Options

Let’s love the Alde and ketchup on everything :-0

124»

Comments

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    @Tampakayaker originally we're from Rochester, did a few years in Buffalo and Syracuse, and then Auburn before coming to Florida 20+ years ago.

@jkjenn things must have changed in the last 20 years more than we thought.  We learned the ketchup taboo growing up.  Of course as mentioned elsewhere there was an under 18 exception. 

We moved from Newburgh NY to Tampa 43 years ago.

It was an eye opener with the prices of groceries, and lack of "real" foods that were normal in NY.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Newburgh is too close to the city to count. 😁

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    jkjenn said:
    Newburgh is too close to the city to count. 😁
    60 miles North.

When we left it was still "upstate" to the city folk and too far out of their little world.

From what I've been hearing from relatives still in that area, they've been inundated by them city folks fleeing covid.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Last night I ate hamburger. I topped it with an onion sauce, some cheese, and a dollop of mustard, but not a drop of ketchup.

What do you all think of that?  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @ScottG, you sir are a Renaissance Man! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I think it was an opportunity wasted.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    And I did it AGAIN today for lunch!

I do like to fancy myself a Renaissance Man...  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    I guess I'm a bit conventional on burgers normally Lettuce, Tomato, big slice of onion, and mayo on a burger.  That is unless I'm back in Rochester NY for the local style, a minimum onion, dill pickle, and meat hot sauce.

Yeah, he gets my vote to be a Renaissance Man.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    I wanted to come back here and see the latest condiment discussions but I forgot the name of the thread! Something about the Alde?
    LOL
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Living mostly in Texas, I've not touched ketchup in years. There's so many tasty craft hot sauces and salsa, why would anyone bother?  Besides, do you know how much sugar is in your average ketchup? Yech!   (and the Alde is soooo quiet and soooo resource conserving)
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    We’ve completely gone off the rails!  See what you did @Tabaz 😂😂😂
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @ScottG Yes!
    This got me to thinking that in honor of this thread we could have an Alde competition at uCamp - no, wait, that would be boring. Instead we could have a hot dog condiment shootout. Some categories could be:

Piled Highest
    Strangest Ingredients
    Grossest Combination
    Most Attractive (the hot dog that is)

The sky is the limit!
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    Good idea. I'll be there with you in spirit--ketchup bottle in hand!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited March 2021
    Cave Creek Canyon outside of Portal, AZ is one of our favorite spots.  Beautiful area but there are some big Timber Rattlers in there too so be careful.  And speaking of hot dogs, you haven’t tasted a good coney dog until you’ve had a Flint style coney made with Kogel’s Vienna franks.  People ship this brand around the country they are so tasty!  And yes, they taste awesome with mustard, onion, sweet relish and ketchup!  Nummy!  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Almost walked over this bad boy as he was sitting just off the corner of the asphalt drive in Sunny Flat campground in Cave Creek Canyon where the drive hits the circle drive around the campground.  I was within 4’ of this snake and he was not in a mood for casual conversation. Sounded like a sink faucet turned on full blast.  I slowly backed up and away and the snake calmed down and slithered off toward the mountain bluffs behind us.  Scary stuff for sure!  😬

• Options
    edited March 2021
    @Michigan_Mike Hope that's a Huawei cell phone with the 50X Leica zoom lens for the picture... :o

And that area near Portal Arizina looks just like NE Utah not too far from Ricks Spring. I have a picture exactly like that third one somewhere. Neat how geography is duplicated in areas so far apart.

