Options

Solar Power 101 - "For Dummies"

Pardon the above title as that is more of a play on humor, yet I feel a discussion like this could be a catch all if you will, would be helpful and allow others and people like myself a means of asking those of you who are tech savvy, seasoned/astute solar users questions and getting valuable information and insight gleaned on a great subject that is beneficial to everyone.  

So with that said I will start this thread out by asking the following as inasmuch as I have looked into this I wanted to pose the question to the forum solar gurus and firm up things I've found out, but am not certain are accurate.  

I recently purchased 2 - 235 watt (470 W of solar combined) monocrystalline panels and would like to use both in providing power to a remote outpost we will use in SW Arizona.   I'm wondering about the following and would appreciate some advice here:

1.  What size and type of solar controller would I need to run the two panels above?   

2.  Is there a preference in the type of cables I use in a hot environment?  

3.  Should I dismantle and store the panels out of the sunlight when I break camp and head home for 9 months to Michigan?  

4.  What should I do with the batteries during the time I'm away?  I understand that heat is detrimental to batteries as is cold so is there a "best practice" for storing batteries in high temperatures when they are not being used and the location is without shore power for a tender, etc.?  

5.  Are there benefits or power advantages of lets say a wet cell battery over an AGM type battery?  I'm fully aware that wet cells do let off gas and am wondering if there is a payback in energy having one over the other and whether or not it would be better to have the AGM units stored inside as opposed to away from the living quarters because of the risk of gas and an explosion?   Are the AGM's comparable to the golf cart size 6 volt wet cell style batteries?  Obviously keeping cost down is desirable, but what would you recommend?  
Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    edited April 2017
    Great thread! I'm no solar guru, but I'm learning. Here's my understanding (at least with regard to RV systems)...

Controllers are sized based on the amperage coming from the panels. The amperage depends on the wattage and voltage rating of the panels, and total voltage depends on whether the panels are wired in series or parallel. Series wiring has an additive effect on voltage but holds current constant. Parallel wiring holds voltage constant, but has an additive effect on current.

Watts = Volts x Amps. Assuming your panels put out ~18V max  and are wired in parallel, your amperage would be 470W / 18V = 26.1A. Therefore, you would probably go with a 30W controller.

PWM controllers are cheaper, but when they step the panel voltage down to charging voltage any excess goes to waste. MPPT controllers can convert excess voltage into increased amperage, thus boosting charging capability. Of course, this is only an advantage under optimal conditions when your panels are generating their full voltage.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Mike, this is a nice diagram that shows the series vs. parallel. With that much solar, you probably want to invest in a more sophisticated MPPT controller that can receive 24v and output to 12v maximizes what you are able to pull in. What you need to make sure of if you run in series is that your voltage from solar does not exceed the maximum input voltage or watts of your controller. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    gypsy222gypsy222 Member Posts: 8

All I have done is use my 80 watt Zamp, and stock 12 volt battery......... Bottom line, I'm not qualified to provide feedback on this subject, however I would recommend watching some videos on youtube that are posted by, Deep Cycle Battery Supply San Diego.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNNyY4e2p3Au088NkzE-Edg

Jeff seems to be a wealth of information on batteries and does cover some of the questions you are asking, specifically on item #5. Hopefully you find helpful.

Chris and Maria, and Carson, Colin and Caitlin. 2017 T@G Max, TV 2011 Audi Q5

Escondido,  CA

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    This is already way beyond Solar 101!
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited April 2017
    @SteveK thank you for such a well-written post!

I've gone beyond the basics with studying solar myself and knowing 12V systems from growing up with rebuilding automotive systems, but I see there is much more to be learned about why solar panels behave the way they do. I apparently just know the basics of PWM and MPPT controllers and liked your explanation. You mentioned a feature I didn't know existed between the controllers. My basic information was if you are going to use less than "xxx" watt panels for X application, then PWM is sufficient. 

I used a 15W solar maintainer for the group 24 battery on my smaller teardrop (prior to T@B) and it seemed to work great - the battery just needed a periodic overnight charge, but the 15W maintainer stopped working for whatever reason after a couple of years. I was fortuitous enough to get ahold of an 85W rigid panel (and also was able to reach it to keep it clean - omg.. the pollen). I bought a highly-rated, but small PWM controller, but that panel was rarely shadowed where my teardrop was parked and the teardrop had little to no phantom power draws. Serendipitous. That no-name battery lasted 5 years and was still going strong when I sold the trailer - never needing any periodic overnight charging after installing that 85W panel. I knew how long I could camp on a group 24 and the 85W panel just allowed me to run the fantastic fan and 12V charger ports before I was at 50%.  Looking at the insulation rating of the wire as well as focusing on gauge was something I didn't consider in my first installation - just happened to have enough attached wire from the panel to reach the controller which fit inside the battery case (no monitor, just hand held meter).  

By happenstance, when I went to a 100W panel for the new T@B, I bought short cables that have the correct ratings for solar insulation (it was just easier to buy the cables already made by the company than buy wire, the MC4 ends and make my own... laziness).  It was a "permanent" installation. The panel was recalled and I swapped it out for a 2x 50W rigid suitcase model and a 40W maintainer panel. I also bought the correct extension cables with solar-rated insulation, again, fortuitous. Except.. I ran into a problem. The 40W maintainer panel couldn't put out enough power to maintain the battery with the T@B's phantom power draws. Mostly because the panel was in a fixed location and got shaded for part of the day. I ended up just plugging in the T@B because I already had a cord run outside for the motorcycle battery maintainer. I never ended up solving where to put the 40W maintainer and if it actually could keep up with the phantom T@B draws.

Where am I going with this (I ask myself as well)? I've been pondering how can I best use my 100W suitcase (and precious extension cables) while doing a little weekend boondocking extending my 110 amp hour group 27 battery - now realizing my power consumption and needs have changed because of different equipment (but very similar phantom power draws). It seems the mppt controller might be the way to go, seeing how the weather was in this past shakedown trip (half rain showers in the day - half sunlight). Now I know how much the T@B Alde is an energy miser while being tiny!! The 10 gal hot water heater in the new trailer is pretty misery and doesn't have to continuously run (well-insulated). The furnace fan seems to be an energy hog (it was a cold weekend). The panels might be better utilized with the mppt controller to squeeze that little extra power out of the panels. By the end of the weekend, my battery was at 12.1V. Of course, showing people the power awning, having them turning lights on and off and running the furnace constantly didn't help. BTW, the frig was pretty good at keeping temp.

So, thank you for the information! I think I'm getting the hang of this solar thing. 

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options

T@Balong said:

Agreed, but re-read the introduction to Michigan Mike's post carefully. Keep it comin'!
    2015 T@B S

• Options

T@Balong said:

Oh, just keep t@bbing along and you'll get the h@ng of it @ll! :grin: (resistance.was.futile.)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    SteveKSteveK Member Posts: 17
    I just happened to think that I should have qualified my post that some of the information was specific to Mike's situation where he appears to have a permanent or semi-permanent solar setup.  If you are using portable solar cells and batteries on the trailer, then some of the advice, like wire type, is a bit more than is really needed.
    2018 TAB 320 S and 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T
  • Options
    Steve, it was still great information! Things to store in the brain to consider if my setup changes. It was all very interesting. :pensive:
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Awesome information!  I'm in the road right now and we are headed fir AZ.  The panels are locked down in the enclosed trailer so when I get to AZ I will look closer at the panels and photograph the ID plate and post it here.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Great info, and this is the kind of info that's applicable across the board; thanks! (Even though we don't have our T@B now, we do have solar on our RV so this is good stuff!)
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255

I'm in the road right now and we are headed fir AZ. 

If you are passing through Flagstaff AZ, look me up!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    dundonsdundons Member Posts: 36
    My 2 cents:
     I just upgraded from an 80 w portable Zamp panel to a 160 w since we camp in Yosemite for 4 weeks as Summer volunteers and most campsites are in partial shade. Last year I was unable to keep our 2 GC batteries charged by solar. My dealer was kind enough to take back the smaller unit toward the more expensive one. I also added a 15 ft extension cable giving me 30 ft to play with as I chase the sun around the campsite!

2016 T@B CS/ 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159

dundons said:

My 2 cents:
     I just upgraded from an 80 w portable Zamp panel to a 160 w since we camp in Yosemite for 4 weeks as Summer volunteers and most campsites are in partial shade. Last year I was unable to keep our 2 GC batteries charged by solar. My dealer was kind enough to take back the smaller unit toward the more expensive one. I also added a 15 ft extension cable giving me 30 ft to play with as I chase the sun around the campsite!

I'm curious about how many  amp hours you have in your two GC batteries. We have the 160w Zamp and a 90 Ah battery, and I'm hoping that will be enough capacity for dry camping in high high country in Colorado this summer.

2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options

dundons said:

My 2 cents:

I'm curious about how many  amp hours you have in your two GC batteries. We have the 160w Zamp and a 90 Ah battery, and I'm hoping that will be enough capacity for dry camping in high high country in Colorado this summer.

That will depend on your usage. I camped in the high country, last summer. I am a high power user but got by fine with 2 GC batteries (225 ah) and 200w of solar.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    just bookmarked as I believe hubby and I will use solar at some point...even if we do end up getting "his" generator
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    @GrandmasKid, High country = shade=no solar. But, I have learned to shut off the 12v fridge at night and not to do a lot of phone charging at night and got a heavy duty Zamp extension cable to let me chase the sun better. You may want to add a second battery next year after you see how it goes.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Next question:  Can I use the Zamp Solar plug on my T@B trailer to attach a Deltran Battery Tender Jr.?
    I know the polarity is reversed on Zamp’s cable connectors but what’s to keep me from using a Zamp extension cable from the battery charger to the Zamp plug? 

• Options
    luvmytabluvmytab Member Posts: 66
    That will depend on your usage. I camped in the high country, last summer. I am a high power user but got by fine with 2 GC batteries (225 ah) and 200w of solar. 
    Jenn Grover

I live in Colorado and camp a lot here. I have heard a lot about GC batteries and want to get them but they do not fit into existing battery holder on T@B. Unfortunately, have not developed handyperson skills thru my life. Anyone out there who can give me a step by step on this procedure? or direct me to one already on this site? Must be very remedial, however!!!! I am about to purchase a regular interstate battery that fits just to be done with it but I love the idea of GC batteries and a little solar. The mountains are  beginning to call me and I want to be ready. We just had a bunch of snow up there so may be a while.  I'll head to Arizona and Utah and New Mexico until it melts. Thanks!!!
    Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner
  • Options

dundons said:

Next question:  Can I use the Zamp Solar plug on my T@B trailer to attach a Deltran Battery Tender Jr.?
    I know the polarity is reversed on Zamp’s cable connectors but what’s to keep me from using a Zamp extension cable from the battery charger to the Zamp plug? 

No. You need an SAE adaptor to change the positive and negative terminals from the proprietary Zamp plug. I don't believe it's expensive.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Ratkity said:

dundons said:

No. You need an SAE adaptor to change the positive and negative terminals from the proprietary Zamp plug. I don't believe it's expensive.

Agreed. If you can crimp or solder wires, you could even make an adapter, or just flip the connector on your battery tender.

Whatever you do, just pay careful attention to connecting positive to positive and negative to negative and all should work fine. Trace all wires visually or ring them out with a multimeter. Unless you are willing to risk damaging something, do not simply assume that a particular adapter is correct just because the package (or somebody here) said so. There are too many possible configurations to give a single definitive answer without checking for yourself!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486

dundons:

OptiMATE CABLE O-27, Adapter, polarity, SAE

Easy and cheap.  Just plug into your Zamp Solar outlet and then plug in your battery tender into the other end.  We had the same issue.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,499
    edited May 2017
    I recently bought a 2013 T@B CS-S that came with a "Instapark Mars-100" suitcase type solar panel.
    I am a complete newbie to solar (not to mention RV electrical systems) but I did manage to hook the thing up using the cable with alligator clip ends directly to the battery. I got a bunch of green lights and it seemed to keep the T@B battery charged while I ran the stereo and fan. 
    It seems like this panel uses something called an "Anderson PowerPole" connector, which is different from the connector wired into the T@B battery compartment. Is there some kind of adapter that I can use? I haven't been able find it. It seems like it should be something like the adapter shown early in this video
    But I haven't been able to find it. Any ideas?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited May 2017
    Actually, the cable the guy in the video is holding looks like just what you would need.  (You do not need the "Roof" connector he shows you in the video...you should have one attached to your T@b.)
    The adapters do exist.  I searched for "Anderson to SAE adapter"  and found one like this, and there are several more.

http://invertersrus.com/product/go-power-sae-solar-plug-gp-psk-sp/

You will just have to insure the SAE cable that plugs into the Zamp connector on the T@b has the proper "polarity."

And, since it is the middle of the night, I'll let someone else pick up the polarity answer!  (it isn't hard!)

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Marceline, to continue from ptthomas, the connection for solar on our TaBs are the Zamp brand.  Unlike convention, where the positive part of the outlet plug would be male, Zamp wires the port on the TaB opposite.  So, in addition to the Anderson to SAE adapter noted by ptthomas, you also need to use another adapter.

Copy and paste the link below.  I can't seem to make a direct link today.
    www.amazon.com/OptiMATE-CABLE-O-27-Adapter-polarity/dp/B00AHCWGOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495535795&sr=8-1&keywords=OptiMATE+CABLE+O-27%2C+Adapter%2C+polarity%2C+SAE
  • Options
    Marceline, BTW, you can also use this adapter to plug in a battery tender into the Zamp port to charge your battery.  Again, unless the battery charger is wired like the Zamp, you need the adapter.
  • Options

luvmytab said:

I live in Colorado and camp a lot here. I have heard a lot about GC batteries and want to get them but they do not fit into existing battery holder on T@B. Unfortunately, have not developed handyperson skills thru my life. Anyone out there who can give me a step by step on this procedure? or direct me to one already on this site? Must be very remedial, however!!!! I am about to purchase a regular interstate battery that fits just to be done with it but I love the idea of GC batteries and a little solar. The mountains are  beginning to call me and I want to be ready. We just had a bunch of snow up there so may be a while.  I'll head to Arizona and Utah and New Mexico until it melts. Thanks!!!

My first GC battery set-up used a battery box in front of the LP cover.

• Options
    This thread recently recaptured my attention. As is often the case, we've strayed a bit afield of @Michigan_Mike's original post.

Mike, before posing your questions, you indicated you already some impressions. Please share what you found, and if it's consistent with what others have contributed since then!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,499
    Hi all, thanks for your help.
    I just found this adapter.
    Would this work? 
    If so, am I correct in understanding that the arrangement on the left side of the image (positive line going to banana plug) is the correct arrangement to plug into the Zamp outlet on the T@B trailer? 
    Or is the "powerpole connector" shown here different from the Anderson powerpole connector?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab