Options

Newbie Warning - Beware of the Lurking Zombies

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Last campground I was in, had three people lined up before I had even stopped the truck while backing in. Started popping questions before I had the chains undone. Had to ask them to come back once I was unhooked and set up - Crazy
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    *sputters* I got Zombied at HOME!! I'm in my comfy chair, doing a work-at-home day and hear a tentative *knock-knock-knock* at the front door. Mind you, the weather is cold, misty-rainy, icky and I'm in my jammies complete with bed-head hair (who gets dolled up to work at home?). There stands a sweet older lady with her cute rescue doggie smiling really big and gushing about the Lives@verT@B. On the plus side, I met a new neighbor. Dem zombies are EVERYWHERE!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Yup, we gave tours to 4 sets of campers when we camped on New Years weekend, plus one conversation while backing in, and on the drive home waiting for my husband to pick up coffee, someone tapped on my car window and I gave him a tour. Quite the busy weekend! We're expecting snow on our next outing, so it might be a little quieter. :)
    Noooooooooo! That's when they sneak up quieter cuz of the soft snow!!!  hhehehehehe. Gotta luv dem zombies. Put out some trip bells or something.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Cat_913Cat_913 Member Posts: 56
    I have only been out a couple times but each time I had at least 5 people stop by to take a look. I think It is amazing how many people have never seen one before.
  • Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    I will admit to being one of those zombies a couple of years ago. We were tent camping in WY and a cute little yellow T@B pulled in next door. Now we are expecting our own cute little T@B in March.
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    When we were tent camping in the Adirondacks last summer we made a point of strolling by a nearby T@B a couple times a day. The owners always managed to avoid eye contact, and of course we lacked the chutzpah to just walk into their site.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Photomom said:
    When we were tent camping in the Adirondacks last summer we made a point of strolling by a nearby T@B a couple times a day. The owners always managed to avoid eye contact, and of course we lacked the chutzpah to just walk into their site.
    Downstate NY T@bbers B) Trained to avoid eye contact. Take no offense: I hail from the Finger Lakes.

My back yard and driveway are accessed through an alley and in addition to my T@b, we have an RPod. I can guarantee there isn't another alley like ours in town! Even out of the way I get people stopping.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We figured they had been bugged so many times they didn't want to deal with anyone else. We were already pretty sure we wanted one by that point, and after our tent started leaking on that trip we were sold.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    We are just back from an eight day excursion through Southern CA & the Central Coast.  On every stop we had three to four couples come up and inquire about our t@b.  We don't mind.  It's a conversation piece and fun to share the pleasure we are getting out of it.
  • Options
    I love talking to the zombies, just not when I'm eating or preparing a meal, hitching up to leave (esp to avoid weather or DC traffic), late and on my way to meet someone (usually gas station zombies), or setting up camp (yes, even during the initial backing up).

Every zombie I've ever met has a heart of gold, no one is unpleasant, although periodically one spouse will irritably mumble something about being too tall for everything while the shorter spouse/partner totally and happily ignores the comment. My favorite game is to guess which zombie "wears the pants" between the two and which forks out the money for big toys lol.
  • Options
    We love Zombies, especially when they're thinking of joining the clan.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    We were zombies last summer at a WI state Park.   We saw a couple with a Vestabule camper,  which is made in Minnesota.   Looked very nice,  but the price and the fact that it was a smaller size teardrop style led us to keep looking.    Wife said she was tired of dressing lying down,  and thus we found and purchased the Tab.   March 19th is our pickup date.   To tell the truth,  when we get it home,  we plan to sleep in it that night in the driveway... Grin.. 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Just came back from a seven night trip in Southern California.  We had a minimum of three couples a night checking out our t@b.  We enjoyed showing our new toy.  I don't know about the east coast, but they are certainly a novelty out here!
  • Options
    The lurkers I had in Capital Reef were real turkeys - literally.
  • Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    Here's a different twist on the zombie experience.  We were on our way home from the Northern California Olema T@B rally on Sunday. We were on 19th Avenue in San Francisco. If you are familiar with SF you know that is treacherous driving especially on Sunday. Three narrow lanes with stop lights at most every corner. Residental and business and very stop and go. I was in the middle lane and a bus pulled up next to us at a stop light with his window down and trying to get our attention. We put our window down and he said he liked our trailer and questioned us about it. As traffic started moving he was still asking and lastly wanted to know how much it cost. At least he didn't ask for a tour. 
    Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    We just returned from seven nights and eight days through Northern Cal & Oregon, too.  We stopped at four different campgrounds.  There wasn't one stop where we weren't asked about our little t@b.  Can't wait to get on the road again!
  • Options
    A bus driver zombie? Classic!!!
  • Options
    prplxprplx Member Posts: 29
    I have yet to take mine out, but a friend has one, and his wife keep saying they need to make a sign with visiting hours written on it so they can eat dinner quietly!
  • Options
    Saw a T@B in a campground today, wasn't towing mine. Almost stopped to play Zombie just for kicks but it didn't look like anyone was home :-)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Had a zombie at my car window as soon as I pulled into Walmart last night. He and his wife. Had a big motor home but his daughter and son-in-law were from Utah and looking at T@bs last week, he said. Rocky did not appreciate someone approaching the TV.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    A new one for me - In a car wash giving the T@B a much needed bath and mid-spray a gal came in the stall and asked if she could look inside my T@B
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    On our last trip, 6 days, 11 Zombies, including, [but not limited to]  2 sheriffs, the camp host and his wife, 3 park rangers, a very curious bi- plane flying overhead, and a deer that stuck it's head inside the tent! They're everywhere! :o  
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Do they still call it 'Yosemite'? I thought it was now 'Coca Cola National Park'! (Sorry to bring up politics)...

jctangney said:

You never know who that zombie with "It's so cute" line will look like! :) This is in the Lower Pines campground in Yosemite.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    wadebambiwadebambi Member Posts: 8
    We read this before we pick-up our 2017 CS-S and on our first trip we had a sign in book from all the people (zombies) that wanted to view the camper. We ended up with 8 visitors and it also works as a great ice breaker and got to meet some new friends in the process.  
  • Options
    Now that's funny! Great idea! :)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    By the way, welcome aboard!!!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    How do they sign if they have no hands?
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    larrygon said:
    How do they sign if they have no hands?
    Sometimes it's just a bloody hand-swipe or print. No leftover body parts are allowed inside the book!