Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited April 2022
    A lot depends on your camping style. If you take quick trips of a night or two before moving on to the next location or back home? People in that category tend to go with a visor rather than an awning. Awnings and tents both lend themselves to longer stays.

In general, the people I’ve seen who go with tents end up regretting it. It takes quite a while to set one up and tear it down, plus they’re bulky and heavy compared to an awning or visor. All of which which means you’ll only want to deal with it for trips where you don’t move the trailer often. The people I know who prefer side tents often are those who have children and need the extra room for sleeping, or those 6’ or taller who can’t fully stand up inside a 320 and use the tent for getting dressed, etc.
    Most Tabbers I’ve met feel that Pahaque has gone downhill in recent years as far as quality vs. price goes. If you decide you want an awning near that price range, I’d go with the similar one from All Pro Adventures instead: https://allproadventures.com/collections/t-b-accessories/products/new-tab-320-awning. It has more cross members for better support, and aluminum poles instead of fiberglass. (I don’t own this awning and have no relationship to the business other than as a customer of another product they carry. But we have many people on the forum who love this awning.)
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    I have three options, and which one I use depends on weather, location, and my energy level. My least used is the side tent but I like it when I use it. The visor is quick and easy unless there’s high winds. My tarp awning is my
    usual “go to” but again it depends on where I am and for how long. I also bought each in different years because they are expensive and I looked for deals. You’ll figure it out! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    @CCC - We contemplated on your decision as well and we decided on the tent.  We have used our tent for 5 years with no regrets.  With practice it only takes a few minutes to set up or tear down.  As we routinely leave the bed set up, the tent is our front porch and dining room.  When it rains, we can still sit in the tent and we hang our raincoats on the TaB wall using suction cups.  Very bug proof.  We use a large covered tub to store items for quick retrieval and the tent is a good place for it.  We keep everything dry and the TaB stays cleaner.  You will need a portable step, or you can sew a hatch in the skirt for the pull out steps.  It has held up through high winds and lots of rain.  We use seam sealer as you would on any tent.  If we are at a campsite for less than 3 nights, we don’t usually set up the tent as it would not see much use in that short time period.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Agree on the lower quality of Pahaque unless they have improved in past four years. Go with All Pro products and there is no doubt as to longevity and quality. 
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    We do an awning and a screened pop up depending on bugs, weather, where we're camped, and for how long. Advantage of the awning and a stand alone whatever is you can choose the location of the tent or the pop-up. If the tent only attaches to the T@B then your options are more limited. Stand alone tents can also be sturdier, more weather proof and better quality for the money.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I bought a T@B to get away from futzing with a tent. The awning is a good compromise. I do like the PahaQue with the full roll-down sides as it can provide a nice "porch" with very good protection in inclement weather (a common occurrence in my neck of the woods). And, as a single sheet of material with no floor, screen panels, flaps, etc., it is easy enough to dry out (if necessary) upon returning home.

This topic has come up multiple times in the past. If you do a search you are bound to find lots of additional opinions  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    edited April 2022
    Few owners did DIY awning, probably 10x cheaper.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    We have gone back and forth on the All Pro tent. We bought the All Pro awning and love it and use it all the time. It is strong, sturdy and easy to put up. 
    What I came to realize is that in most places we camp it would be impossible to set up the side tent. If we camp on  a level field away from other campers, the tent would work. But many times we have a narrow camp site or a table, trees, etc too close to set up a tent. The tent is an expensive investment so before we made the decision, we really paid attention to when we could/would actually use it and realized it wasn’t necessary. 
    The tent would be great for the grandkids and to keep the Tab clean and maybe one day we will decide to buy it for the occasional use. But for now I have to agree that the visor or the pop up shelter is a great alternative. 
    mary 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    Cheryl13Cheryl13 Member Posts: 30
    We started with a tarp/keder setup and still carry it for heavy rain.  I made an awning starting from information on this forum for our regular use. We add 2 poles to the awning if wind or rain are in the forecast.  Hope to acquire or make a screened space at some point.   The longest we have stayed anywhere is 4-5 days. (hope I got pic sizing better this time!)
    2021 T@B 400
    2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    I started with a Pahaque awning, then got a Pahaque visor, and now I have a square awning from Marti’s Awnings. The last has worked best for me. 
    http://martisawnings.com/
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    ScottG said:
    I bought a T@B to get away from futzing with a tent.
    This was my first thought. Not only is there time spent setting up and breaking down but you should really ensure it is dry before packing it away. Avoiding all of that is the major reason we got our T@B. Everyone's situation is different so it really comes down to a matter of opinion and how you want to do you.
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    As you can see in the comments, this is a horses for courses kind of decision.
    We went with the All Pro shade wing visor and also have a Gazelle pop-up that can be set up next to it should we need more space. On a trip last summer, the remnants of a hurricane migrated north to our camp area and stayed there for nearly three days. Essentially constant rain the whole time. The visor made things tolerable by providing a decent sized dry area to change in/out of rain gear and to dry the dog before letting her back into the camper. We set up the Gazelle adjacent to the visor, over a picnic table, so had a nice, dry area to cook and eat
    We had a minor issue with one of the fiberglass rods on the awning (it split) later in the season. The issue did not result in the awning being unusable, and All Pro quickly sent a replacement when we contacted them.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 41
    Re Awning for T@B 320.

