Options

400 Television mount modification - project updates

ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
edited April 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
I have some really cool ideas for modifying the television area in my 2019 400 BL.  But, they all hinge on being able to remove the current television mount, doing the work, then replacing the mount in the exact same spot, just 1/2 inch further from the wall.  Does anyone know what the current mount is bolted into?  Is there part of the rv’s frame at that exact location that enables the bolts in the mount to hold firm, or is there some kind of butterfly or anchoring plate installed in the wall that I will lose if I remove the bolts?  I doubt the later, but would love to see any build photos anyone might be able to dig up that would show the trailer’s frame at that spot during the build.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks!
Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    I can't speak for the 400, but I'll bet it's similar to the 320. My TV mount was bolted through the plastic trim insert and into solid wood boards that had been secured to the wall framing members.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks @ScottG, and the picture gives me great hope.  I haven’t tried a stud finder yet, but I’m guessing if it’s behind there, then it should sense that much wood. 

• Options
    You are welcome, @ADRawli. IIRC, it was not particularly difficult to remove the TV, nor do I think it would be very difficult to put it back. Point being that--worst case--you should be able do a little exploratory surgery without doing any permanent damage.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PaperDesignPaperDesign Member Posts: 6
    I think the 400 has a different backing behind the TV than shown above.  Austin at NuCamp responded with the following when I asked him about replacing my TV mount - "There are 2” bars for the TV mount to be fastened to so if it is a bit taller / deeper that will not be a problem. You will still have structure to fasten it to."  I confirmed these 2" vertical studs with a stud finder on our 2018 TAB 400.   Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited March 2021
    Sounds about right, the studs may be aluminum framing in the trailer.  So shifting down a bit should not be an issue, but you will need to drill holes if the screws are sent taping or use a tap to thread a new hole for a bolt.  Pulling one of the bolts, should tell,you what type of fastener was used.  Just be careful not to drill too deep a hold and go through the wall.  :o
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I can't quite tell from photos, but it looks like the mount in the 400 doesn't have the recessed plastic box of the 320. Is it just secured directly through the wall?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ScottG, that is correct. I removed my 24” TV on my former 400 for the new owners. I do not remember if the screws were self-tapping screws or just screws used to attach to metal.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I was a bit surprised to find that nüCamp used stainless steel (wow!) screws that are “self drilling/tapping”, but they are secured into 2” vertical frame members  running all the way down the wall, just as @PaperDesign says he was told in convo with nüCamp.  I did some extensive deep scanning with a good stud finder today and mapped it out.  So, I’m feeling pretty confident in knowing what’s back there.   

By the way, this is a rough sketch of my idea, a 7 inch shelf above the TV with a small “closet” behind the left side to manage the power cords.   I’ll put our Apple TV, the WeBoost cell booster, and a Wifi hotspot on the shelf, and maybe leave room for my iPad to charge. I’ll add pics when it’s finished, but it won’t be real soon.  But, I did get all my wood this weekend... delivered in only 3 days from Rockler.   Just gathering dimensions and “necessary” tools to start the work.  

• Options
    Thanks for the update, good to know what the TV bracket is attached to.
    cheers
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    This has been a fun ‘mod’ so far.  This was my prototype to make all my mistakes on before I rebuild using the “good wood”.  It fit almost perfectly.  It will be screwed directly to the wall into the 2 inch stud to which the TV was mounted, and then I’ll remount the TV inside, using a 1” spacer (not shown)  and longer screws to give it clearance from the cord control box. 

The pic below shows the opened cord control box that will sit behind the TV.  I will have to move the cut out in the back wall to the left about 1/2” to better center on the opening the power is coming through, and I’ll also mount a power strip in the box running through the same hole down to the outlet.   I’ll probably have to take off the 400 shelf itself to do that, but I’m going to noodle on that a bit before I do.  I’m also going to curve the bottom of the right side top shelf support as well to match the upper curve.

I’m just excited to get all my gadgets together in one place and better tame the mess of cords running all over.  More pics when I’m done.

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Looking good @ADRawli.  I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    edited April 2021
    “Good wood” version now built.  Next step is to test stain the wood with the natural stain/polyurethane to see how closely it matches the nuCamp version, and if all looks good, finish off the construction.  Then I’ll run the power cord up from under the white shelf.  Last steps will be mount the shelf to the wall using the studs behind the TV, mount the TV to the box, and plug everything in. 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Looks really nice!  I really wish I had been able to take “Shop Class” instead of Home Ec!  Carpentry skills are such a bonus!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Sharon, it is not to late, many communities are now offering adult woodworking classes you  can take and learn some new skills.  I wanted to take Home Ec in school back when, but was not allowed either.  :s
    cheers
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Good idea @Denny16!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Fantastic!, @ADRawli.  A job well thought out and executed.  Thanks for posting the final result.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    @ADRawli - nice build and great write-up! You could even remove the glass kitchen partition and build out some spice/utensil storage on the left side as an add-on project later.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    @rhyno That’s not a bad idea at all.  Have to think about it a bit. 

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    ADRawli, How many of those world-class workouts are you able to do in your T@b?  ;) 
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options

@Horigan. Haha!  I wondered if anyone would comment on that.  I did not even pay attention to the screen until I went to post the pic.  Perfect!  Yeah, we do T@B yoga and calisthenics followed by a quick jog every morning in the massive corridor running between the West wing (bathroom), and the East wing (sink) of our 400.   You just have to be careful not to bang your head on the North wing (table) or stub your toe on the South wing (bed) when things really get moving.  Otherwise, there’s ample space... if you’re 2’ 4” and 18 lbs.  🤣😂🤪