Options

Newbie Warning - Beware of the Lurking Zombies

123457»

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I know that feeling!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    We were camping a couple of months ago when JKJenn & Rocky stopped by. We were surrounded by 5th wheels and RVs. One 5th wheel neighbor came over and asked us what our T@B was going to be when it grew up. I said, "It is grown up, but we're not quite yet." He chuckled then invited us over for a steak and baked potato dinner, cut firewood for us, (right before we had a fire ban), and brought us 7 nice trout. I chalk it up to Sweet Pegaleen, and not my charming people skills. He was amazed we were running off solar (200W) and a couple of golf cart batteries, while he ran his generator almost full time. It was cool when they did outdoor movies on a sheet on the side of their rig. When I showed he and his family (was a family reunion) the inside of the T@B, they couldn't believe the roominess and that we had a; DVD player, indoor galley and wet bath. His wife asked him if they could get one for quick getaways. When we told them we would be there for the whole week, she said, "John, maybe we should trade ours in for one of these."
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    JPRolandJPRoland Member Posts: 115
    My wife and I purchased our T@B as a way to travel to see our kids and grandkids while being safe and self-contained. It has been wonderful. The only problem is everyone wants to come see it, stick their heads in, and ask a lot of questions. Yesterday, while traveling east on I-40 west of Memphis a car pulled up next to us holding a sign. I was prepared for, "YOUR STEP IS OUT", but I've been good about that step lately.  Instead, it read: "CALL US AT 903-555-1234 about your T@B! We tried to call, but the man had a thumb over one of the numbers, so we didn't have the number right. About 20 minutes later, we pulled over to make a sandwich and they pulled in right behind us! They were a sweet couple from Texas and we stood there with our masks on and talked about the T@B for twenty minutes. So, it may not be perfect for social-distancing but it does make us proud that we bought something so desirable.
  • Options
    BywaysNWBywaysNW Member Posts: 71
    We've got a 2021 Boondock to get us from home to our grandkids in the Pacific NW and have generally enjoyed the buzz at RV parks.  If only people wouldn't veer off into conspiracy theories about how our western wildfires are getting started.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    So far as COVID, social distancing and the T@B, it actually helps during the pandemic as you no longer need to use rest area facilities and can minimize and eliminate most contact with others.  Nonetheless you do have to get food and fast food drive through areas are too low for the 400, thus requiring a walk-in should you choose to go that way. 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Funny stories.  yeah- they get a lot of attention.  Be safe  :)  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    Haven't had a Zombie Thread in quite a long time.  I didn't believe this actually happened......but, yes, it did, and it still does.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @pthomas745, that was a good reference—the “Zombie” discussions are merged!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JPRolandJPRoland Member Posts: 115
    We aren't even stopping at fast-food places. We just look for nice rest-stops along the way, pull over, make some sandwiches and then take a nap. Our only interaction is between me and the gas pump. I have a pre-existing condition and my doctor has been really wanting me to be smart and stay isolated, so the T@B has turned out to be freedom for us. We are really enjoying being able to be self-contained. At the same time, I can see that we are also becoming people who enjoy camping. I have a feeling that we will be enjoying this long after the pandemic is over.
  • Options
    ginsbujginsbuj Member Posts: 45
    I had a woman in Colorado recently who wanted  training advice on the whole TAB. As much as I enjoy sharing my love of the great little tiny home, she wouldn't let up. My best advice was to join the forum.
  • Options
    ccampbellrn26ccampbellrn26 Member Posts: 2
    Verna, I will be getting my 320 s in December and I am so thankful to see someone else say that they will not be giving tours. This will be my home and not to sound rude, but the thought of someone I do not know coming into my home gives me terrible anxiety! Maybe I could write up some little cards with the basic information about t@bs on them to give to the Zombies, so they can do research when they get back to their homes!?! Do you have something planned as to what you will be saying to them? Thanks!!
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    So true...so true. Funny story:

I came upon Border Patrol inspection stop in AZ two days ago, came to a stop, rolled down my window.