This is a great question. Been there. My first T@B (2007 model) I had the T@B add-a-room. Very nice but it did take a good half hour to set up. Lots of privacy if that is what you are looking for and better protection from the elements.

I now camp alone with my newer 2019 320 clam shell model. I made a diy awning for 170 Cdn $. Lots of compliments and sets up in 10 minutes. Here is a link to my awning. https://georgianwinds.wixsite.com/teardropmods/copy-of-mod-14 I like it because it is a bit more open and welcoming to guests.

I also set up a sun/rain shelter over the galley hatch if I am camping for a few days. Great protection from the rain while cooking and again I can set it up by myself.
    Camper - 2019 T@B 320 CS, TV - 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel
    Scott & the S.S. PorT@Bella

My Teardrop Mods  https://georgianwinds.wixsite.com/teardropmods 
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    Different camping styles require different solutions. We started with the All Pro Sun Wing Visor but for our minimalist approach to TAB’ing it proved to much. We have since downsized to a “home crafted” visor. Smaller, lighter,easier to set-up/take-down with adequate shade. 

2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    nice Very nice, will you share details on how you made this one.  I am looking for something similar.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    Supplies and a short discussion on how we made the visor are below. As with most(all) Nucamp modifications the devil is in the detail. There were many decisions (use bias tape or not, double fold, triple fold, or extra wide, cut or keep finished edge of material, length of 3” webbing on each end, length of slot to insert poles, location of the slot to insert the pols, insert the poles on one side or both sides, location of guy straps, how best to attach the guy straps) made during the sewing process that we did not included in the spirit of brevity. 

Supplies

Figure 9 Carabiner Rope Tightener (2) REI Purchase
    PMI Utility Cord 50 ft x 1/8” REI Purchase
    Coghlans Fiberglass Tent Pole Kit (2 packages of 4 poles), 3 poles 9.5 mm wide x 69.5 cm long, 1 pole 9.5 mm wide x x66 cm long. Amazon Purchase
    Coghlans Shock Cord 18’ x 3/32” Amazon Purchase
    Ottertex Canvis Fabric Waterproof Outdoor 60” Wide 600 Denier (5 yards) Amazon Purchase
    Webbing Polypropylene 3" Black 1800# Sailrite Purchase
    Webbing Polypropylene 1” Black(guy cord loops) 
    Keder Awning Rope Black 5/16" Sailrite Purchase

Steps we took:

We decided on a total straight length of 100 inches(ease of calculations and measurement). We printed graph paper where one square equaled 2”. Divided our 100” length in half and started experimenting with width and degree of arc we want using the graph paper. We settled on a 44” arc. 

On the material we measured a length of 100”, established a centerline (50”) and measured out 6” from the centerline on each side. Using the 6” mark as our pivot point we drew our arc using a 44” yard stick with a marker attached to draw  half of the arc, stopping at an imaginary line extending up from our 6 inch mark. Repeated the process on the other side of the arc. We joined the arc with a straight line.

We decided to fabricate a pole casing measuring 2 1/2” wide rather than extend the arc 5” and folding it over to make the pole casing. Making a separate pole casing was the right decision, however, if I had one do over, I would use a lighter nylon fabric for the casing rather than the original material. 

We cut the fabric, easy part done and my work here is complete. I turned the HARD work over to my DW to execute my vision into reality. The sewing begins!!! She was able to sew everything with a generic Brother machine, 18 gauge needle and Coats & Clark outdoor exterior 100% poly thread. 

Every seamstress has their method, likely no two are the same. If you have specific questions, please send a PM and we will be glad to answer all your questions.

Cheers

2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Grand, thanks.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,283
    edited May 2022
    We like our (now discontinued) IKEA half umbrella. The bracket mounted to the side wall is not something most T@B owners would want to subject their trailer to, but it takes seconds to put up and take down. We plan to modify the frame for a slightly larger cover made with nicer fabric. It does a good job of protecting the door from sun and rain. We also use a Coleman pop-up over the picnic table for longer stays. 
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler