Options

Cassette Toilet in a T@B S

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Coil the sewer hose in the bucket?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    OutbackAZ said:
    Coil the sewer hose in the bucket?
    Well now...that's just freaking genius. (Not being sarcastic)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    HR_Taly said:
    If you are getting a new T@B, you might want to just ask to have the toilet not installed, and the black tank capped off.  That way, if you decide to sell it after a few years your resale value shouldn't be impacted by not having a black tank.  New owners could easily re-install a toilet, if they wanted.

Since there would be no real modification (since it would be just not putting the toilet hardware in and a cap for the black tank pipe) I can't see there would be any (or at least not much) of an extra charge for modification.  Sadly you probably wouldn't get a savings for whatever the toilet costs, though! hahaha :)
    Why not Just buy a non-bathroom model?  Resale value isn't going to be less, because the model cost less than an "S" to begin with.  Not everyone wants a bathroom model, and shop specifically for a basic or non-bathroom T@B. 
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    I do not have a bathroom and I love my T@B.  I realize I'm an outlier, but I really like having the extra space inside and I like the closet that comes with the max-U.  Also, I have a 19 gallon gray tank and an 11 gallon fresh water tank, which I believe are larger than the tanks that come with the bathroom models.  The portapotty works fine and so does the outdoor shower.  So, we all have our priorities and it's great that we have a choice in models.
    2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Joe said:
    I do not have a bathroom and I love my T@B.  I realize I'm an outlier, but I really like having the extra space inside and I like the closet that comes with the max-U.  Also, I have a 19 gallon gray tank and an 11 gallon fresh water tank, which I believe are larger than the tanks that come with the bathroom models.  The portapotty works fine and so does the outdoor shower.  So, we all have our priorities and it's great that we have a choice in models.
    The S models come with 19 gallon gray and 11 gallon fresh, also. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    Thanks for the correction, Verna.  I didn't know that.
    2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    edited February 2020
    After reviewing the 2021 model prototype, I have been thinking about nuCamp’s decision to add the cassette toilet.  I thought I would revive this discussion.  
    If you camp where you have a pit toilet or flush toilets, then you can limit your use of a black tank or cassette if you wish.  Many owners may only use the TaB facility it in the middle of the night.  So, although it appears the cassette system favors those who camp at improved campgrounds with bathroom/dump facilities, the cassette toilet may offer more options for boondockers.  
    You can only boondock so long before you need to empty your black and gray tanks anyway.  So, you either use a Blueboy and drive it somewhere to dump or you hitch up and haul the TaB somewhere to dump.  The cassette only holds 5 gallons, so you may need to maybe dump more frequently (which may be an added expense if you go to a pay dump), but a full cassette is almost 50#.  Even if on wheels, that is a lot of weight to pull down from the side of the camper.  Not sure how long it would take a solo camper to fill the cassette.  Also, I understand that some campgrounds do not permit dumping into their pit toilets (probably to prevent rapid filling).  
    What do you think?

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited February 2020
    Solo traveler here and I had a 5 gallon black waste tank on my T@B S Max.

Under normal circumstances, it took about 7 days before the tank needed emptied, while boondocking.  That meant I was almost exclusively using my T@B toilet and no other facilities. 

The cassette toilet is okay.....but I personally prefer to use the sewer hose to fill my Blue Boy, rather than tote a 50# cassette to my truck and then to a dump location. 

I’m not sure I would like to use the sink while bending over the toilet in the 2021 models. Brushing my teeth just wouldn’t seem as sanitary...call me squeamish at times.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    I think that I’d prefer the cassette toilet. 
    1. Takes up less space inside the bathroom, making the bathroom feel larger. 
    2. I camp at a lot of places where there’s no dump station, but there is a pit or flush toilet. 

I don’t imagine that I would wait until it’s full to empty it. I mostly use the T@B toilet at night and I’d probably empty it every other day. I don’t understand why people are obsessing over the weight of a full cassette. It’s not like you have to wait until it’s full to empty it. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    After reviewing the 2021 model prototype, I have been thinking about nuCamp’s decision to add the cassette toilet.  I thought I would revive this discussion.  
    . . .
    Also, I understand that some campgrounds do not permit dumping into their pit toilets (probably to prevent rapid filling).  

What do you think?
    Yes, this is a timely topic - - -  NuCamp should take warning.

IMHO; NuCamp is making a mistake changing to the Cassette Toilet.  If some users really benefit from a cassette system then perhaps it should be an Option not the standard.

Why ?

Twice on my current 6-week adventure Campgrounds have grilled me to insure my trailer was "self contained" and does not have a removable (cassette) waste system.  The first County run CG would not allow Cassette Toilet rigs to stay . . . period.  The second, a KOA, stated if I had a cassette toilet they would have to inspect my rig and confirm that the cassette tank or any additional tank attachments I had would "correctly connect to the sewage drain". IE: the same as a "standard black tank" drain hose system . . . leak & odor sealed while dumping.

Clearly several campgrounds have experienced issues with folks dumping the cassette tank into bathroom toilets or full hookup sewage drain pipes incorrectly.  The Cassette System is Not Standard, is being misused, and is a Red Flag for campground operators.
    Side Note:  
    Many T@B family members comment how they use the toilet 'only at night' or 'only for #1' . . . well I purchased a trailer with a bathroom to use it!  I cannot see how a cassette system is an improvement. Instead of moving backwards to a fancy two-piece Porta-Potti . . . NuCamp should be looking forward to modern (marine style) Macerating systems {now on a limited number of high-end Class A's}

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Uh oh. Nucamp blazing the trail again? Or is a cassette toilet common in a certain class of camper (maybe a pop-up?)
    . . .
    Also, I understand that some campgrounds do not permit dumping into their pit toilets (probably to prevent rapid filling).  

What do you think?
    Yes, this is a timely topic - - -  NuCamp should take warning.

IMHO; NuCamp is making a mistake changing to the Cassette Toilet.  If some users really benefit from a cassette system then perhaps it should be an Option not the standard.

Why ?

Twice on my current 6-week adventure Campgrounds have grilled me to insure my trailer was "self contained" and does not have a removable (cassette) waste system.  The first County run CG would not allow Cassette Toilet rigs to stay . . . period.  The second, a KOA, stated if I had a cassette toilet they would have to inspect my rig and confirm that the cassette tank or any additional tank attachments I had would "correctly connect to the sewage drain". IE: the same as a "standard black tank" drain hose system . . . leak & odor sealed while dumping.

Clearly several campgrounds have experienced issues with folks dumping the cassette tank into bathroom toilets or full hookup sewage drain pipes incorrectly.  The Cassette System is Not Standard, is being misused, and is a Red Flag for campground operators.
    Side Note:  
    Many T@B family members comment how they use the toilet 'only at night' or 'only for #1' . . . well I purchased a trailer with a bathroom to use it!  I cannot see how a cassette system is an improvement. Instead of moving backwards to a fancy two-piece Porta-Potti . . . NuCamp should be looking forward to modern (marine style) Macerating systems {now on a limited number of high-end Class A's}

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @ChanW

nuCamp already uses cassettes on their truck camper. I don’t think they’re particularly common yet on any specific type of rig, but I’ve seen them used/recommended a fair amount on class B units, especially DIY Sprinter type conversions.

I’ve seen signs on campsite restrooms saying “no dumping allowed”, and read about people encountering pit toilets and porta pottis with similar restrictions. While a cassette does give you more dumping options overall, there’s no guarantee that you’ll be allowed to use any random toilet you find to dispose of your waste. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited November 2020
    I had a marine type Porta Potty toilet on a boat I was working on as a temporary setup.  It was a PITA to haul it a shore to dump it.  Much prefer to dump a holding tank, with sealed hose connections, no mess, if you flush with freshwater afterwards.

That said, I,think the cassette toilet is a big step above the porta potty, and in time we will see more cassette toilets in RVs, that is all you see in Europe, and they have proper dump facilities for the cassette system.  US camp site operators, are going to have to get with the 21st Century and install cassette dumping facilities in addition to their black tank systems.  

It seems, nüCamp and a few others are pioneers in this regard.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    The Thetford casette toilet I am familiar with was set up so the casettee slid out the side of the camper thro a door. So that would need a lot of mods. The Port a potties just had a tank under the seat and behind the seat part was full of water/ formaldehyde for flushing. It was free standing and you parted the two halves and emptied the bottom.
    Personally never liked either.
    I bought a 12 v macerator for home dumping. I have a downstairs loo and just run the macerator which chops up and moves the fluids. It has a hose to flush itself with water and you can attach a water hose to the black tank flush too to help. Outlet is via a standard 3/4 garden hose. I got an orange one so I know what it's for lol. But once you finish emptying it's pretty clean.
    I sometimes put bleach water mix thro it to be sure. BTW never put bleach down the tab toilet or sinks. Use RV disinfectant. Otherwise you could damage the internal pipework.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    My 2015 T@b S Max has a 6 gallon black tank. When I was FT fir 3 months, and worked from the trailer, it was my bathroom because I was boondocking. 

I could make it 2 weeks if I used the bathroom when I was out and about in the evenings. The 11 gallon grey tank was a bigger limitation. I probably could have got away with dumping the grey water at the sites I was at since I was plenty far from any water source,, but I used portable grey tanks 5 gallon.)

I, too, have been contemplating the cassette toilet. (Surely, it must be winter if we have nothing better to contemplate.) I feel neutral about the change and have sort of a, "wait and see" sense about it.

Some random thoughts:

1.  I am guessing the challenges of plumbing in such a small trailer provides some challenges when coming up with new ways to utilize space. 

2.  @MuttonChops experiences about being grilled about cassette toilets are interesting. In all of my travels I have never run into this.

3.  I have watched a number of videos on cassette toilets over the years.  Overall, the people who have them seem to live them. PJ with Princess Craft did a nice YouTblube video reviewing the new 2021 T@b and spent some time explaining the cassette toilet, too. She makes it sound convincing, for sure. 

4.  The explosive growth of #vanlife is sure to have created some growth in their use.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited February 2020
    Can also confirm the @MuttonChops question.  Has only happened a couple times, in smaller non-brand-name RV parks in CO and UT, but they were happy once I assured them I had a real black tank and all the proper fittings. 

A third time the park owners looked at my scroungy self and the dirty trailer, and took great pains to tell me that one of the reasons for their high rating was the cleanliness of their campground bath house, and I should make sure they stay that way.  Guess I should trim my beard and wear a tie from now on when I check in.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I had a Casita trailer for 3 years and used the smaller Sewer Solution hose without ever having a problem. It never clogged up and if it did it has a way to hook up a pressurized water hose to rinse it out. I now use it on the 2018 TAB 320 and like it. To each his own! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    There are several Cassette Toilet related discussions across the forum and not clear to me best location to add remarks on dumping.So am awakening this earlier thread . . .

Some posts across the forum reference automatic dump stations used in Europe.
    A bit of youtube research found the two usage videos (below).
    While I remain in the no thank you camp on Cassette Toilets and won't get into why here. If these stations were wildly available in North America at least one issue would be addressed.
    Maybe the RV Park Owners Associations and government parks should require RV Manufacturers and Cassette Toilet manufactures to install/fund a national project to get the automated stations available here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jziUXcVqmow
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Thetford experimented with an auto cassette dumping station, and had pulled them back.  Automatic dumping stations are coming, but even in UK and Europe where they only have cassette toilets in their RVs, they are not yet readily available. 

The traditional dumping station is a deep sink like box, the cassette is inserted into, after manually opening the dump spot, which goes into a hole in the bottom,of the deep sink like box.  This would not be hard, nor expensive to install next to an existing traditional dump point.  Direct black water plumbing at individual camp sites could be eliminated.  

In Europe, they also have their gray tanks with w vertical dump port, the RV is located over a grate on the ground (covering a deep sink like box plumbed to the sewer or dump point) and just pull the valve and dimp,the gray water straight out into the grate area.  No hose, no fuss, no mess — just dump and go.
    cheers
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
     . . . traditional dumping station is a deep sink like box, the cassette is inserted into, after manually opening the dump spot, which goes into a hole in the bottom,of the deep sink like box.
    What you describe sounds like the Porta-Potty Dump Stations I've used at some Marinas.
    My experience was about as difficult and disgusting as dumping into a standard toilet.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Here is one option I have seen:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D7ziKBIxuw
    Another was more like a bigger box, that held the entire cassette upside down with the dump spot inserted into a pipe at the bottom of the box sink, which has a hinge lid on it.  This system down low to the ground, and found at many campsites or legal chemical toilet dump stations sometimes found in rural areas between campsites.
    cheers
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    After a recent three week trip with the cassette toilet, I have to say, the ability to dump in a pit toilet, is awesome!

And no, no mess on the floor or toilet. The biggest challenge was how badly a pit toilet stinks at the very end of camping season.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    OlenaOlena Member Posts: 103
    I know, and when you pour the liquid in the pit and disrupt everything down there you get the big gassy pouf! Yuck, but I still prefer it the dump station.
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock Solo
  • Options
    LandLockedLandLocked Member Posts: 1
    I completely agree with the quoted comment above.  A cassette toilet is an absolute "deal breaker" for me.  Composting toilet is my 1st preference; black tank is 2nd.

I suspect that the cassette toilet mania in the USA is going to fade as campgrounds, rest stops, and businesses of all kinds realize that no one wants to enter a restroom where a cassette toilet is being dumped.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I liked the idea of the cassette until I realized you still got to dump the gray, so I'd rather dump both at the same time than deal with separately. If ordering from Nucamp it would be nice to have the option for either, everything about campers is compromise.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    edited April 2021
    With the small black tanks on the earlier TaB320s and older TaBs you were limited  to a 2 or 3-day limit before you had to go looking for a dump,station to empty the black tank.  With more people Boondocking in the smaller TaB, having a cassette toilet with a spare tank can extend your camping time before you have to move the trailer.  You can insert the spare, a s on next tip out to a facility, you can dump the full cassette, without having to move the TaB trailer.
    cheers
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503

I suspect that the cassette toilet mania in the USA is going to fade as campgrounds, rest stops, and businesses of all kinds realize that no one wants to enter a restroom where a cassette toilet is being dumped.
    I would hope that "cassette toilet mania" would prompt campgrounds and businesses to install purpose-built dumping stations for cassettes, like they have in Europe. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I agree Marceline, it will take some time, but this is what will happen.  nüCamp is not the only travel trailer manufacturer to switch to cassette toilets, a d many of the van conversions class B rigs are using cassette toilets.
    cheers