Options

Newbie Warning - Beware of the Lurking Zombies

Comments

• Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67
    I gave a tour to a sweet mom and daughter who want a little camper for their own at the gas station last week. The girl was so excited I couldn't say no. And they were still smiling as they drove away.
    2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    KootenaigirlKootenaigirl Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2015
    I was a zombie on vacation and stalked another T@b I could see at another campground across the lake. Kayaked over several times before I finally found them home. Made a quick water landing and a very nice couple gave me a quick tour of their brand new trailer with kitchen at the back and bathroom, very nice.
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    We had a new Lurking Zombie Experience today! We've been traveling in LG/PV Teardrop Trailers since early 2009 and have been answering questions and giving tours these last six years in all sorts of situations. We've had folks follow us to an interstate rest area to ask questions. The postman stopped by when we had it parked in our son's backyard. Just like everyone else we've done it in campgrounds, gas stations, grocery store and restaurant parking lots. We've lost track of how many times we've stopped by LG or PV to get more brochures to hand out. but today was a first when the toll taker on the Big Mac bridge on our way to Michigan's U.P. started asking us questions! She said she's been "lusting" after one! She only stopped asking questions and raised the toll gate when she realized there were at least six vehicles in line behind us!
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    Another aspect of the interest folks have in the T@b is that I have been told by strangers that they always glance over at my T@b when driving past my home. The T@b is parked off the street and while not invisible it is not, in my view, in full view from the street, yet it appears that because of its unusual shape and size it attracts interest. I now worry just a tad that when away camping strangers might notice it NOT by my home and conclude that my house is empty (they might be surprised if they attempt anything untoward when they encounter my grown son who lives with us but does not go camping with us). 

And for what its worth, the last time I stopped for gas with the T@b attached, all three ladies who worked the gas station came out and asked if they could look inside. There were a couple of customers lined up to pay at the counter and they probably did not appreciate having to wait while the employees were looking at my T@b!

2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I've had the gas station experience several times :-)
  • Options
    I think some people love to show off their rigs, I have been invited in for a 'look see' Many times in campgrounds. When someone loves their RV they want to share it. That been my experience. If I ever thought I was a bother, being nosy, I would be mortified! (maybe they are saying that, just not to my face :-()  
    I find that men are afraid to approach alone, so they go get their partner so as not to seem ...creepy?? Most campers are the nicest, friendliest people around. 
    I am very proud & happy with my new trailer and I know people can tell when they ask me about it, or wave on the road or chat me up just about anywhere. I took my first trip for 10 day on the west coast & everywhere I went people just thought it was so cool. I had to agree!
    Yes, there is a little more attention with this cute trailer. I may tire of it...or not. 
    I guess it's my "15 minutes of fame". -andy warhol
  • Options
    I think it's probably because you're a gal so the guys go get their other half. Guys approach me all the time. Pretty much an even spread in campgrounds. In parking lots it's almost always women approaching.
  • Options
    GlennBeckGlennBeck Member Posts: 71
    T@Bs are chic magnets?  Who would've known puppies, babies and a trailer are all introductions to romantic beginnings.   We do get an even spread of male/female interest across all cultural demographics though the "home teardrop" builders are the most curious as they are always looking for inspiration for their current or future creations.
    Glenn & Annie
    2016 T@B CS-S Max Black on Silver
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Hey John, did you buy a new T@B unit yet???  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Spent a few days in northern MN campgrounds and had no zombies till the third one and there, they must have had a zombie meetup and decided to descend on me in mass. Eight showed up as a group. Felt like I was giving a formal seminar. If I'd had them, I'd have brought out a soap box and a bullhorn.
  • Options
    The Wizard of Oz had the same problem and look how he ended up!?!

Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    kccatekccate Member Posts: 51
    My first camping trip brought my first what I thought of as an "un Zombie" encounter. I was just retuning to the site, exiting  my TV, when a woman came out of her giant RV on my left. It was very like the giant one on my right.
    The woman : Where is your camper?
    Me: It is right there (pointing to C@te's Cr@te ).
    The woman : Oh, I have never seen anything so small. (Woman went back inside her RV)

so, do I record this in the annals of Zombie history?
    Cathy and traveling canines, 
    on the sunny side of the street
    2007 Dutchman T@B, C@te's Cr@te
    2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i
  • Options
    You've been exposed to the height of Zombie deception.  Beware as you may stumble upon her again as she secretly covets your Cr@te!
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Perhaps she thought it was just for the doggies.

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Quite the fancy doghouse you have, Mmmmmmmm BRAINS!  And then they have you!
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I had some who waited until I walked away at the rest stop today. When I was far enough away, out came the camera. One of these days I am going to set up the Gopro and walk away from it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I've had people drive by in campgrounds and shoot pics - If I see them coming, I moon them.
    Yes, I am kidding - but I think about it ;-)
  • Options
    kccatekccate Member Posts: 51
    Ok, then I can officially write in my C@te's baby book the first Zombie, though in disguise!! :blush: 
    Cathy and traveling canines, 
    on the sunny side of the street
    2007 Dutchman T@B, C@te's Cr@te
    2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i
  • Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67
    I had some people taking pics in front of me just as I walked my dog back to the campsite.  No mooning, however, my dog was naked.
    My favorite comment so far was a young mom saying "Oh I would love to buy one of those" and her 4 year old son saying "Oh, that's too small"

2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    I think "too small" is on many people's mind until they actually see how it's set up inside. I know that was my impression.
  • Options
    I think we are all amazed when we first walk inside to see how the T@B is put together.  Like the Tardis of campers.  All this stuff in such a small package.  Like my wife!
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    CCPICCCCPICC Member Posts: 43
    My wife and I call them Lookie-Loo's, we get approached all the time, she makes me keep the interior picked up so that she is not embarrassed by the onlookers. My favorite episode is when the couple from a 40 foot driving bus come over to look and they are always amazed. Happy T@B-ing.
  • Options
    KatsKats Member Posts: 95
    We had 4 during a 3 day camping trip to Acadia NP in Maine. All 4 were people with 5th wheels. Had 2 more during the drive from there to Rangeley, Maine. People looking at it at gas stations.  These little rigs definitely turn people's heads. I have yet to see another T@B, though. I guess there just aren't a lot of them in the area where we live.
  • Options
    CCPICCCCPICC Member Posts: 43
    In six years of T@B'ing we have only seen one other T@B in a campground we have stayed at, where is everyone??
  • Options
    Thought I had some Zombies a couple days ago but it turned out to be "sabel". They were camped down at the other end of the campgrounds in their nice looking Outback. First time I've run into anyone from the forums.
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Kats, we had the same thing-- during a trip to Miramachi a few years ago, we saw only one other T@B the whole time. That was just before crossing back into the States in Calais on our way back home. Had a nice chat! But you're right, there don't seem to be a lot of T@Bs around here. Our little white one got a lot of attention any time we stopped.
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    PIXLated,
    On that stay in Arches a couple of zombies came over to visit. They said you sent them over to look at our T@B. Nice people. They were in a tent.
  • Options
    sabel - The two gals? I spent a good half hour with them as they seemed real excited to have discovered the T@B, didn't know they existed. Sent them down your way so they were aware there were different models. Ran into them the next day as I was leaving and they were still excited about the T@B.
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    PIXLated
    It's always fun to give the tour and meet friendly people interested in the T@B or camping in general.
    Don't know if they mentioned it to you but they were camped in a small tent, next to a 50'+ mega rv bus that kept it's generator on all night. Owner of the bus went outside just long enough to use his cell phone and then went back inside. Not exactly camping.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    No, they didn't mention that - That'd suck.
    Of course when I'm in photo editing mode you rarely see me - But I don't run the generator other than to recharge the MacBook.