Options

TAB 320S BD City Water overflowing

I recently purchased a 2022 TAB 320 S Boondock Edition and took it on my first camping trip.  I picked a State Park that had water and electrical hook ups so I could get to know how things work. In addition, I had reviewed the Introductory Video by Nucamp several times.  At the camp site and after hooking up to the electricity, I connected my water hose to the source spigot and then aligned my blue and green levers for City water.  I then connected the other end of the hose to the City Water connection on the nautilus. I turned the spigot on to supply water to the trailer. Shortly after, I noticed water coming out of the rear of the trailer.  I surmised that this may be normal since the fresh water tank has an overflow valve.

The question I have is this normal for the water to spill out when on City Water.  Do you let it go? What is the proper procedure?  Do I turn the water off at the spigot and switch the blue and green levers to Dry Camp and then use the pump switch. Or do I turn the water off and keep it on City Water? I was under the impression that the fixtures inside the TAB would draw on City Water as needed but if I turn the City water off at the source how is getting water to the trailer fixtures supposed to work? I called a NUcamp Tech and he said it could be that your Aldi safety drain valve was left open from when it was winterized.  I checked the drain line lever and it was in the closed position.

2022 TAB 320S BD Jeep JKU, Southern Utah

Comments

• Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    It is definitely not normal for water to come out of the overflow when the Nautilus is set to 'city water' mode. This mode should bypass the freshwater tank entirely. Are you totally certain you have the 'city water' mode set correctly? If so, if you drain your freshwater tank entirely (there's a low-point drain for it located on the trailer frame behind the passenger-side tire, open a faucet for maximum efficacy) and try to operate in 'city water' mode, does the tank refill?
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 372
    edited October 2022
    Hi, Where exactly is water coming out in the rear of the trailer?  Is it the fresh water tank overflow tube?  Do you have a water pressure regulator on your city water inlet?  I have a 2021and need to add one in line.  I believe the 2022 have one supplied with the camper.  But it's probably worth double checking.  Lift your seat and look behind the nautalis panel and see if one is there.   All new 2022 models include an inline water pressure regulator (vanillacommunity.com)
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Whether or not the newer trailers have the "installed water pressure regulator" is very dependent on the build date.  Some of them did, as the link @Yoshi_TAB shows above.  (Check the link and look at the picture to see if you have an installed pressure regulator.)  Nucamp stopped installing them either due to supply issues, etc.
    Most likely, if you did not use a pressure regulator, you have popped the Famous Yellow Flapper valve.  The yellow valve down near the Alde compartment is: a pressure safety valve for the entire plumbing system, especially in the case of a city water connection that is not using a water pressure regulator. So, get into the Alde compartment and have a look for the yellow valve.  If it is sticking up, press it back down to reset it. 

All of the little drain spouts under the trailer have a specific purpose, and match a specific drain.  This thread will show you all the little low point drain valves under the trailer, and show what spout drains what.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ageoageo Member Posts: 5
    This is a follow up to my original post at 11;05 today. My 2022 TAB 320S BD does not appear to have an "installed water pressure regulator."  A blue plastic regulator (psi 40-50) was provided by the dealer.  Here's where it gets confusing. At the campsite, I hooked up the water hose from the faucet source and then hooked up to the nautilus connection marked for city water and made sure the levers were both in the horizontal position. I turned the water on at the source and nothing happened.  No water was flowing. So I unhooked the hose from the source and removed the provided blue plastic regulator and turned the water on and the water started to flow from the source outlet. Confused, I needed help so I asked the camp ground host and explained what happened. He said the city water here is already reduced to about 45 psi so you don't need the regulator. So, I took his advice and hooked up the hose at the source without the supplied regulator and turned the water on again as indicated on then nautilus panel. I could hear it flowing so after a bit I opened up the front kitchen faucet and let it spit and sputter until water was flowing and then i shut it off. After a short time water started to come out a tube at the rear driver's side of the trailer. 
  • Options
    Hi, Which tube in this picture is the water coming from?  If it's #2, it's likely either the water pressure is too high or the yellow safety valve is stuck.  Try flipping it up and down and then leave it down.  I guess it's possible that the campground has already reduced the pressure at all sites..I've never encountered that, but I guess it's possible.  Maybe ask a fellow camper at another site.

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    The "inexpensive" plastic regulators can fail.  Have you found the Famous Yellow Flapper?

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    And they do not work very well.  Get a good brass regulator.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    New information. Following advice from this thread. I discovered the water coming from the driver's side rear of the trailer is a clear plastic tube that comes out of the Alde direct vent boiler and joins with another solid black tube before exiting through a hole through the floor. The clear blastic tube only appears on the outside of trailer. Please see photos. This may have nothing to do with hooking up to city water.

The first photo shows the exit point next to the safety drain valve.  The second photo shows the clear plastic tube that exits the trailer just in front of the rear stabilizing jack. The to third picture shows the clear plastic tube coming out of the Alde direct vent boiler. Perhaps this will shed some light on the subject.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    There is a check valve on the clear vent hose, perhaps this has failed, allowing water to flow out the vent with the extra pressure from the city water connection.
    cheers

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @ageo -
    The single clear hose under the TaB is for the Alde Safety/Drain (yellow flapper valve).  
    The clear hose that exits the top of the Alde is to allow air to enter the Alde water tank to assist tank emptying.  The black hose that exits the Alde brass flow assembly is the auto air bleeder for the glycol system.  Both of these hoses enter the rubber plug in the floor of the TaB, but are not visible individually under the TaB.  You will only see a large, black port exiting under the TaB as labeled in #4 in Yoshi_Tabs photo above.  

I suggest looking for debris under the flapper valve.  Flip it both ways, then press on it to release water.  If you lift up on the valve, you will see water exit through the clear tube.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Hi @Sharon_is_SAM  Isn't the yellow flapper line on the blue tubing line for the cold water water and the clear line is on the red line for the hot water?  Just double checking..tks
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Yes, the Alde cold water feed line has the Safety/Drain valve in-line (yellow flapper) and water exits via the clear spike under the TaB.  The clear hose that enters the black plug is on a one way return valve shared by the red Alde hot water line.

You can see the clear line exiting from the valve and entering the plug in this photo.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    And the white connector the red and clear tub go to on the Alde boiler is the check valve, to allow air in, but not water out.  If the check valve fails, hot water could exit via the drain, me thinks.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. Whatever it was that I did, I must have done something right because it's all working just fine.
  • Options
    Glad you got it sorted.  Must have left a hot water drain valve open, or the yellow relief valve got stuck.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Great..best wishes
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland