Options

New 400 Model T@B?

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited September 2016
    We knew that - Windows till death :-)
    But, in the camper arena, the T@B is about the closet thing to the Apple design philosophy there is so, welcome to the Apple fold Jenn :-)
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Maybe Android too

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    We knew that - Windows till death :-)
    But, in the camper arena, the T@B is about the closet thing to the Apple design philosophy there is so, welcome to the Apple fold Jenn :-)

Nah, the T@b isn't dated and overpriced. =)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Gotta come up with something better than that old saw Jenn - talk about dated :-)
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2016
    Photomom said:  Our Highlander is rated for 5000 pounds but I wouldn't be comfortable towing a larger trailer with it. Given the MPG drop we see, the engine is working HARD when towing. 4Runners are also rated 5000 pounds so we'd have to go to a Sequoia. Since we have only 3 years on our current vehicle, that's not gonna happen any time soon.

I would feel very comfortable pulling this 2,500 lb trailer with my 2016 Toyota 4 Runner.  I have plenty of power and my fuel consumption has only taken a 1-2 mpg drop when towing.  Also my 4 Runner has a 4L V6 270hp and 278 lb torque, more then the older 4 Runners and Highlanders.  I have to remind myself I'm towing something. 
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    Question on the interior height, original rumors were that while the 400 would have more interior height, a six foot person was still not going to stand up in it.  Based on the prototype is there actually an additional 1 foot of standing room (which would be a huge increase) or is that an additional foot on the exterior?
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    boo said:
    T@B 400
    Price range in US dollars?????
    I don't think there are details, yet. We should do a poll of what we think it will cost.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited September 2016
    I didn't measure the height, but it is definitely taller than the T@B 320. The T@B 400 is now 8' tall outside. If you can measure your T@B 320, you can figure out the difference.  But, yes, it is definitely taller inside than the T@B320. The shower is supposed to be 6'5". 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Boo, there has been no official discussions about price. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    lapowers57, I AM 6' tall, and can almost stand straight up in the T@B MAX S we have. The bathroom is about the only challenging spot in the trailer for me. The new T@B 400 has the bathroom more centrally located which I felt was a REALLY good move as it is now located in one of the highest spots, rather than the lowest.
    Verna, 'ya think they could make a skylight above the current T@B 320 head for those of us that are NOT vertically challenged? =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    There's stools to reach higher. To reach lower all you tall people have to bend way, way, way, way down - Now that''s vertically challenged :-)
  • Options
    PXL, 'Ya just had to play the bending over card, huh? Besides, I try not to keep all my belongings on the floor so I don't have to bend over! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Just a side note for 'ya PXL, it's NOT the bending over part that's tough, it's the standing back up part that's a challenge! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    LannetteLannette Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2016
    Having seen the European 400 we were eagerly awaiting the USA version. Having seen the prototype we're underwhelmed. So many different clashing colors and design elements. The square trim around round Windows. The plastic lined door. Everything the original t@b is, the 400 prototype isn't. That said, I'm not excited over the Airstream Sport and Basecamp decor either.
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    @Lanette, my sentiment exactly. The 400 prototype is a strange, unlikeable hybrid between the sleek European 400L and the cute warm American T@B. It misses the mark of both "parent" styles.
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Ditto Lanette.  The 400 interior is very similar to the Sirrus truck camper I saw when I picked up my TAB last year.  Too many divergent surfaces, colors and textures.  But, I'm old and lack a sense of current style.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    They need to simplify, simplify, simplify.
    Make it "classic" or you'll be chashing current "style" all day long. Year after year.
    That's something big comapanies (Fortune 500s) know and most small companies don't.
    Clean and simple - KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid
  • Options
    Agree w PXLated. My TAB has a warm, homey feel to it. Light wood cabinets, grey seat cushions, countertop and frig facia. Very soothing and pleasing to the eye and touch.  I counted five different colors/textures on one of the posted interior shots of the 400.
  • Options
    I am not sure if they use interior designers (not decorators, designers) but if they don't, they should. I felt like there was also too much going on in terms of colors inside. The bathroom, for example, has the black shower thing, the Alde cover, the white plastic, and then the wood. Too many different things in too small of a space.

• Options
    Good point Jenn. Notice the four different colors for the vitals monitoring area? This is Ok if you only charge $15,000.  Not OK if you want the consumer to pay $30,000.  But again, kudos for PV showing this prototype before production. I never saw any request for consumer input on the Sirrus truck camper.
  • Options
    I really hope PV enlists some of our forum members for imput.  Pit patty has the most homey interior I've seen. Verna has more stuff organized and immediately accessible than FEMA, Plxlated brings simplicity to an art form. Pop-tab is a mechanical genius. PV should get these people in a room to fine tune the prototype. 
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Looks like they are trying to use as many Cirrus parts as they can (which may account for the fish mash).  But agree that they need to pick a "look" and be consistent.  Birch, gray, black, etc.  seem kind of random and contrasting.  If I were them, I would consider birch with minor contrast colors that fit into they overall theme.  When I look at other campers, I see cheapness, both in materials and implementation.  

Not sure what I think of Cirrus but would suggest a consistent approach (either "euro" of the cirrus or other approach.  I think the t@b's currently are generally well designed (good quality and consistency of finish).  

On the decal, the newest German T@B's have shifted from the plastic panels in the window area to a decal (the shape of the decal is similar to the German version).  I'm not fond of it on the German version, so remain ambivalent about their prototype.  If I were them, I'd develop a materials and color palette and draw from it at each step... it would lead to a more consistent finish.  If they feel they need to move to the Euro wall finish, they should create a palette and hold to it for finalizing the interior (even if it is not birch craftsman style.)
  • Options
    And Jenn for her National parks interior motif and Chris K for his 3-D printing skill. So many of us love our TAB's and want others to share the experience in their 400.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I'm with the "I like my 320 as it is" crowd and agree that the mishmash of colors and textures in the 400 in its current state is distracting (and would drive me nuts). The neutral Sofitel interior that I fell in love with when it first came out, still works for me.  Hmm, so, if they did a Sofitel 400, I guess I might have to re-assess. ;)
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    I agree whole heartedly  with mash2. Clashing color combinations, and textures don't make for good aesthetics. The 400 looks like they took the interior from the Cirrus camper, and put a slightly different shell on it with tires, wheels, a trailer frame, and a hitch. There are some really good things incorporated in the 400, just need to streamline them, and get a more pleasant visual palette going on. If they're going for contrasts, perhaps the birch finish with maple trim would be an idea, but subtle, not so it shocks you when you look at it. I guess we'll see what they come up with for the end result, I just hope they remain open to in-put and suggestions from the folks here that actually use them, and remember the product they're putting out there is for enjoyment, and relaxation.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    LannetteLannette Member Posts: 19
    I hadn't previously seen the Cirrus camper but my immediate reaction to the 400 prototype is that they had grabbed a bunch of stuff from left over camper parts and threw it, willy nilly, into the prototype. Why not base it on the proven to please 320? If it ain't broke why fix it? Rushing a poorly fitted prototype to release seems out of sync for the PV folks. 
  • Options
    While there is room for improvement, I wouldn't call it "willy nilly" and a prototype often uses some design that the creators know will not be a part of the final version. Overall, this is a tremendous start on a very complicated project.

That being said, as much as I love all of the storage, I am not sold on a bigger T@b, yet. I really love the utilitarian approach to the prototype and I hope they actually incorporate some of the storage ideas into the 320 models, as well.

• Options
    Not sure about using things in a prototype one knows will not be included - Defeats the purpose.
    Will be interesting to see what the next prototype is like.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I don't know that they are rushing this thing considering this is just the first of several prototypes. 

Thinking out loud a little, I can't help but wonder if the mixture of colors and textures was done on purpose, to see what looks good, and what doesn't, so that the second prototype would have a more uniform approach.  And they put it out there fairly quickly for folks to look at, including lots of interior shots and video, with them asking for feedback.  Scott Hubble even commented yesterday that they are taking everything into consideration, so that is why I am thinking it is purposely done.

There is still a lot to like here, I love the rear window, the dinette seems well designed, it includes a larger tongue box for more storage and all the Alde winterizing systems being easily accessible via an outside hatch.  I also like the use of neutral fabrics and even the lamp over the dinette area is very nice looking.

I, too, prefer the "Amish" look, with the lighter birch wood interior, harder, solid surfaces rather then fabrics on the walls.  I am hoping for several model options, with and without a wetbath, maybe with or without the European styling.  I think a larger wheel set and higher axle would look better proportionally, though it will add to weight.  Even with the closet I feel as if it is lacking storage, so maybe a couple of different closet options that can be prefabricated and just dropped in (for instance I would rather have drawers then a coat closet, I don't have camping cloths that I need to hang).

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA