Options

50th Wedding Anniversary Planning

AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,278
Coming up on our 50th wedding anniversary (December 2022). To celebrate we're planning a year long 50 state adventure hitting the lower 48 and Alaska with our T@B plus a flight to Hawaii (never been there). The debate is over the timing. Do we start after our 49th and end it on our anniversary or begin the trip on our anniversary date. Leaning toward starting on our anniversary (after the mark has been met). Thoughts?
Stockton, New Jersey
2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

50th Wedding Anniversary Planning 12 votes

Start on 49th / End on 50th in Hawaii
58%
db_cooperdragonsdoflyMarcelineDutch061VictoriaPdlbRMo 7 votes
Start in Hawaii on 49th / End on 50th
0%
Start on 50th / End with flight to Hawaii
25%
SubaruLouberggerSusanD 3 votes
Start on 50th in Hawaii / Hit the road after returning
16%
Jackie_DaveUSSBird 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    What does your other half want to do?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited June 2021
    Where you start from, kind of depends on where your home base is?  If east coast, I would start the trip in the spring, and end in Hawaii.  That said, Hawaii is a busy tourist destination, but has very few tourists in the late fall/early winter (Oct-Dec).  

I was there twice, once in May/June and the joint was jumping, Waikīkī Beach looked like a very busy cocktail party, standing room only.    The second time was late in October, and Waikīkī Beach was practically deserted, and I had the beach mostly to myself.  Off season is also less expensive in Hawaii.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @Marceline ... We're both leaning toward not starting until our actual 50th. It'll give us more time to prepare. Although that might be more me and my OCD telling me that starting before then would be cheating. =)
    @Denny16 ... We're in the North East (NJ), so starting and ending with southern states makes sense. I'm leaning toward celebrating our 50th (December 25th / long story there) in Hawaii, then heading south after we get home (and as soon as there's a stretch of weather that won't freeze up the T@B).
    My wife posted a similar question on the nuCamp Facebook Group. Seems like everyone there was saying start now. Don't put it off. The thing is, being retired we'll be doing plenty of short and some longer trips between now and the start of this adventure. The challenge will be hitting all 50 States during a single year. The question is when to start and what to start with? Curious of other peoples opinions.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I will ALWAYS argue that you should start sooner rather than later. At 38, I was unexpectedly forced to retire due to disability. At 46, I lost my husband to cancer.

We are never guaranteed good health or enough time, either on this earth or with those we love. Just pick an option and go.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @VictoriaP ... I couldn't agree more with that sentiment. We're both around 68 years old and both retired last year. Our health is good, but our finances are not that great. We could have continued working like so many do, but made the decision to live life while we can. Sorry for your loss.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    AnOldUR said:
    @VictoriaP ... I couldn't agree more with that sentiment. We're both around 68 years old and both retired last year. Our health is good, but our finances are not that great. We could have continued working like so many do, but made the decision to live life while we can. Sorry for your loss.
    Congrats on your retirements! Such a huge accomplishment. The money thing obviously makes that a harder decision, but I’m glad you were able to make that choice.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    We had our 50th this past December (17th) and were not able to return to the islands.  Give the Islands time to heal and deal with all the rebuild after the pandemic.  A lot of turmoil going on currently and need to let them have time to work it out.  As much as we love Hawaii, we don't want to be part of the problem.  rental cars and all prices are up considerably.  Hawaii is and will always be in our hearts and our home away!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    USSBirdUSSBird Member Posts: 66
    Start on 50th in Hawaii / Hit the road after returning
    @AnOldUR Any way you do it, congratulations on retirement and soon to be 50th wedding anniversary! Woot! I voted, "Start on 50th in Hawaii / Hit the road after returning" but there is wisdom in not tempting fate and getting on the road to either.  Who saw covid coming?  Go!
    2021 T@B 400 BD / 2020 Ram 1500, Northwest Arkansas
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,003
    Start on 50th / End with flight to Hawaii
    After living on Oahu for 3 years back in my Army days and having visited most of the other islands I highly recommend the Big Island. It’s huge compared to the others and has just a fraction of the people. So much to do and see there and the variety of landscapes and climate zones is crazy. I’ve vacationed there 3 times and we’re going back next year. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @AnOldUR, as the saying goes, life is what happens while you're making plans. Go now, don't wait. I have learned the hard way to "live like you are dying". Accept the gift of adventure you have been given graciously, throw caution and hesitation to the winds, open your arms wide, breathe in the freedom and just GO.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited June 2021
    Enjoy yourself; it's later than you think.
    Unless there is some upside to delaying a year, get going on Boxing Day this year.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    I second what Marceline said.  :D
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    How about start on the 49th and finish at the end of 50?  😁

Congrats to you both!
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    Start now, no time like the present! To end in December, choose a warm place.  Hawaii is warm that time of year compared to the other 49.

Most of all enjoy each other and the adventure!
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Appreciate the replies and votes. Convincing arguments!
    Definitely a lot to think about.

I’ll post what ever it is that we decide. More thoughts are welcome. Thank you.
    Stockton, New Jersey