Officer: "Travelling alone?"
    Me: "Yes sir"
    Officer: Anyone ask you for a ride?"
    Me: No sir"
    Officer: "One last question if you don't mind"
    Me: "Sure thing"

Officer (and his partner now, one one each side): "We don't mean to delay your travels sir, but we are curious. How much does one these rigs cost?"  :o

2nd Officer (passenger window), "Does it have a bathroom? How much does it weigh?"

Me ( after a sigh of relief and a chuckle in answering their questions): "Would you like to take a look inside?"

They both said they'd like to but had to get back to work. I thanked them for their service, they thanked me for mine (front license plate frame is "US ARMY VETERAN"), and I went on my way...smiling. 

Zombies come in all shapes and sizes....some even wear uniforms and carry guns. Be careful...be very very careful!   ;)

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    I will admit to having been a stealth-zombie a couple of times.  I saw an Alto Condo Safari in a campground in Grand Teton a couple of years ago (when I started my trailer shopping), had never seen on before; no one was at the campground, so I did a walk around (not touching anything) and wrote down the brand name to research online.  The other time was this past winter when I saw a T@B in a campground and I mostly wanted to verify the tow vehicle (Subaru)--as I had been debating if my Volvo was up to the task; again no one was around. 

When I brought my used T@B home a month ago, I noticed the neighbors watching out the window, but no one, so far, has approached me for a tour.  I haven't had my new-to-me T@B out yet, but I will be prepared for the Zombie hoard!  
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited October 2020
    Verna, I will be getting my 320 s in December and I am so thankful to see someone else say that they will not be giving tours. This will be my home and not to sound rude, but the thought of someone I do not know coming into my home gives me terrible anxiety! Maybe I could write up some little cards with the basic information about t@bs on them to give to the Zombies, so they can do research when they get back to their homes!?! Do you have something planned as to what you will be saying to them? Thanks!!
    I’m not Verna, but...Just set your own boundaries and stick to them. I tell them the brand name and point them to the website or local dealer if I’m in my home area. Price questions depend on the person—strangers get current retail with the comment that mine is not the current model, people I actually know get lectured on negotiating. LOL

I’ve not bothered with the added expense or nuisance of cards. If it’s honestly important to them, they can write down their own notes, and some do.

I’ve let people tour on group events. That won’t be happening again until most people are vaccinated, because I’m immune compromised. A simple “Sorry, it’s not set up for tours,” should suffice once the pandemic is no longer a handy excuse.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    ccampbellrn26ccampbellrn26 Member Posts: 2
    VictoriaP Thanks!!! 
    I like the idea of a simple reply after the pandemic is no longer a handy excuse!!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ccampbellrn26, I like the blanket reply from @VictoriaP, also. We’ve probably all had the “little bit closer than needed” shopper behind us in the grocery line and we never know who has compromised health issues. 

I’ve lived in my house since last December and no neighbor has asked for a tour, though most of them have commented about how much they liked my former 400. I wonder if they will notice my 320 is a different one?😂
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Verna said:
    @ccampbellrn26, I like the blanket reply from @VictoriaP, also. We’ve probably all had the “little bit closer than needed” shopper behind us in the grocery line and we never know who has compromised health issues. 

I’ve lived in my house since last December and no neighbor has asked for a tour, though most of them have commented about how much they liked my former 400. I wonder if they will notice my 320 is a different one?😂
    Interesting...I’ve actually had more tour requests at home this year than last year, mostly because people are home, I think. Lots more people from just outside the culdesac are walking their dogs through my tiny neighborhood. And I’ve allowed most of those to take a peek, simply because the trailer is pretty empty right now and I’m not spending time in it anyway, so any virus in there (everyone’s been masked) would be long dead before I can catch it.

@ccampbellrn26 I’ll also note that number of zombies may directly correlate to your geographic location. West Coast folks tend to be pretty good about staying back and just hinting for an invite (which historically I’ve extended). Other parts of the country seem to be more social. My rig also gets less attention for being cute and more when the Purpleline mover is in use. That’s the point where half the campground comes out to watch the remote controlled trailer seeming to park itself. 😆
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW