Options

Newbie Warning - Beware of the Lurking Zombies

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
edited October 2020 in Camping & Travel
As you get your new T@Bs, have bought your leveling blocks, hitch locks and other basic Items and are venturing out into campground land, beware the lurkers. They're like zombies and are hiding in every campground. They come out looking like normal people, all types, shapes, and sizes so they're hard to spot. But, there's one thing they all share, a crook'd neck, gazing eyes that can't be diverted from you're cute little T@B. They return over and over again (walking by as if they're really just out for some exercise) and finally they spring on you with a hopeful look and a "can I take a look at your camper". They'll do it at the most inopportune time - you've just done laundry and are folding your undies - you've just finished cookin dinner - you're trying to get hooked up to leave. So, newbies, be prepared, when you bought your T@B you also became a zombie tour guide. Prepare yourself.

Comments

• Options
    I'm in a nice little campground, only seven others here and of those seven, three are zombies. Two have already been by twice so I figure they'll pounce tomorrow.
  • Options
    JBickJBick Member Posts: 6
    Yes, we have had that experience quite a number of times. Even when it's parked in the driveway at home.
  • Options
    Grocery store lots, gas stations, almost anywhere you stop with a T@B.
    The only time it annoys me is after I've been in the boonies for a week or two (up shooting half the night) and I just need a nice quiet day in the campground to regroup and get reorganized. The zombies don't care :-(
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Every time we've been out there's at least one!
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Yup, happens every time!! Especially when I'm packing up to leave..... "uh-oh she's leaving, if we want to see this thing, it's now or never!!"
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Yes, indeed! I have been honked at and waved to while driving, as well!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I refuse to unlock the Silver Shadow at a gas station. 

It never fails, someone wants a tour at the busiest time at the busiest gas station.  I know I disappointed two ladies on two very pink Harley Davidson's in Arizona, or Western TX, but I had to wait for about 10 minutes to get to a gas pump and then they wanted a tour.  With the line behind me, I had to tell them they were welcome to look inside through the windows and to make note of the website. 

I wasn't trying to be mean, I just didn't want to incur the wrath of those who were waiting behind me.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Good on ya Verna! Most people these days don't care if other people are waiting. Maybe they are missing that enzyme in the brain that tells them other people count too. I think they could learn from you....wait, I think they may be incorrigible!
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    I must admit I enjoy cruzing a campground and checking out the different rigs and camp set ups. However, I have never asked for a tour or peak inside a rig.  I have been known at times to give other owners a thumbs up with a " nice looking rig" comment as I pass. 
  • Options
    So Rad, you're a lurker just not a zombie then.
  • Options
    That would appear to be the case B)
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    Rad said:
    I must admit I enjoy cruzing a campground and checking out the different rigs and camp set ups. However, I have never asked for a tour or peak inside a rig.  I have been known at times to give other owners a thumbs up with a " nice looking rig" comment as I pass. 
    Totally agree with this.  I always cruze the campground, but as much as I want to have never been a zombie.  Even though I have cruzed by many times looking at the T@B/teardrop/small camper since 2009.   Guess I am just a lurker.
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    I don't think we have stayed anywhere without someone expressing curiosity and asking to peek.  No one has been obnoxious yet and the up side is meeting some very nice people.  We live in California and on a trip in Oregon met a couple expressing interest who invited us to have dinner in their huge 5th wheel, and we will meet them in Yosemite this September. Being destination campers, we are usually quite relaxed and welcome meeting others.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    You all must spend more time around camp then me. I am out early and back late, generally.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Catherine is an awesome cook who really values mealtimes, so we are available quite often.  
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    tlbrameltlbramel Member Posts: 2
    This is the price you pay for taking such a cute little thing out in public!
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    tlbramel said:
    So true.
  • Options
    tlbramel said:

Well, I was asked for a tour when the T@b was within the privacy of its own yard. :) One of the parents of the folks who live next door asked me a ton of questions this weekend about the T@b and asked for a tour this afternoon. :) He was completely impressed with the design and use of space.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    tlbramel said:

Well, I was asked for a tour when the T@b was within the privacy of its own yard. :) One of the parents of the folks who live next door asked me a ton of questions this weekend about the T@b and asked for a tour this afternoon. :) He was completely impressed with the design and use of space.
    Yup, my neighbors got the tour and tonight the T@B becomes a guest room for the daughter of long time family friends as she couch surfs her way around the west coast with her boyfriend after graduating from college in June.  
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    So true!  Every single place I stopped on my 1900+ mile trip involved "tourists."  I think I am officially a tourist attraction.  I even had a guy riding a bicycle stop while I was leaving a parking lot to tell me how cool it was.  I give tours any time, both inside and out.  I often have repeat visitors - 50% of a couple comes by and then brings the other 50%.  No one has ever been intrusive.  I should have brochures!   =)
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    I've had my T@B since Thursday and have given tours to 9 neighbors.  I guess it really shows up in my driveway.  It'll be a few weeks before I can lay the bricks in the side yard for it to sit on.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Was just at a family reunion, planned on leaving about 3:00, finally got out at 5:00 - Reason, tours.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Was just at a family reunion, planned on leaving about 3:00, finally got out at 5:00 - Reason, tours.

I figured this was that weekend.  Did you have fun?  Did they like your T@B?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Family reunions on my mom's side are always good - my oldest cousin took the old sand/gravel pit on the old farmstead (now filled with water) and turned it into a private resort - picnic pavilion, big fancy fire pit, 15 campsites with elect/water hookups, bathroom facility with showers. Beach, paddle boats, canoes, swimming platform, etc. - and he's one of the funniest guys I've ever met (dry humor). And all my cousins are interesting no matter what they do. One just got back from a 10 day photography safari to Cuba. Second oldest (72), just got her yoga instructors thingy (some level) - this is a gal that got divorced, raised 6 kids, sent them all to college and then went back and got her own degree. And they're all still simple old farm kids :-)

And yep, they loved the T@B :-)
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    How does a person get a reservation to this private resort??
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    No reservations - Just got to know where it is and show up and be prepared to appreciate my cousin's dry sense of humor :-)
  • Options
    taboutabou Member Posts: 28
    Believe me we have the sames zombies in Canada
  • Options
    pprater123pprater123 Member Posts: 6
    Someone asked if it would be the same size when it grows up.  Ha.   I must admit it looks oretty small compared to some of the campers pulling in.  Imagine their surprise when I wheeled my tab around BY HAND to give us more  space on the pad.  
  • Options
    I find most are surprised at how much room there is inside - Look a lot smaller on the outside.