Options

Baking With The Q

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Cool - Progress reports :-)
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Ron, I waited all snowy icy winter here for them to go on sale. Nope, didn't happen or I missed it, darn it all!

LauraRey, what about those smaller square pans with a small lip and holes for grilling small items? You could cover it with foil for a baking sheet. You can also buy the premade dough cookies with a bunny or a chick and egg in colored dough. Pillsbury I think, usually somewhere around the butter/canned muffin dough section. Sounds like fun to me!
    (I've got to get a grill!)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,451
    We've done a little baking with our smaller model Q. PXL is correct about the standard pans being too big. Our current set-up involves a sheet of foil over the grill, topped with a small "air-bake" sheet propped up a half-inch or so on small stones or other suitable legs. This has worked well for scones and muffins, and seems shield enough of the direct heat to prevent burning. Since the Q doesn't do low temps real well, not over-cooking the bottoms of goodies has been the biggest challenge. Have fun experimenting and let us know what you come up with!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Yep - Gotta keep the heat off the bottoms of your muffins.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    PXL and you are surprised because...? But it was your thread, so its input, not hijacking, correct? ;-)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    No Homie... I am personally jealous because of all the goodies he posts. I can't even get those goodies to look that good coming out of a house oven!!

Yes, yes Homebody, we are recruiting PG-rated thread hijackers (the secret handshake will be given at your initiation ceremony - we even have a secret T@B university badge). :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    edited March 2017
    I tried baking in the Q tonight.  One attempt was a bit burned on the bottom, but the other experiment turned out pretty good.  The first image is the finished product, the second is the bottom of the cake.  I was curious how "done" it was.  The third is the top of the cake.

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    Just a little crispy looking, unless the camera is lying. Still looks yummy!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Just a little crispy looking, unless the camera is lying. Still looks yummy!
    Actually, it wasn't burnt, but perhaps a shade darker than I would have liked.  I frosted it with homemade Raspberry Butter Cream frosting. 
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
  • Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    PXL, you mentioned that you found better baking sheets at Target but I am having difficulty locating them. Can you describe them and what department they were found in?  Thanks
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    Carolyn - Actually, it's the pans I switched out not the deflector sheets. I switched to heavy duty aluminum. They seem to heat more evenly. Found the first one at Target but discovered some Walmarts have them. I have three sizes now, one from Target, one from Walmart and one from Amazon - Think they're all Nordic Ware...

Am going to switch out the sheets also. I ordered them but didn't realize the sheet size we are accustom to are called quarter sheets. The ones I got are half sheets and way too big to fit so need to reorder.
  • Options
    Success!  The cake came out perfect.  The photo without frosting is the bottom of the cake.  Used a half-size cast iron griddle and a wok holder to boost the pan off the burner.
  • Options
    NICE!!
  • Options
    Cool, way to go - Almost bought a griddle thingy today, wish I had. Tw'd do double duty, pancakes and cakes :-)
  • Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    I'm intrigued by the use of the wok ring. I used to always take my wok camping but it won't work on the small T@B stove - but hummm maybe some variation on the BBQ?? 
    Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    Not sure you could get the high temps needed for a wok cooking on the grill. My brother does a lot of oriental cooking and just replaced his stove with a new high btu model.
  • Options

PXLated said:

Cool, way to go - Almost bought a griddle thingy today, wish I had. Tw'd do double duty, pancakes and cakes :-)

I bought two, but then read the first line of the manual which says not to put both griddles on at once.
  • Options

jschemel said:

I'm intrigued by the use of the wok ring. I used to always take my wok camping but it won't work on the small T@B stove - but hummm maybe some variation on the BBQ?? 

I was just looking for something to get the pan up off the griddle.
  • Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    we often like a big bowl of stir fry veggies - may be worth a try. I use a med size pan and it uses both burners on stove. 
    But using the ring to get baking pan off the griddle slas has possibilites. I have all the pieces parts recommended by PXLated and am looking forward to cooking stuff. 

Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    LauraRey, That cake looks REALLY good! Congrats, and enjoy. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    edited April 2017
    jschemel said:

we often like a big bowl of stir fry veggies 

That's a good idea!  Now I may have to add our little wok to the trailer supplied. :)
  • Options
    PXL, I started a "new rule" for ours. Every time we "add" something, we have to let go of something else. Makes the "need" and "want" categories a lot further apart! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options

PXLated said:

"I may have to add" <- The most dangerous words in T@Bland. It leads to bigger TVs and roofrack cargo carriers :-)

Yeah, that's why if I add something, I push myself to remove something.  I'm trying to stay pretty minimalist.  I like the Q because it means I don't take my coleman stove, single-burners, and cast iron pan.  I had a lot of camping gear left from tent camping.  Putting a lot of it up on varagesale and kijiji.   
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,451
    This inspired me to pull the trigger on the Q griddle--looks like it can do double duty as a heat shield for baking.

Eric, I like your "rule"--I'm almost convinced the air conditioner is headed down the pike this season. Just think of what can get stuffed in the new cabinet!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    But, but...ScottG, it's supposed to be a one for one rule, not get rid of one & add 10! :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Gotta get me that griddle - Looks like it might work better than my two cookie sheets.
  • Options
    Ok, back to cooking - Show us your stuff :-)
  • Options
    The Q was awesome on our trip.

• Options
    I baked an apple pie this trip.  I made a half pie and then had dessert for two days.  The Q rocked.