Options

Baking With The Q

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,451
    You can buy a replacement thermometer and--if you can drill a hole--install it in the lid of a Q model that doesn't have one.

Q's do come in different sizes (physical dimensions as well as BTU's). I think PXL has a larger version, as the pans he uses are a bit too big for my grill surface. I'll have to devise something a little smaller so I can experiment with more baking this season.

Just something to be aware of if you are looking to pick up a new Q. They are great grills!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    "great grills" <- Best I've had and seen to be the ampground standard - Have seen them in every campground I've been in. Good grilling - Cowboy Ribeye, 2" thick - Had to cut it in half, way to big for my appitite but the right hickness - Good rub - Grilled at 450 degrees for three minutes a side...

Y U M M Y  :-)

• Options
    lara9209lara9209 Member Posts: 45
    So ... I loved the Q Oven that PXLated created.  So on our maiden voyage ... we stopped at Fred Meyer to pick up the two cookie sheets.  Sadly, they were too big.  So we took them back the next day and purchased a two piece broiler pan that is 7.5"x11.5 that fits.  It is essentially a smaller version of what PXLated was using.  

Same deal ... used binder clips to hold the two together.  And it worked like a charm.  I actually found that it heated up fairly fast and made great muffins.  I am married to a Brit ... so this was a welcome addition to our 4PM tea-time each day.

Pics below ...

John & Lisa, 2016 M@x S, Silver/Yellow, Hood Canal, WA, TV = 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Holy yummy!! Those look fabulous!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Sounds good.
    The one appliance I thought I'd miss the most was the microwave. Haven't missed it at all. Really surprised me. Now if I'd known I could make cake on demand, well.
  • Options
    lara9209, like me, you must have the smaller version of the Q. I've been looking for a suitable alternative to PXL's setup. Thanks for the info on the broiler pans!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ScottG said:
    lara9209, like me, you must have the smaller version of the Q. I've been looking for a suitable alternative to PXL's setup. Thanks for the info on the broiler pans!
    Maybe you could use a mini broil and roast pan set? I saw someone in the FB group used a set and said it worked. They come in different sizes.

I don't have a Q, so I am considering the Coleman oven. It's not expensive and folds flat.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    jkjenn said:
    ScottG said:
    Maybe you could use a mini broil and roast pan set? I saw someone in the FB group used a set and said it worked. They come in different sizes.

I don't have a Q, so I am considering the Coleman oven. It's not expensive and folds flat.
    I had the Coleman oven.  It worked OK, but would tend to overcook the bottom.  I found that a 1' x 1'  ceramic tile would fit the rack perfectly and would help to diffuse the heat.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Second the ceramic tile to diffuse heat on the Coleman.
  • Options
    Ditto on the overcooking the bottom in the Coleman over. Nice that a 12x12" tile will work! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Could probably bake a pizza directly on those ceramic tiles.
  • Options
    I wonder if they make a small pizza stone that would fit in the Coleman? 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ratkity said:
    I wonder if they make a small pizza stone that would fit in the Coleman? 
    It's on my list to check out Bed Bath and Beyond. If not there, of to Lowe's for a 12x12 ceramic tile in my favorite color!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I don't know the answer to this question, but it was just an observation. Would you use foil on top of the ceramic tile in case the ceramic tile wasn't "food grade"?  Is there such thing as a "food grade" porous ceramic tile or will any non-glazed tile work? Guess it wouldn't matter if baking muffins or a casserole. I'd hesitate to put food directly on one designated for landscaping (not that I know for sure there's even a difference between that and say a "pizza stone").
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    I don't know the answer to this question, but it was just an observation. Would you use foil on top of the ceramic tile in case the ceramic tile wasn't "food grade"?  Is there such thing as a "food grade" porous ceramic tile or will any non-glazed tile work? Guess it wouldn't matter if baking muffins or a casserole. I'd hesitate to put food directly on one designated for landscaping (not that I know for sure there's even a difference between that and say a "pizza stone").
    I was thinking the same. Normally ceramic tiles are not glazed or painted on the rear. The front will stay "pretty"!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Ratkity said:

Wouldn't you still use a tray or dish?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Ratkity said:

Wouldn't you still use a tray or dish?
    It wouldn't be necessary. I would use either the metal or the tile/pizza stone. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Now I've done it.. I'm going to have to ask my baking chef of a baby sister. I can hear it now "Why would you want to know? I'm the one who always cooks when we're camping?" To which I reply, "I remember tent stakes and the mallet, hatchet and other tools. You feed me. Win-win!" Then she gets the "big seester smile". I'm pretty sure I get the better end of the deal.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I went online and looked up pizza stones.  Several companies sold them by size.  Ordered a 12X12 and it fit perfectly.  Depending on what I make I use the oven rack or just place things directly on the stone.
  • Options
    "a 12x12 ceramic tile in my favorite color" ... Blue?
  • Options
    It appears you can use marble or granite tiles (much talk of how they work well).  These are available in a bluish color (and are available in 12X12 squares).
  • Options
    Nice to know mash! I'm still dr00ling over those good-looking muffins. Guess I should round up some breakfast before I start gnawing on my left arm.
  • Options
  • Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    so if you use a pizza ceramic tile do you set it directly on grate or on the baking pan set-up?

Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    I prefer the right.
    They do taste a little different. (Mine, I mean. I want to be very clear that I don't know anything about PXL's!)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
  • Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    Thank you. Will be testing it out. I have all the suggested parts to turn my table top Q into a baking machine. Finally found the right sizes on line at bed bath and beyond.. Will post up results soon.  
    Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    Ooooooo Food Pr0n! Love it. I can show pictures to my sister and ask if she can make it lol.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I need some good desert recipies like baked apples, peaches, etc - Foil wrapped stuff maybe.
    Gotta see pics to.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    I need some good desert recipies like baked apples, peaches, etc - Foil wrapped stuff maybe.
    Gotta see pics to.
    There tons for pie irons.