Frame cracks where tongue bolts to frame

167891012»

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,393
    That was my sense, too, Dale. I still have the spreadsheet detailing all the 2015s that had (or didn't have) the distinctive cracks. Fortunately, there hasn't been much to add for a while...

Which brings us to you, @Brooky, If you don't mind, I'd be interested in the following:

- Frame build date and S/N (from the sticker on the passenger side of the frame near the bolts just behind the step--it's partly visible in your second photo).

- Camper build date (from the sticker on the driver's side of the tongue).

Thanks!
    2015 T@B S
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    2015 here with 15,000 bumpy miles now.  Still no cracks, knock on wood...
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

edited April 2021
    Thanks for the report, @db_cooper --I've updated the record to include the increased in trouble-free miles (which were ~6K when you first weighed in).
    2015 T@B S
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    @db_cooper
    i think that confirms my thinking that the cracks do not develop over time and use. They created during the manufacturing process and we should not be concerned with a catastrophic tongue failure. Common sense dictates it’s a good idea to inspect regularly.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Bill_FBill_F Member Posts: 40
    edited April 2021
    Photo too large and deleted.  Moderator

I had to reinforce the referenced area where the 'A' frame trailer tongue connects to the trailer frame structure when I fabricated and installed an adjustable trailer tongue extension for use when the desert dirt bike rack is pinned in place. The fabricator was surprised to find this 'weak link' section of what otherwise seems to be a well built RV trailer.
  • jeffreyholmesjeffreyholmes Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2021
    A reminder to everyone to frequently inspect their frames for signs of fatigue. As a relative newbie to camper life, I never thought much about it until recently draining my water tank and seeing the near complete break in the frame behind the steps.  A Web search led me to this forum and to several past posts and discussions on the subject.  My rig has about 15,000 miles on it and hasn't seen unusual loading or rough roading which isn't to say that highway potholes haven't jarred us in the past.  Not sure how long this fracture has been developing since I failed to regularly get under the camper to inspect it.  We just returned from from a 1500 mile trip and we're thankful that it held together.

I would be interested in an update from anyone out there who has faced repairs to cracked frames.  Discussion threads from several years ago regarding cracks at this juncture in the frame mentioned welding steel plates across the crack.  Challenging I imagine since the crack occurs right at a bend in the frame.  I'm interested in any experience locating the right kind of shop with right kind of expertise.

I'll be calling nuCamp as well to see if they have any thoughts or advice since my dealer is no longer in business.  We hope to get our baby back on the road soon.

Edited to reduce photo size.  Moderator

2016 T@B 320S Outback - 2013 FJ Cruiser, Southern California
  • FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    jeffreyholmes

If you read this post all the way through from the beginning, you will get a lot of perspective on frame cracks. Look especially in the May 2018 time frame when I specifically had welding done on our T@B here in Alaska as it was impractical to return to NuCamp in Ohio for repairs.

I haven't seen a case like yours, but the solution would seem to be the same as mine was: go to a reputable commercial trailer maintenance and repair outfit in your area (not an RV dealer) with welding capabilities that deal with these kind of problems all the time with trailers used for freight, construction, industry and other demanding businesses. They can tell you what is needed and can most likely do it for a reasonable fee.

Fergie

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jeffreyholmes, for the record keeping here on the forum, what year and model of T@B do you have, please? 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Verna said:
    @jeffreyholmes, for the record keeping here on the forum, what year and model of T@B do you have, please? 
    His signature (which I realize you can't read if you're on a mobile device) says "2016 T@B 320S Outback "
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    That crack is an entirely different animal. Totally different location. It should be addressed immediately by a qualified welding shop. Question is it only on one side?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Yes, Verna, it is a 2016 320S Outback.  And thanks you Fergie for pointing me to a commercial trailer shop.
    edited April 2021
    As the keeper of the record, I'll reiterate what Dale said. This is not at all the same issue that surfaced in a limited (but significant) number of 2015 models. 

However, it does look from the photo like there might be some of those hairline cracks on the forward lower rivet. If so, it would be the first incident of such cracks reported in a 2016. Hard to say if they are related to the much more serious crack further back.

It looks like the big crack occurs at a slight bend in the frame. Am I seeing that correctly?
    2015 T@B S
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    My first thought is that would be what I would expect if towing with too large of a tow vehicle, like a full ton pickup.  But it's been towed by an FJ which would be similar to my Xterra.  A good weld will make it stronger than new, so it's not too worrying, assuming they don't have to remove the frame to do the weld?
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

There are definite cracks at the forward lower huckbolt. Welding up against the floor probably not going to happen. Possibly the chassis mounting bolts can be loosened enough to slip some Shielding between the frame and the floor. I would have expected to see the crack start from the bottom not the top. Very strange.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Insurance should cover that kind of damage. I would opt for a complete new passenger side rail. Really not that difficult to replace. Finding someone local will be the hard part. It a fairly simple bolt on process.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    edited April 2021
    Yes, Scott, the frame bends slightly at this point.  You'll notice that to make the bend, the top channel of the steel member was cut and then stiffened with short angles welded to each side of the cut.  The crack appears to emanate from this point. I've crawled back under and confirm the cracks around the forward lower bolt.  There are no signs of fatigue on the frame or around the bolts on the left/driver's side of the camper.  I've attached a photo of the left side frame at the same juncture to show the original steel detailing (the sealant coming into the photo on the left is from the shower drain cover). 

Edited to reduce photo size.  Moderator

Thanks again Dale.  I've now been able to read through the three-year long discussion and while my situation is unique, the thread has given me a good basis to act upon.  I'm speaking with nuCamp, my insurer and commercial trailer shops.  I'll post what resolution I find.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @jeffreyholmes, thanks for the pics and info. Please keep us posted. Moderators, thanks for the photo size reductions, as these are clearly important pics. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    I wanted to offer a final comment to this discussion. I worked through the details of my cracked frame with nuCamp who shipped to me a small splice plate fabricated for this area of the chassis. I’ve attached a picture. Unfortunately, my insurer was not comfortable putting the trailer back on the road with this repair. The trailer was deemed a total loss.  I’m disappointed in the overall strength of the trailer’s structural frame, particularly in the Outback package. We are taking some time to consider our next rig.

• Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited June 2021
    @jeffreyholmes, that's sad. Frames are cut, spliced, extended and repaired all the time on OTR Trucks. Yes, there are specific procedures for doing this but it is a daily occurrence. If this is what NuCamp set to you, then "someone" has done the testing to make sure that it is a good fix and not something from "Bubba".

Maybe the solution is a different insurance provider.

Brad

P.S. No offense intended to anyone who goes by the name Bubba. 
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 361
    @ScottG, I know I was following this thread months ago but I read back through the whole thing and didn't see any comment from me so I guess you can add mine to your list now... :|

DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
    P.S. Silver tag on driver side says manufacturer date is 04/2014.  Sticker on frame on passenger side is unreadable.
    Funny, I was just recently thinking about your "special" T@B and wondering if you had the frame cracks that plagued several 2015 models. I didn't want to ask 'cause I didn't want to jinx it!  :-/

I think the model year changes in April, so you definitely have one of the first 2015s. There didn't appear to be a consistent pattern with the frame cracks--they affected only some trailers but as far as I could tell from the record were not limited to units from a particular production window.
    2015 T@B S
    @ScottG, I find myself chuckling about this "project bonanza" I've got but strangely never wishing I hadn't purchased it.  It's like the more I find the more it grows on me!  =)
    My younger brother has worked with all things metal and he suspects that besides a possible run of out of spec steel (too hard) that they (whoever put the dimples in the frame) might have done the dimples to cold steel instead of while it was still hot.  He pointed out the hairline crack around the edge of the dimple on the pic above is at the weakest point of the deformation.  He felt stamping a dimple that deep would be a mistake on cold steel.
    While I'm not too concerned at the moment I would consider letting the trailer manufacturer replace those frame members assuming they are still willing to do it.