Options

What do you consider to be your "Most Valuable" trailer mod?

Comments

• Options
    duckblind123duckblind123 Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2017
    Ratkity said:
    The on/off LED switch for the Jensen stereo and fixing a speaker that was cutting in and out at the same time (loose connector next to the Jensen. Adding the spare tire mount (mine got put on the Yakima rack). Heater vents (2015 didn't have those on the back shelf) and finally, the digital Alde panel (now standard).
    One of my speakers (passenger side) has started cutting in/out. I've had the T@B just over a year, so the warranty is now over. I am fairly handy with electronics (when I can get access to the component wiring). Just curious how you gained access to the rear of your Jensen stereo? Or access to the rear of the speakers?

Marc & Janet
    2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

• Options
    SnapDogSnapDog Member Posts: 53
    @duckblind123  - the speaker covers come off by turning counter clockwise, then two screws to remove the speaker. The Jensen has four screws, one each corner at the front. At least this is how it works for our 2017 Outback.

Sn@pDog, 2017 Outback, Silver w/black trim
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    A close second
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    @Dalehelman where did you get those baskets?  Did you have to modify them?  And how are they attached?
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    Purchased plastic baskets at Hobby Lobby cut them in half. Mounted per pictures.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    One of my speakers (passenger side) has started cutting in/out. I've had the T@B just over a year, so the warranty is now over. I am fairly handy with electronics (when I can get access to the component wiring). Just curious how you gained access to the rear of your Jensen stereo? Or access to the rear of the speakers?

Marc & Janet

• Options
    SnapDog said:
    @duckblind123  - the speaker covers come off by turning counter clockwise, then two screws to remove the speaker. The Jensen has four screws, one each corner at the front. At least this is how it works for our 2017 Outback.

Thanks! Speaker cover came off just as you mentioned. I'll plan the wire tracking this next weekend as no trips are scheduled. Thanks again!

Marc & Janet

• Options
    tabienolatabienola Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2017
    Pros and cons of drilling a new side a/c exhaust vs enlarging the unused battery fume vent, yes the battery has been removed. 
  • Options
    DptritDptrit Member Posts: 18
    rfuss928 said:
    I think it is the tongue box.  The DM clamshell did not come with the plastic propane bottle cover included on other models because of lack of space on the tongue.  Careful measurements and selection of available boxes let me add a completely closed container on the front of the trailer. 

In this box I carry:
    10# and 5# LPG bottles and regulator
    BAL Leveler
    30A - 30ft electrical cord
    30ft hose
    4 wheel chocks
    4 stabilizer pads
    Hitch lock
    Power drill and socket extension for stabilizers
    Rubber mallet
    Misc. electrical adapters
    Charcoal lighter
    Trailer hitch alignment aids
    A few other small items
    And it holds my spare tire mount!

I can completely set up and connect when I get to my campsite without ever opening the trailer.

Probably a very close second is the solar panels on the roof.  I have had virtually no battery charge issues since the installation and they require no attention.  They are always on and maintaining the batteries regardless of when or where we are.

Have fun!
    Bob
    Fruss928 -Bob, do you know what your tongue weight is with that Tongue box addition? It looks/works great but I have a 200lb tongue weight limit. Nice work!
  • Options
    Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    rfuss928, those solar panels look wonderful. Can you give us some info about them:  price, supplier and if you installed yourself.  Thank you.
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72

For me, my most valuable mod is a three way tie:

Bike rack installation

Sewer hose carrier installation

Combining black and gray valves

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    edited June 2017
    @rfuss928 that tongue box is awesome........everything you need for set up right there Great set up!
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Without a doubt.
    @Dalehelman Can the grey water valve be mounted so that it pulls from the side opposed to pulling it up?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    dsatwork said:
    Without a doubt.
    @Dalehelman Can the grey water valve be mounted so that it pulls from the side opposed to pulling it up?
    Yes no problem.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    rfuss928, those solar panels look wonderful. Can you give us some info about them:  price, supplier and if you installed yourself.  Thank you.
    The solar panels are UniSolar ePVL-68. 
    The company went out of business in 2012
    Occasionally some NOS come up for sale.

There is a brief photographic description of the installation on the Yahoo T@B forum:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/tabtrailers/photos/albums/2085694046

• Options
    Dptrit said:
    Bob, do you know what your tongue weight is with that Tongue box addition? It looks/works great but I have a 200lb tongue weight limit. Nice work!
    I added about 80# at the box location including the spare tire compared to the stock steel LPG tank alone.   This results in about 50# additional at the hitch ball.
    Tongue weight is greatly effected by how you load your trailer.
    The tongue weight stated for your trailer is measured with the trailer empty, as delivered.  It is very unlikely to be the same with full tanks, equipped kitchen and all the rest of your stuff on board.
    If your TV is near its limit you should check your tongue weight just before you hook up to head out.  Items can be moved forward or back to shift the weight. Generally, 10-20% of the total trailer weight is recommended for towing stability.

• Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Ratkity said:
    The on/off LED switch for the Jensen stereo and fixing a speaker that was cutting in and out at the same time (loose connector next to the Jensen. Adding the spare tire mount (mine got put on the Yakima rack). Heater vents (2015 didn't have those on the back shelf) and finally, the digital Alde panel (now standard).

Ok, this I need to know.

do you kill the complet unit or just the led light?  And if only the led light, how did you do it??

this is one of the only negative of our t@g.

thank you in advance!
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited June 2017
    The LED is only on when the unit is on. It turns off when the unit turned off. Turning off the unit also resets the time, but I have a regular clock on the wall. The switch easy to install - just two wires. A regular on/off switch without LED is just fine because you can tell if the unit is off since the lit front is blanked out.

