Options

What do you consider to be your "Most Valuable" trailer mod?

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Ratkity said:
    TerryV6 said:
    I haven't seen any comments about having an exterior door added to access stuff under the bench.  I know some people had it done at the previous gatherings by the company.  We rarely lift the back up inside, preferring leaving our twin beds set up .  I was thinking it could be used for quick access.  I saw some listed for 40 bucks but I'd have figure out how to get it installed.  

Mouseketab did that, but she has an older (maybe Dutchman) model. I might add a very well-loved and blue-mousie model! <3 I think it accessed the area under the bed (no Alde if memory serves me right). 
    Yes, I did. I was chicken. I took it to a local dealer and had them cut a hole in my T@B. and yes, no Alde.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    RaschkoRaschko Member Posts: 22
    Bed slats and inside led bug zapper.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
     @TAB320CS_14141 That’s one beautiful table top! May I ask how you configure the T@B to sleep?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    TAB320CS_14141TAB320CS_14141 Member Posts: 6
    Table lies flat where slats used to go. Legs store in under bench storage.
    2017 T@B 320 CS towed with 2010 Honda Odyssey
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    For me on my Tab 400 it was stiffening the unadjustable Froli springs on my bed with help from Froli USA and adding a memory foam topper, the wireless backup camera and led reversing lamps.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Adding the Purpleline trailer mover, no question. Second most useful was a grab bar in the wet bath, makes it so much easier to get in and out of the tiny bath on the 320.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited February 2020
    The grab handle in the wet bath is definitely near the top of our list too, not only for getting in/out of the bathroom, but for getting up/down from sitting/standing position.

However, we also rely most on our bluetooth leveler, as well as Dale Helman's drill-drive bolt idea for the tongue jack, plus his leveling jacks (reinforced) that can lift a wheel off the ground if needed.  Downsizing our table is a big one too, as is the wire shelf across the back, & the fan speed control.  My list of mods has grown to 84 in the last 2.5 yrs, so there are many we depend on, and it's hard to choose just one or even a few to call most valuable.

And it can change too..  If we are boondocking, then having a solar panel, charge controller, battery monitor & a larger golf cart battery become most valuable.

The one that gives me the most simple pleasure (as opposed to valuable for making a task easier) is having an old fashioned bottle opener mounted on the inside door handle (with a trashcan mounted under it) for use both inside & out - always there for one-handed operation & no having to get out my Swiss Army knife.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Hoogie69Hoogie69 Member Posts: 31
    Sooo, I’ve searched the forums but haven’t seen anything regarding swapping out the bathroom door in a T@B 400 (a 2022, in my case) with an accordion style door.  We travel with our 81 lb. Australian Cobberdog and I’m looking to reduce the door incursion into the walking area in front of the stove/refrigerator.  He tends to settle down in the middle of the walkway making it a pain to move him to get into the head.  Has anyone done this? How did you do it and what door did you use?

2022 T@B 400 BD, with 2-way refrigerator and AllPro Awning
    TV is a 2021 Honda Passport Elite w/ transmission cooler and Redarc Liberty Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    Custom mahogany/ stainless steel rack: 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    bubbazanettibubbazanetti Member Posts: 23
    I’d love to hear and learn more about this! Weight distribution etc. Attractive design! Looks almost nautical! 
    Kootenays, British Columbia
    2015 Little Guy T@b, TV - 07 Honda Ridgeline

"Good friends beware! the only life we knows Flies from us like an arrow from the bow, the Caravan of life is moving by, Quick! to your places in the passing show.” 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    edited January 2023
    @YanniLazarus yours looks so much better than mine, but I agree, our rack is on the top of our most valuable mods.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    I’d love to hear and learn more about this! Weight distribution etc. Attractive design! Looks almost nautical! 
    Definitely the hardest mod for me to date, but I do love it. I'd be happy to share my template and the details. Only the two outer mahogany rails bear on the roof - and spread the load evenly on 3 aluminum framing members. The other mahogany rails are just stiffeners.  I'd put two 6v agm batteries in the front tub and was looking for a way to reduce tongue weight. All the fasteners are hidden behind the speakers. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    bubbazanettibubbazanetti Member Posts: 23
    I’m going to give it some thought, and very much appreciate your offer to assist. The reality is that my capenterFu is not amazing! 

BTW. AGM batteries are very heavy as you know. Lithium are much lighter but pricy. I just saw a review of this amazing 100ah. Excellent price - below $400 and some wonderful features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Jqb38qPcM
    Kootenays, British Columbia
    2015 Little Guy T@b, TV - 07 Honda Ridgeline

"Good friends beware! the only life we knows Flies from us like an arrow from the bow, the Caravan of life is moving by, Quick! to your places in the passing show.” 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 983
    The first mod we did was just a few days before we actually got the trailer! I sold this to my wife as a trailer mod since it can be attached to the trailer! It's for safety and comfort!  She agreed.  But I'd have to say the most valuable real mod we have done to our 400 was the Victron Smart Shunt.  But the truck looks better than a smart shunt. 

2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    Moved the spare tire from underneath the rear of the trailer to the tongue jack.  The factory location resulted in it scraping our lawn when pulling out and backing into our side yard parking location.  It also put a bit more weight on the tongue for better towing behavior.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    gandegande Member Posts: 91
    We’ve made various modifications to our 2018 T@b400 but my wife thinks this is the one she considers most useful:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8297/improved-drawer-storage#latest 
    gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    There have been several similar drawer mods described here.  Great mod @gande
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 372
    edited January 2023
    Hi, 

This hinged rear seat mod has been around for a while, but I never have seen it on the newer TABs with the split rear seats. I'm sure its been done.  Reposting for those not aware.  

Allows for front and easier access to rear under seat storage.  Raise back support works in all positions.

I also did not weld the pieces as others have.  I used T-huts and short 1/2 inch flat head screws.  I  have not done it yet, but I plan to loc tite the screws.  If you look up the mod, the dimensions for the longer flat metal support is not correct (at least for my 2021).  Some of the other mods of the same kind also discuss the need to carve out some of the wood on the bottom of the seat.  I made no changes to the OEM hinge or seat.  Just bolted everything together and it works great.  The only tools I used was a hack saw to cut the flat metal bar to length and a drill for the holes.

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    Kevin_KKevin_K Member Posts: 28
    We have a memory foam mattress on our bed, but my wife was tired of having to use her head to keep the storage lid open to get stuff out of the area. So I put a 3/4 inch copper pipe over the strut to use as a brace. Just need to slide back over the body for the lid to go back down.
    2021 Tab400 boondock, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    Kevin_K said:
    We have a memory foam mattress on our bed, but my wife was tired of having to use her head to keep the storage lid open to get stuff out of the area. So I put a 3/4 inch copper pipe over the strut to use as a brace. Just need to slide back over the body for the lid to go back down.
    I thought the strut was supposed to hold the lid open?

• Options
    Kevin_KKevin_K Member Posts: 28
    Not when you have extra weight on it, or it fails.
    2021 Tab400 boondock, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    replacement of the side seat cushion with a firmer higher quality foam. This took away the dip experience 
  • Options
    hammerstonehammerstone Member Posts: 14
    Replacing the factory table with the Lagun table.
  • Options
    vshumatevshumate Member Posts: 6
    Yoshi_TAB said:
    Hi, 

This hinged rear seat mod has been around for a while, but I never have seen it on the newer TABs with the split rear seats. I'm sure its been done.  Reposting for those not aware.  

Allows for front and easier access to rear under seat storage.  Raise back support works in all positions.

I also did not weld the pieces as others have.  I used T-huts and short 1/2 inch flat head screws.  I  have not done it yet, but I plan to loc tite the screws.  If you look up the mod, the dimensions for the longer flat metal support is not correct (at least for my 2021).  Some of the other mods of the same kind also discuss the need to carve out some of the wood on the bottom of the seat.  I made no changes to the OEM hinge or seat.  Just bolted everything together and it works great.  The only tools I used was a hack saw to cut the flat metal bar to length and a drill for the holes.

Is it necessary to use metal piece?  Couldn't say hard plastic be used?  In my mind there is not much pressure put on those metal pieces in either position.  Thanks
  • Options
    sportcoupesportcoupe Member Posts: 28
    Yoshi_TAB said:
    Hi, 

Where can I find more info on the TAB 320 rear seat hinge mod? I have the newer split seat (2023 TAB 320 BD).
    2023 T@B 320 S BD,
    TV: 2023 Ford Bronco 2.7L Wildtrak 4x4, Tow Package, Ford Brake Controller
    Georgia
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    "Most valuable" should imply a monetary gain. All of my mods have cost me money. Some more than others. =)
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 81
    edited January 6
    Hands down: Quattro Trailer Mover.  I am 78 years old and can park/store my 400 with no assistance. 
    2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    “Most Valuable” if you’re talking heat gain:

2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX