Options

Surge Protectors, yeah or nay

Just wondering what the conscience is with using a surge protector on a T@B.
2020 Tiffin Open Road
2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
Alan & Patty
Southern Az

Comments

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    The short answer is Yes you should have something as you never know what condition the campground hookups may be in.
    For feedback on options try entering this into your browser's search box:  surge protector site:http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yes, some go the full monte external, others internal. I just use a small Camco circuit tester surge protector. I don't do a lot of hookup camping but have run into a couple the were wired wrong.
  • Options
    JustjudyJustjudy Member Posts: 75
    We just went the full Monty on an internal surge protector. We live in the sticks where power outages are common and we keep the T@B plugged in over the winter. Last 4th of July we had a power surge that took out the board on our Alde. Unbelievably, we just got the trailer back from repair...we took it in August 16th and got it back October 18th. We missed a trip to Crater Lake and one to Silver Creek Falls. We do not want to repeat that process.
    Larry and Judy. 2015 T@B S M@xx. Silver with black trim. Bell@. Towed by a 2005 Toyota Tacoma.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes!  I finally found a campground after dark last Friday. There were no circuit breakers on the 30 amp outlet. If I hadn't have had my surge suppressor, I would not have plugged into it. 

Here's the photo of the portable surge suppressor I use:

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2016
    I wired my Progressive Industries surge protector in-line and under the bench area where the Alde unit resides.  No need to hook anything extra up when I pull into a campground and I let the system do it's work for me.  These are worth their weight in gold and allow you to protect your investment and for what they cost they are all worth the money in protecting the circuits/hardware while giving you peace of mind as well.  

1.jpg 48.6K
    1.jpg 134.4K
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yes, on the surge protector.

Do a search here for Progressive surge protector, to find a discussion about the merits of spending a lot on one, vs not.

I swear by Progressive. They stand behind their product with an excellent replacement policy.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The small Camco...All I need...
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I also have one like Michigan Mike.  It does not take much to harm your stuff or yourself.  I prefer the peace of mind.
    John 

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67
    I have one like Verna's and am super glad I do.  Was plugged into a state park's outlet during a huge electrical storm in July that ended up flashing power off and on a couple of times, and ultimately brought down the state park's power.   Since it was in the middle of the night, all I could do was try and go back to sleep, and felt safe that when the power came back (3 hours later) my handy surge protector was there.  Actually said a silent thank you to all the Boardies here who had suggested one before.
    2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    I wired my Progressive Industries surge protector in-line and under the bench area where the Alde unit resides.  No need to hook anything extra up when I pull into a campground and I let the system do it's work for me.  These are worth their weight in gold and allow you to protect your investment and for what they cost they are all worth the money in protecting the circuits/hardware while giving you peace of mind as well.  

Put one of these on our last RV, A Tiffin class A, wasn't sure there was room for one in the T@B
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Another vote for yes. When plugged in at my son's house (with an adapter on his exterior plug), it had rained and I came back to an error message on the protector that the plug had a bad ground. Was glad the surge guard was there and I know it protected my trailer.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    This Progressive Industries model has been working for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015G2YYN0
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    I'm with Mike. . .
    Installed the Progressive Industries Electrical Management System. Provides complete protection for a wide array of possible electrical issues.
    Many older campgrounds have serious issues with their electric distribution systems.
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    I have the wired in unit pictured above. It seems to work well and provides you with the secuity of always being connected
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    edited October 2016
    We started out with a less expensive surge protecter until we had a problem at a older campsite. Spent the money for a Progressive Industries Electrical Management System the one that you hang on the outside pole. It checks for any faults in the wiring as well as protecting against surges. Be aware that it takes two and a half minutes to run through the checks before it sends power to the camper.  It has saved us several times. One particular time our site had very high voltage, and the adjoining site was very low. The neighbors were tripping AC units, and other appliances. Love the peace of mine.
    http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt50c
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    skwhee said:
    We started out with a less expensive surge protecter until we had a problem at a older campsite. Spent the money for a Progressive Industries Electrical Management System the one that you hang on the outside pole. It checks for any faults in the wiring as well as protecting against surges. Be aware that it takes two and a half minutes to run through the checks before it sends power to the camper.  It has saved us several times. One particular time our site had very high voltage, and the adjoining site was very low. The neighbors were tripping AC units, and other appliances. Love the peace of mine.
    http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt50c

I had a Progressive unit installed the day I picked up the T@b from the dealer. It's worth the peace of mind and not having to deal with one more thing during set/up tear down, for me. I have also been spared issues, thanks to the protector. The Progressive unit has a lifetime warranty and Progressive has an incredible reputation for customer service and backing up their product.

I found this article very helpful when making my decision.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 939
    I also have the Progressive Industries unit Mike pictured above.  Several years of flawless operation and peace of mind. 

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    We installed the Progressive Industries unit in our T@B and are happy with it.  We have not experienced any miss wired campsites but had a site in a state park with a low voltage issue.  The Progressive unit cycled on and off but we were happy to know it was protecting the AC etc.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    How difficult was it to install the Progressive EMS HW 30C?  The dealer quoted $370 for the unit (runs $228 on Amazon) and $210 to install it.  The install price seems like quite a bit but I don't know what all is involved. And I am not handy with electrical things but i can learn....or let an electrician do this.  
    Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • Options
    keithpkeithp Member Posts: 31
    I probably spent at least two hours installing mine. I mounted the display under the driver-side seat so it doesn't bug me at night. Here are some pictures I took of my installation:

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/13442/#Comment_13442

I've since moved the display to make room for the Lagun table mount, which now sits between the electrical panel and the AC outlet. It's getting pretty crowded down there!
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    For those not into the DIY work.  Progressive industries makes a portable model protector, EMS-PT30C that does almost as much as the built in model.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    reedd, those prices probably drive me towards going with an exterior surge unit. I'm no good with electrical things either.  Dave

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,451
    edited October 2016
    I'm normally like to live life on the edge, so I didn't use a surge protector for the first two seasons. However, you've all convinced me it's probably a good investment. If I install one, I'd prefer a built-in rather than something I have to futz with at the pedestal.

While there seems to be a number of portable units in play here, I get the impression that the Progressive EMS-HW30C is to go-to for built-in applications. Are there other (translation: less expensive) units out there that others have considered? If so, what are they, and why did you choose (or not choose) them? 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    The plug in kind is really no big deal. I suppose someone might steal it but we've never had a theft problem the places we've camped.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    I like my portable one. Knock on wood, as @Photomom says, there hasn't any problem with someone wanting it more than me ;). I disconnect it from the cord, put the cord in the storage under the fridge, and then put the surge suppressor in last. When I get to a new campsite, the portable is ready to test the power, then plug it into my cord. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,451
    I hear ya about the portables. I'm really just angling for another T@B project.  :-)

Considering how infrequently I camp with hookups, the portable is probably the more practical (and economical) option. Still curious about the built-ins, though--I do love wiring up stuff!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I actually sold my built-in without even installing it. Since I camp without power 2/3 of the time, the portable works. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    We looked at both Progressive Industries and Surge Guard - the other leading brand.  Saw a lot of reviews that made me think that Progressive was the better option.  Since we plan on limited campground hooks ups, we also went with the portable EMS-PT30C model.  It is large and we hope to chain it up somehow.  We saw a lot written about low voltage which can actually be more of a hazard than surges, so this model protects against low voltage.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 939
    Low voltage is fairly common during high season when campgrounds are full and all the RVs are running their AC.  Especially in older campgrounds.  Bad grounds seems to be the other fault I have experienced occasionally.  Ours also revealed an improperly wired extension cord I tried to use.  We are very satisfied with the protection provided by the Progressive Industries EMS HW 30C I installed.

The built in units are very easy to wire.  Disconnect shore power!  Cut the romex cable between the outside connection and the converter in a convenient location for mounting the unit.  Generally somewhere under the left side bench.  Connect the three wires in each end of the cut cable to the well labeled terminals in the "surge protector" chassis.  The length of the unit usually provides enough slack in the romex cable to eliminate the need for rewiring.  If the unit has a remote display you will need to route its wire to your chosen mounting location.  Its connection is just plugs on the provided communication cable.  That's it - your protected.

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited October 2016
    I too have a portable dogbone one and am happy with it. It fits perfectly vertically inside the stock pvc tube in the front tub.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.