There are 4 screws in the corner. They are the larger square head (name for them escapes me). Figure out where you are to put the switch. Drill hole (size is on switch directions). With the LED switch, you'll tap into the ground wire (labeled on Jensen) and you'll have to cut the power wire (labeled on Jensen), putting male flat connectors on either end of the power line. Make sure you leave enough wire to pull through the switch hole. The switch just pops into the hole you drilled. Careful of the veneer splintering when you drill the hole. I think using painters tape over the area will help prevent it (Verna, is that true?). With a simple switch, you just cut the power wire, add the male connectors to the switch and pop into the switch hole you made. Much easier to install.

Don't forget to screw the Jensen unit back with the 4 screws LOL. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Dptrit said:
    rfuss928 said:
    I think it is the tongue box.  The DM clamshell did not come with the plastic propane bottle cover included on other models because of lack of space on the tongue.  Careful measurements and selection of available boxes let me add a completely closed container on the front of the trailer. 

In this box I carry:
    10# and 5# LPG bottles and regulator
    BAL Leveler
    30A - 30ft electrical cord
    30ft hose
    4 wheel chocks
    4 stabilizer pads
    Hitch lock
    Power drill and socket extension for stabilizers
    Rubber mallet
    Misc. electrical adapters
    Charcoal lighter
    Trailer hitch alignment aids
    A few other small items
    And it holds my spare tire mount!

I can completely set up and connect when I get to my campsite without ever opening the trailer.

Probably a very close second is the solar panels on the roof.  I have had virtually no battery charge issues since the installation and they require no attention.  They are always on and maintaining the batteries regardless of when or where we are.

Have fun!
    Bob
    Fruss928 -Bob, do you know what your tongue weight is with that Tongue box addition? It looks/works great but I have a 200lb tongue weight limit. Nice work!
    This is very nice, thinking about changing the box on my T@b outback for a more square type one.  But it was my understanding that propane container could not be kept in a close container, more specificaly on a RV.

but I could be wrong.  Would be worth a little search.

is so. Box could be kept, but with some opening.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I put a diamond box on my tab and knew the same thing about venting. Propane needed venting as well as the battery. Even though there was a lock for it, it remained unlocked as per regulations. I cut a hole in the back of the box almost as wide as the original bin. I used decorative grating to make sure nothing escaped out the hole on either side. One caveat about putting a big hole in the back of a diamond box with a hydraulic support.... a vertical support needs to be added to the center of the hole. It wasn't a big deal to do it. In the end it looked good :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @dsatwork, When @Dalehelman did mine, he mounted the handle for the gray valve pointing towards the front on the trailer. Works great! Best mod yet to date!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Luckyj said:
    This is very nice, thinking about changing the box on my T@b outback for a more square type one.  But it was my understanding that propane container could not be kept in a close container, more specificaly on a RV.

but I could be wrong.  Would be worth a little search.

is so. Box could be kept, but with some opening.
    I installed "soffit vents" in an upper and lower corner of the back of the box.

CMI 45-in L Silver Aluminum Soffit Vent

• Options
    Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    rfuss928, love your map.  California has wonderful camping.  Hope you can get there some time.  We are newbies, 11 nights out and 1500 miles and we love it!! 
    Thank you for info on your solar panels.  Pity they are no longer made, such a good idea.
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    dsatwork said:
    Without a doubt.

I actually had the gray valve mounted up the first time I did my mod. It was really close to the tub.

The second time I did my mod, I changed it to pull from the front. And like it better.

BTW, I did this twice because I glued before planning ahead. doh!

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    @Luckyj I have AGM batteries inside mine diamond plate box, so I didn't have to worry about venting for the battery. I cut 6 2" holes spaced across the bottom of the tank so the propain has a way to escape. I also drilled a 1/2" hole in the center of the box for drainage. I also drilled a 2" hole in the middle of the back to run the propane hose and battery wires from the cutoff switch to the junction box on the trailer. 

Tongue Box Complete with Spare Tire and LowPro Generator locking platform

Fully stocked tongue box

/tongue box with gen mounted and hose storage

Tongue box holes for propane venting holes have protective 

Edge Trim Black Small, 1/8" Fits Edge 

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
    dsatwork said:
    @Luckyj I have AGM batteries inside mine diamond plate box, so I didn't have to worry about venting for the battery. I cut 6 2" holes spaced across the bottom of the tank so the propain has a way to escape. I also drilled a 1/2" hole in the center of the box for drainage. I also drilled a 2" hole in the middle of the back to run the propane hose and battery wires from the cutoff switch to the junction box on the trailer. 

Do you have a link to where you got your box?! Very nice! 

Do you have grommets in the wholes where the wires are running?
  • Options
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Switch to shut radio completely off when
     on battery. 

Wiring behind radio. Not much there because I don't have the entertainment center. 

Switch spliced in with twist caps. 

Push button switch in adjacent cupboard. 

Radio on. 

Radio off, almost. 

Radio off off. 

T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    Roamey said:
    Switch to shut radio completely off when
     on battery. 

Wiring behind radio. Not much there because I don't have the entertainment center. 

Switch spliced in with twist caps. 

Push button switch in adjacent cupboard. 

Radio on. 

Radio off, almost. 

Radio off off. 

Doesn't the + and - switches to the left of clock readout adjust the brightness including turning it completely black?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun