Options

tent and visor foldup

Finally getting the tent put away after letting it dry and air out from tearstock, tell me all of you who have the tent and even the awning how do you put it away? Do you try to fold/roll it up in some semblance of order of just stuff it in the "stuff sack" With our backpacking tent we were almost OCD about folding it up a certain way and after spending much time trying to do it neatly, there has to be a better way!
Ron & Abbie-Ashland,Ky 2005DM CS towed by 2014 Venza

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I folded my awning until it was about the size of nylon bag, and gently slipped it in the nylon bag. I then slipped the nylon tent pole bag in the larger bag so I won't get it confused with the tent or visor pole bags. 

If you need to take care of yours in a different way, go ahead. Only you know how you want yours to be handled. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    We lay the awning flat, fold it roughly in thirds, then roll it so the rail cord coils around semi-evenly. As long as it's tight enough to go in the sack, we don't fuss too much. I don't think the awning really cares...
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    argemargem Member Posts: 17
    actually i was more interested in the tent stow away. The awning was messy but doable.
    Ron & Abbie-Ashland,Ky 2005DM CS towed by 2014 Venza
  • Options
    Can't help you there--I got a T@B precisely so I could stop fussing with tents.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    argem, Liz and I fold ours first length-wise to the approximate length of the bag, then fold both ends to the middle, then in half again. Seems to work rather well, but as Verna so aptly stated, only you know how suits you best. When you figure out how to open the bag and have it automatically set up, please post it for the rest of us! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    I will second you on that ericnliz!! :)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
     =) 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    I take the stuff sack approach for our awning, after an attempt to fold. Laying it on the ground to fold and keep it clean seemed harder than just stuffing it in the sack it comes in, being careful to brush away twigs or dirt as it went into the bag. It fit perfectly in 'stuff mode.' 
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 935
    A fellow I knew that designed for a major tent manufacturer once told me that folding a tent the same way each time you pack it is similar to folding a piece of paper the same way over and over.  The folds are stress and lead to failures on those lines long term.  Stuffing was the recommended method for packing.
    That said, we pack our original T@B awning similar to ericnliz.  Although it seems to go a little differently each time, as long as it fits in the bag, success!
    Have Fun!
    Bob

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    rfuss928 said:
    A fellow I knew that designed for a major tent manufacturer once told me that folding a tent the same way each time you pack it is similar to folding a piece of paper the same way over and over.  The folds are stress and lead to failures on those lines long term.  Stuffing was the recommended method for packing.
    That said, we pack our original T@B awning similar to ericnliz.  Although it seems to go a little differently each time, as long as it fits in the bag, success!
    Have Fun!
    Bob
    I was told the same thing decades ago. Also have seen people's long term gear that have been folded over and over. I agree with the "stuff" technique. YMMV. Probably not as contentious as the coffee opinions, but probably "to each his own" sorta thing! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Sorry about the double post.  Campground wifi is flakey.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @rfuss928, it happens, and I made it disappear ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I am not religious about it buy I prefer to stuff my tent and visor for the reason stated above.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    Wait--I'm changing my vote! I just tried it, and stuffing is definitely less fuss than any combination of folding and rolling! To satisfy my AR, I did start by quickly looping the keder cord onto itself (like you might do with a boat sail). This keeps the cord contained and makes the awning into a long twisted tube of sorts that stuffs into the bag in a matter of seconds. Might work for the tent, too.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    What about rolling it using a pool noodle- no creases and may slide into the bag easily.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @SAM, great idea! The bags that came with mine are way too big. Sometimes, my XLVisor is a wee damp, so I just sorta lay it on the top of it's bin to air out some (under tonneau cover prior to getting the bed cap). 

Does anyone have a magic formula to get leaf imprints and stains out of the nylon fabric? It's only on the top side, so it's not like anyone can see them. My OCD wants it perfect, however (hides labeler and backup labeler).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I wish the bag that came with my awning was bigger. That's the main reason I like the stuffing idea--I had a hard time rolling it tight enough to fit without a pool noodle!

As for leaf imprints and other natural decorations, you need to balance your OCD with a healthy dose of laziness. That's the only way I can keep my cleaning and polishing impulses in check!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    While we are talking about awnings... When we first opened ours we took one look at the supplied tent pegs and just shook our heads. Those plastic ones just do not cut it here in our rocky northeast campgrounds. We immediately replaced those with the Coleman metal spike pegs we've used tent camping. 

You will want to put them in a sturdy bag to protect the awning from the sharp points. I made a nylon ditty bag since a stake bag was not supplied with the awning.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options

SAM said:
    What about rolling it using a pool noodle- no creases and may slide into the bag easily.
    We roll ours around the pole bag - why take an extra thing?
  • Options
    Photomom - you may want to check out my post "A better tent stake".  You won't find me pounding or tugging a tent stake anymore.

• Options
    rfuss928 said:
    Photomom - you may want to check out my post "A better tent stake".  You won't find me pounding or tugging a tent stake anymore.
    Nice! we don't carry a drill, but if we do at some point this would be a nice upgrade. Be interesting to see how it does in, say, Vermont or New Hampshire!

I really like that they will be flush to the ground when holding the mat down. 
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241

For our mat stakes away from the T@B, we use cheap solar lights. They have a stake you can pound in and the post with light slides on top of the stake.

'17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Photomom said:
    rfuss928 said:
    Nice! we don't carry a drill, but if we do at some point this would be a nice upgrade. Be interesting to see how it does in, say, Vermont or New Hampshire!

I really like that they will be flush to the ground when holding the mat down. 
    If you can get those big spikes to go in, the screws will have no problem.   I used those very same spikes before switching to the screws.  The plastic clips often broke and that is where I first used washers and hooks as a repair.

Maybe this discussion belongs in the "tent stake"  post ?!

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    With any of these pieces of gear I'm meticulous about caring for it and this applies to the folding/drying out process as well.  I always fold my tarps, tents and gear into "thirds" if you will and will fold each side into the center of the piece being folded up.  I inspect the item, clean off any dirt/bird droppings/tree sap, etc., dry it completely before stroring it and actually had to take my visor and wash it with mild Palmolive dish soap to remove the sticky tree sap from the maple trees and let it dry out after my last trip up to Northern Michigan.  I used a soft bristle brush on the end of an extendable paint pole and was able to work the soap around and spray it off nicely with a hose, then dried it out completely before folding/stroring it in the bag.  

It also depends (and as noted previously) on the size of the storage bag.  By noting the size and with the Keder rope edge sewn into these items I fold the gear in accordance to the size of the storage bag and roll it up, removing the air as I go and ensuring there is no sand or grit in the piece being stored.  I do my best to remove all air and allow for easy placement into the storage bag and normally tuck the fiberglass poles in after this is done.  I know that we are all different and would agree, try out each suggestion and do what works best for you.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited August 2016
    I fold my visor and my awning roughly in thirds and roll them around the poles and/or pole bag. then put them in their bag. If damp when packing up, I drape them out in the garage when arriving home. I have many, many of those nail stakes. They go in a separate bin of "stuff" that rides in the truck on every trip. (Extension cords, stakes, rubber mallet, power strips, bungy cords, twinkle lights, etc.)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL