have to cast my vote with @ChanW (and RonaldR, in this case) that the condiments--ketchup included--may be considered a vegetable.

Seriously, I had no idea ketchup on hot dogs was such a controversial topic until this discussion prompted me to do my own exhaustive research. Just another testament to the value of this forum not only for helpful T@bby tips but also for useful life information in general.

"I know a lot of thing, but I do not know a lot of other things."
    - J.C. Mellencamp
    I seem to recall a certain US president who stipulated that ketchup in school lunches constitutes a vegetable serving. 

He was roundly chastised for his position. And, I'd have to say, they may have been correct. 

It's like saying Tostitos Chunky Salsa is a mixed salad...or Welch's Grape Jelly is your fruit portion for the day. 

I served my kids cherry chocolate cake for breakfast. Ex-DW freaked out. I said hey, there's bread group (flour), protein group (eggs), fruit group...what's the problem? 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @Tabaz - my bottle of Heinz is missing the scrambled egg message.  Guess I’ll stick to salsa!
    I always knew @Sharon_is_SAM was smart, but this confirms it as there is only one acceptable brand of ketchup...the kind made in Pittsburgh.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @jkjenn - I had no idea that Pittsburgh contributed to such fine cuisine😂
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @jkjenn - I had no idea that Pittsburgh contributed to such fine cuisine😂
    Only the best. Also home of the Big Mac.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    What a delightful thread to read over morning coffee! I think UCamp may need to be segregated by condiment preference for the foreseeable future. 

For the record, all y’all are wrong. 😄 I have it on the highest authority (my 14yo son who watches endless hours of Hell’s Kitchen on YouTube, making him an “expert” by today’s standards) that I, indeed, prepare the world’s best hotdog which includes: a sesame seeded bun, lightly toasted with butter in a skillet, an evenly charred grilled 100% beef hot dog, spicy brown mustard, KETCHUP, chopped yellow onion, chopped dill pickle chips and a light sprinkle of fresh dill from the herb garden. 

Oh, snap. The hotdog 🌭 emoji just popped up as the ultimate world authority. Boiled dog, plain bun and line of mustard it is. 😭😭😭
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    I am suddenly craving nitrates ;)
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited February 2021
    I truly believe that there are only two ways to enjoy a hot dog.
    The first, and best by a hair, is as a Hot Texas Wiener. This is a unique concoction that as far as I'm aware, is not available in the Lone Star State and has only a tenuous connection to it. It is not to be confused with the much inferior Chili Dog. It is imperative that the hot dog not only be very high quality, but also is deep-fried
    The second (and a very close second at that) is a Yeti Dog. Born in the Mountain West but pirated eastward by travelers from the Keystone State. Also demands a very high quality dog but can be pan, rather than deep fried.
    Neither uses ketchup, though there is some tomato in the HTW sauce.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554

This is much too important a thread to not join in.  

We are originally from upstate New York a region with a rich history of local hotdog brands that are worthy of note and set our standard for any hot dog research we’ve done T@Bing across the country.  The standard research environment for us is naturally a basic white bun and mustard.  As (tomato) ketchup is fundamentally a fruit, noted above, and thus should only be served as a side on French Fries.  A hotdog is properly prepared over a flame or on grill. We don’t discuss those downstate New York hotdog brands where they are often prepared by boiling in water. 

The standard mustard in the beginning was of course French’s as it was originally produced in Rochester NY.  We have moved on to a mustard research stage as French’s has fallen prey to corporate ownership and doesn’t seem the same anymore.   The current leader is Ringhand’s Beer Mustard which we discovered while visiting The Mustard Museum, listed on the National Registry of “Histerical” 🤣 Places, in Middleton, WI while T@Bing last summer.  This is a craft mustard and difficult to source.

We now live in Florida, an area where a good hot dog or mustard must be imported.

This all being said the current standard is a Rochester based Zweigle’s for a red hot and a Syracuse Hoffman’s Snappy griller for a white.  Note a hot dog should not be confused with any of the ancestral german wursts which are another subject entirely.

We love our Alde.

NYC, the official hot dogs are served with a slash of either yellow or Guldens type of mustard from a stick.

Further upstate (Hudson Valley) the roadside stands serve the dogs with a warm sweetish tomato based sauce with cooked onions in it.  Mustard is optional.

Quickserves have Guldens type mustard, warm sauerkraut (as opposed to the cold stuff at Sams and Costco), maybe relish, or the ultimate, hot dog chili (all meat finely ground and no beans).

In FL, they think the ultimate hotdog place is Portillios.  I'm not impressed.

About the only place I purchase a hotdog when we are out is either at Sams or Costco, just to have something to eat on the cheap.

I'd rather make them at home or camping, then spend a fortune at the overpriced foo foo places that sell them.

What part of NY were you from?
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL