Options

New 400 Model T@B?

Comments

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I for one prefer 12v only fridges.  They don't care about levelness or elevation and are much more efficient use of space.  You can have 4.7 cu ft where the 3 cu ft goes with a much larger freezer.  The new Danfoss compressor is very efficient.  Check out Vitrifrigo made in Italy or Norcold made in Canada.  Perhaps just give us the choice.
    John 

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Well, so much for the 400 - Need propane, live on propane.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Agree with PXL, no propane would be a deal-killer for me.  Do people boondock with an electric frig?  I know Verna raves about her portable 2-Way.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Can't imagine boondocking without propane.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love my ARB and I did winter in AZ in 2015 with only my ARB when I had my Silver Shadow Teardrop.

But, I am not familiar with this new fridge. The clamshell 2-ways fridges are currently energy hogs, so is this one?

I would want my ARB plus a 3-way fridge and I would be using propane on the 3-way over 75% of the time. My ARB is not an energy hog, and my current 3-way fridge is a miser with propane. 

I would probably say "no" to this 2-way, and pay for a locking sliding shelf for my ARB with tie downs. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    They're going to have to find a way to fit a 3-way ... When shopping campers, never ran into one without a 3-way. Was kind of surprised the CS models had 2-ways.
  • Options
    That's why I don't have a CS, solely based on the fact they couldn't have a 3-way. I wanted the extra storage of the CS, but I knew I needed propane. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Propane rocks for those of us that not only full-time, but boondock as well! No propane fridge would be a deal breaker for us as well. Agree with Verna & PXL on the CS model. We were pretty much sold on the CS model, until...#1: I laid on the bed & my feet hung over, and #2: no choice of propane for the fridge. Both deal breakers, and now proud owners of a MAX S!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    T@Bnero, Which model T@B do you have? We also have solar, 100w Renogy, and don't run out of electricity, but we are very frugal with it, only using when necessary. Still prefer propane with the fridge though, as it is VERY miserly with the amount it uses, and seems to work better with the propane than 12v.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited December 2016
    One change that Verna and I suggested from the earlier 400 prototype was to re-position and move the dump handle and Y (gray & black combined) out from beneath the trailer more to allow users better access to the dump area.   I would be curious for those of you who do have an opportunity to see this up close to take some additional photos and see if this area has been updated.  The earlier prototype had the controls up underneath the wall and this virtually required an individual to get down on their hands and knees to hook up and dump the tanks.  It's difficult in this photo to really see what the newer prototype configuration is.   

Attached Image
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    We boondock as much as possible and prefer to not pay the extra money for full hook up.  When we were first looking at campers I was all wigged out that the t@b we were looking at had the 12 v fridge.  At the same time I learned that I had mild sleep apnea and needed a CPAP.  At that point it became obvious that managing batteries was inevitable and bought the t@b.  I like the 12v fridge and the ARB.  We use Solar power and golf cart batteries along with the meter.  We have never lost food due to the fridge becoming warm and have never worried about running out of juice.  We have frozen food that shouldn't have been however.  I would prefer a larger fridge where we would only have one appliance to manage.  As I mentioned above, compressor based fridges are more space efficient.  One size/technology does not fit all of us.
    John 

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    T@Bnero said:
    If it is cold enough to run the Alde, then it is cold enough to turn off the refrigerator at night.
    Okay, then here's a new mod idea for the adventurous types.
    Make the fridge cabinet vent fan run in reverse when the temp outside is below freezing. :o
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Good one TabberJohn! Made me laugh! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    One change that Verna and I suggested from the earlier 400 prototype was to re-position and move the dump handle and Y (gray & black combined) out from beneath the trailer more to allow users better access to the dump area.   I would be curious for those of you who do have an opportunity to see this up close to take some additional photos and see if this area has been updated.  The earlier prototype had the controls up underneath the wall and this virtually required an individual to get down on their hands and knees to hook up and dump the tanks.  It's difficult in this photo to really see what the newer prototype configuration is.   

Attached Image
    Thank you, Mike!  I forgot to look for that handle and I am so glad our suggestions were incorporated in the updated design. I know both of us were quite disappointed in the original design and I'm sure you are as elated as I with this updated design of the sewer hose outlet. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna & Michigan_Mike, Looks like the folks at Nucamp listened to a LOT of the suggestions, and ideas. I think it was a great thing that they allowed us to be a part of an open discussion on what does and doesn't work, and listened to a lot of really good ideas and actually incorporated some of them in at least the prototypes. A thanks to them, and you folks for letting us share!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    SeanmurrySeanmurry Member Posts: 15
    Having a 12V  only fridge to me is very appealing.  Don't need the 110V either, as your onboard converter will switch 110V power to 12V to run your fridge.  The danfoss compressor in the 12V is extremely efficient.  Running 12V off a 3 way fridge will kill your batteries in no time, but not so with the compressor 12V fridge.  With 2x100 watt solar panels on the roof, you could run your fridge and likely never run out of battery power (assuming 2x6v AGM Deep cycle batteries are used).  Very convenient too when travelling or stopping for a few hours at the side of the road, your fridge will be running without issue.  In some jurisdictions you are not suppose to have your propane on when travelling, which means your 3 way fridge is running off the tow vehicle or your in house battery, but given the 3way fridge is such a pig on 12V power, you can't last long if you stop.
  • Options
    SeanmurrySeanmurry Member Posts: 15
    I would also like to see the option of a cassette toilet instead of the holding tanks.  Finding dump stations can sometimes be a problem, but with a cassette to you can dump at any toilet.  I do believe the European models have the cassette toilet.  Prefer the cassette over a port a potty, as you can access the cassette from the outside of the trailer.  Very easy and simple.
  • Options
    You'd better throw a generator in with the solar and 6 volts - I've gone many days this last summer/fall in rain, rain, rain.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Looking good as the standard model, but I think they'll also want to offer an option package to satisfy the "outbackers".
    2-3" inches in rise with off road tires plus trim changes including flat diamond plate or rugged ABS wheel fenders should do it.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    I noticed on the T@b, T@g, and T@da facebook page that Mandy Lea posted a video walk around with Scott Hubble of the new prototype. It's very nice, but I think I'll be sticking with my soon-to-be-arriving T@b S Max. Maybe you can see if other changes have been incorporated.  Dave

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited December 2016
    Here is that video:

https://youtu.be/G1vu4szruKU

Her blog posting can be found here.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    A couple of observations;

I would really like an option with the "Amish" look.  They've got the people and the know how, why import all the components and complicate it?

Had not noticed it before, but the flooring looks woven?

Really like that they are expanding the tongue box, looking forward to seeing that.

Still OK with the two way fridge, but it fits my style of camping.

How do you watch TV from the table?

Still also wishing for a no bathroom option, but know I might be in the minority there.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    I think this version looks a lot cleaner, not as fragmented decor wise.  Still the same lay out.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SAM said:
    I think this version looks a lot cleaner, not as fragmented decor wise.  Still the same lay out.
    I agree, it is much cleaner, and I think the exterior looks much better as well.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Cold/sterile interior - Not my cup of tea. Reminds me of my brothers cheap rPod interior.
    Agree with Cyclonic, give us a nice, warm Amish cabin feel. This prototype interior looks too much like every other cheap rv/camper interior. Same with the graphics on the outside even though it's been simplified.
    For some reason I get the idea that the whole rv/camper manufacturing industry suffers from inbreeding.
  • Options
    The TV is on an expandable and tilting mount.  I asked about that in September. 

The flooring is a cushiony feeling flooring, and it was described as being the same flooring as used in the newer Airstreams. 

The Amish craftsmanship is there, but it is in the different type of materials. You'll still see the great workmanship,  but in a more contemporary style. 

The T@B 400 will not be for everyone, just as the non-bathroom T@B or the Outback T@B 320's aren't for everyone. I'm still impressed with the greater amount of storage available with the T@B 400. 

Remember, too, that Scott says there are still changes coming, so they have listened, but I do not expect a non-bathroom T@B 400. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Mandy Lea and Scott Hubble did a video showing the T@B 400, it has a different exterior than the first prototype, Mandy Lea was promoting small trailers... T@B, T@DA, T@G forum on FB
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ontheroad said:
    Mandy Lea and Scott Hubble did a video showing the T@B 400, it has a different exterior than the first prototype, Mandy Lea was promoting small trailers... T@B, T@DA, T@G forum on FB
    The video is on the previous page here. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I like the idea of the cassette toilet too.  But we do not have any bath at all now so my opinion is not based on experience.  We have the 2 golf cart batteries and 200 watts solar.  It would take 5 consecutive days of rain before I would get worried about the batteries using the 12 volt fridge and CPAP.  That would put us a 50% of capacity.  So far I have avoided the generator.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options

jcfaber1 said:
    I like the idea of the cassette toilet too.  

Anyone ever used a dry toilet system? Example: http://www.dry-flush.com/