Options

Renogy 100watt solar bundle

13»

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited December 2015
    232 ah (amp hours). I've remembered incorrectly before and this is what is on the battery.   Both of them are 232 ah each, but since they are wired in series, giving 12V, the ah measurement is the equivilent of one of the batteries. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    That's awesome.  You can stay in the boonies a long time with that.  Does anyone know what the amp hours are for the battery that comes with the T@B?

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    RZRBUG said:
    That's awesome.  You can stay in the boonies a long time with that.  Does anyone know what the amp hours are for the battery that comes with the T@B?
    The dealer installs the battery so it isn't the same for everyone.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RZRBUG said:
    Mine was a 75 Ah battery that came with the T@B. But, as Jenn pointed out, it depends on what the dealer wants to pay for. 

I have 200 watts of solar panels to go with the batteries. 

I did start a new duscussion for the battery installation. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited December 2015
    If I have sun, I can boondock forever - The limiting factor is social and food. I like fresh stuff so after a week, I'm heading close to civilization. I know some can be real hermits and spend forever in the boonies - That's not me so my puny litte group 24 works - may switch to a 27 at some point.
    What you need or can get by with totally depends on a lot of different factors.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I think mine is 80 Ah.  Would be highly unlikely that any dealer would install a larger one than that.  Since I want to stay with a single battery (at least for now), I am looking at a Group 30 that has 150 Ah.  I think that should be adequate for my needs.  Hope I can squeeze it in the box.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUG said:
    I think mine is 80 Ah.  Would be highly unlikely that any dealer would install a larger one than that.  Since I want to stay with a single battery (at least for now), I am looking at a Group 30 that has 150 Ah.  I think that should be adequate for my needs.  Hope I can squeeze it in the box.
    150Ah would be great. I had 100 Ah with 80 watts of solar panels last winter. It worked for all but 3 nights--2 totally sunless days and one night with a blown fuse on the Zamp solar panel and it got dark before I coukd diagnose it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Totally sunless days - That's when you hit the hookups or pull out the generator :-)
    So, with bigger battery setups, how many sunless or rainy days do you think you can last.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Totally sunless days - That's when you hit the hookups or pull out the generator :-)
    So, with bigger battery setups, how many sunless or rainy days do you think you can last.
    I should get two days, easily, I hope. If I know it's going to rain for two straight days like it did last winter, I can plan ahead and pull fuses for the sound system and other stuff. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Last spring headin back north I had three weeks of rain - 4 days rain then 1 sunny - wash/rinse/repeat - Sucked.
  • Options
    If it's going to be heavy rain for more than two days, I'll head for a state park with electric.  There's an RV park east of Yuma, that is $18/night with full services--sewer, water and electric at each site for only $18. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Last spring headin back north I had three weeks of rain - 4 days rain then 1 sunny - wash/rinse/repeat - Sucked.
    Are those ling term BLM sites generally safe from flash flooding? I have seen photos of those campgrounds and it looks like it would be challenging to get out in a hurry.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    PXLated said:
    Are those ling term BLM sites generally safe from flash flooding? I have seen photos of those campgrounds and it looks like it would be challenging to get out in a hurry.
    Jenn, I was parked next to a dry wash at a BLM, hitched up and ready to pull out with a forecast for thunderstorms last February. It didn't rain. I figured I could lose the privy tent and the 5x7 screenroom, as long as I didn't lose the truck and teardrop. I ended up leaving anyway because of the doggone hitchiker that unnerved me. 

I figure you have to watch where you park, stick to as high of ground as you can, and listen to the forecasts.

I spent one weekend in the highest elevation state park I knew of because the forecast varied ftom 4" to. 8" of rain. The SP got 4" plus a lot of wind. I watched a lot of TV that weekend. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Jenn - I stay as far away from washes as I can when boondocking. and do watch weather. The rain I had was northern NM and all the way across KS.
    I did stay in a canyon by Lake Havasu and had rain but no problem. Others didn't seem to worried about it. Left there and got down to Parker and they had frontend loaders scooping up sandy mud from the county campground, it got inundated with runoff. Who'd have thunk you'd be better off bonndocking in a canyon vs a campground.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    On the battery box, I did what Pxlated indicated.  Just laid a new metal platform for the battery (batteries in my case), and just bolted to the old battery box.  Worked fine and a lot easier than welding.  
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Verna said:
    If it's going to be heavy rain for more than two days, I'll head for a state park with electric.  There's an RV park east of Yuma, that is $18/night with full services--sewer, water and electric at each site for only $18. 
    Which park is that Verna?
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I upgraded my front box to aluminum, but did not use the LG rounded box, still using the welded propane and battery box holders that came with the plastic tub. I used a box from etrailer that increased the height slightly and gave me a few more inches all around. I have the semi-flex 100W solar installed, fuses to the charger and from the panel (connections and fuses are to the right in the last photo), and my battery is a group 24 flooded 80 Ahr provided by the dealer. 

The box had to have a hole cut out in the back. This made the backside of the box flex when I opened the lid in cool temps (lid has a hydraulic opener - a bit stiff in colder weather). I shored up the hole with wood, and then used decorative aluminum grill to close off the hole even more (it added support, but the intent was to close off extra open space without compromising air flow).

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Which park is that Verna?
    Dateland RV Park
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Thanks Verna!!!!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
    Hello T@Bers I just bought Renogy 100watt Solar kit. I have a question? can this kit be connected to Zamp Outlet, and where can I buy the connector? Thanks a lot.
    2016 T@B Maxx S, Nissan Pathfinder
  • Options
    JLtab_ no it does not plug into the Zamp plug. The Renogy comes with the MC4 connectors. If you want to use the Zamp plug, you can buy 2 MC4 connectors (male and female) and make a pigtail going in front tub - I think you can use 10 gauge wire. Please note that Zamp uses a proprietary plug that looks like an SAE, except Zamp's plug has the positive and negative leads normally found on an SAE oppositely connected on the battery. If you make a pigtail, either swap the wires connections at the battery or remember to swap them when making the pigtail. I'd personally swap in the pigtail and you won't have to remember what you did if a Zamp is in your future. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    If your controller is before you plug into the Zamp port, simply buy an SAE cable and cut one end to put into the solar controller and use the other end for Zamp. If you are looking to go straight from MC4 to SAE you can make the cable yourself. I bought an SAE cable and cut off one end and put MC4 connectors at them other end. It isn't difficult and if you search YouTube you can find plenty of videos on how to make a solar MC4 cable.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,485
    Jltab, I just received my Renogy kit, and will be doing the same thing. I assume you're asking about the solar suitcase with the controller--these come with jumper-cable style clamps to attach to your battery. Renogy does not sell an adapter to connect to a Zamp port, so you would either have to lop off the clamps and replace them with an SAE connector, or build a new pigtail as Ratkity described.

Note that the kit includes a 10 amp fuse on the positive lead near the battery clamp. If you opt to build a whole new pigtail, you should incorporate such a fuse, as the built-in Zamp leads do not feature one (at least on mine). How you approach this may dictate whether you can swap the wires at the pigtail, or if you will need to do it at the battery. Either way, I would ring everything out with multimeter before lighting it up. (Thanks for that polarity reminder, Ratkity!)

The suitcase uses 14 gauge wire throughout. You can go larger (e.g., 10 gauge) but don't go smaller. Check your SAE pigtail carefully before you buy and install.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Just got off the phone with Zamp and their 100 W Flex are now available. Measure 21.25 x 41.5 - listing somewhere in the $550 range (variable by dealer). I believe they come with 10' UV resistant wire. You would need to order the ports roof caps (if you go that route) and controller separately - 15 amp should work for work for 2 panels. They are currently updating their website and working on a brochure. 
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
    Thanks everyone
    2016 T@B Maxx S, Nissan Pathfinder
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    listing somewhere in the $550 range
    Which is why I don't expect to have Zamp in my future.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    Are the flex more expensive than the solids?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    PXL, yes they are more money. I liked the idea of permanent installation, but not the "ok, where's South?" non-shaded camping spot. I decided to do the suitcase thing after having to take off a permanent install.

That flexible panel was a pain to take off because I used automotive trim tape to put it on the T@Bitha. I wasn't expecting a recall. 
  • Options
    Ratkity - I remember you mentioning the difficulty.
    You'll love the portable flexibility. Am tucked under trees 20 ft from the Colorado but have solar all day with a move mid day.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    edited March 2016
    When I mounted the batteries in the propane box, I just built a new floor to hold the battery (out of diamond aluminum sheet that was bolted to the existing battery box below).  Cut the diamond sheet with tin snips.  It was a tight fit, but I had two group 27 batteries in the space of a DM without any other modification.

Oh and my permanent solar installation is still humming along after more than 3 years....