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @Michigan_Mike Yikes!! I hate snakes and it's a worry running into them. Did you have to back into your trailer and change your shorts?!  =)
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    dsfdogs said:
    @Michigan_Mike Yikes!! I hate snakes and it's a worry running into them. Did you have to back into your trailer and change your shorts?!  =)
    Came close to it for sure!  I just froze in the spot as my wife saw it before I did.  It's amazing how these reptiles blend into the landscape.  I'd never seen one like this one and my neighbor calls them black tailed rattlers.  I've seen the Mohave rattler which is the most toxic snake on the NA continent with two neurotoxins and about 16 times more venomous than a sidewinder.  I just carved an extra long walking stick and my neighbor gave me a pair of snake bite proof blue jeans, made of Kevlar.  And no, I'm not looking to try them out anytime soon!   :o
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    So, what is the proper condiment with rattlesnake?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745 great thread recovery!
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    edited March 2021
    So, what is the proper condiment with rattlesnake?
    A little A1 sauce and cornbread for starters!  👍🏻🤣🌵😂

But always use gloves, cut off the head of the snake, handle with care, dig a hole and bury it.  👍🏻
  • Options
    For the other vegans out there, snake meat is fairly bland, so I'd use a mixture of jack fruit and finely chopped nuts for the texture... then top with something like the Torchbearer Garlic Reaper sauce.

• Options
    OneotaOneota Member Posts: 17
    I love the Alde, and I put ketchup and mustard on my hotdog.  Unless I'm rolling it in a tortilla....
  • Options
    CamakCamak Member Posts: 15

This is much too important a thread to not join in.  

We are originally from upstate New York a region with a rich history of local hotdog brands that are worthy of note and set our standard for any hot dog research we’ve done T@Bing across the country.  The standard research environment for us is naturally a basic white bun and mustard.  As (tomato) ketchup is fundamentally a fruit, noted above, and thus should only be served as a side on French Fries.  A hotdog is properly prepared over a flame or on grill. We don’t discuss those downstate New York hotdog brands where they are often prepared by boiling in water. 

The standard mustard in the beginning was of course French’s as it was originally produced in Rochester NY.  We have moved on to a mustard research stage as French’s has fallen prey to corporate ownership and doesn’t seem the same anymore.   The current leader is Ringhand’s Beer Mustard which we discovered while visiting The Mustard Museum, listed on the National Registry of “Histerical” 🤣 Places, in Middleton, WI while T@Bing last summer.  This is a craft mustard and difficult to source.

We now live in Florida, an area where a good hot dog or mustard must be imported.

This all being said the current standard is a Rochester based Zweigle’s for a red hot and a Syracuse Hoffman’s Snappy griller for a white.  Note a hot dog should not be confused with any of the ancestral german wursts which are another subject entirely.

We love our Alde.

When eating Zweigles or snappy grillers NY state law says you must use Nancy’s spicy mustard or Nancy’s chili sauce, unless of course it is 2am and you are dining on a garbage plate at Nick Tahous, then you must use yellow mustard on the Greek meat sauce

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Camak said:
    When eating Zweigles or snappy grillers NY state law says you must use Nancy’s spicy mustard or Nancy’s chili sauce, unless of course it is 2am and you are dining on a garbage plate at Nick Tahous, then you must use yellow mustard on the Greek meat sauce

@Camak

Obviously you are much more up to date on NY state law than I and will take your caution in mind during our next visit.  I have a vague positive memory of Nancy's Chili and look forward to sampling her mustard.  Perhaps Heid's in Syracuse offers it?

My gastrointestinal track had an immediate negative reaction when reminded of a Garbage Plate. I'm sure this reaction is age related as my prime for such gastronomic specialties at 2:00am was 30-40 years ago.

As I've mentioned before a good Rochester style meat sauce on a ground round is a treat I do miss and have yet to experience as an export.  Schaller's remains a personal favorite.  This might be slanted by the memory of taking my better half there on dates 40 plus years ago.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    Husband believes "red gravy" goes on everything... especially hot dogs... unless it is good brats in Leavenworth, in which case it is all about the mustards and sauerkraut.  Personally, the only thing you should put on eggs is salsa!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    Mac n' Cheese, anyone? Anyone? 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Love me some Mac'n Cheese. However, I checked and its not on my cardiologist's approved food list.  :|
    Ah, the good old days...
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    Ah....heavy sigh, @JeffroNC

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com