Options

Frame cracks where tongue bolts to frame

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    The new style front window too? I'm a bit envious...!

Jenn, why a new axle? You already had replaced with the 'Outback' axle, hadn't you?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ChanW said:

Jenn, why a new axle? You already had replaced with the 'Outback' axle, hadn't you?
    To be honest, I am not sure. They replaced it under warranty. It could be that they deemed it was a bad axle as they told me one tire had worn unevenly. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @jkjenn, I'm glad they recognized the issue with the axle. That could have caused some major problems down the road (no pun intended) with the uneven tire wear. I'm always in awe, and gratitude when I see nuCamp step up to the plate to take care of issues with their products. Sounds like yet, another pleasant customer experience! Thanks for sharing. :)  
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Wow. Impressive.
    jkjenn said:
    ChanW said:

To be honest, I am not sure. They replaced it under warranty. It could be that they deemed it was a bad axle as they told me one tire had worn unevenly. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Wow. Impressive.
    jkjenn said:
    ChanW said:

I couldn't agree with you, more.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Now if NuCamp would find a fix for the rest of us with frame cracks that would be splendid. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Normfun and others, yes, the factory is working with Norco, the frame manufacturer. Patience is a virtue......
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna. No worries, I know they are working this issue. NuCamp has shown many times that they are a stellar company. I will attempt to cultivate this “patience virtue” you mentioned. 

• Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    edited March 2018
    Might not be a bad idea to start documenting which rivet is experiencing most of the cracks.  Seems many frames are seeing cracks at the front lower rivet.
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    rcuomo said:
    Might not be a bad idea to start documenting which rivet is experiencing most of the cracks.  Seems many frames are seeing cracks at the front lower rivet.
    So far they have all been lower front only. All on the driver side. Two or three on both sides. None on passenger side only.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I've heard back from the factory and based on my past experience, I'm confident they will put customer satisfaction and safety first once they have figured out an agreeable plan to address the problem.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Bump
    Vote to make this thread a Sticky.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    db_cooper said:
    Bump
    Vote to make this thread a Sticky.
    Sometimes sticky’s get over looked after time. I would rather 
    bump it from time to time to keep it in the forefront. JMHO
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I agree with @Dalehelman. How many posts asks questions about how to post photos......look in the announcements. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    LibrarydragonLibrarydragon Member Posts: 103
    So far they have all been lower front only. All on the driver side. Two or three on both sides. None on passenger side only.
    Ours is on the passenger side. That's because Carl and I like to be different.
    Sara&Carl
    2015 max s outback, TV 2011 RAV4, V6, 4x4, & 2017 Tacoma Off-road 4x4
    Soquel, CA
  • Options
    Picked up the T@b and everything looks great! I will try to take some photos  tomorrow.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Picked up the T@b and everything looks great! I will try to take some photos  tomorrow.
    Is it possible to get pictures of the damaged piece after it was  disassembled. I would like to see the backside. Could they tell if the cracks were caused by stress of over tightening, or fractures when the dimple was stamped in?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    Is it possible to get pictures of the damaged piece after it was  disassembled. I would like to see the backside. Could they tell if the cracks were caused by stress of over tightening, or fractures when the dimple was stamped in?
    We would have to see if the factory still has it and I betting they don't. Too big to keep around.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    jkjenn said:
    We would have to see if the factory still has it and I betting they don't. Too big to keep around.
    To bad. I would hope they would examine it to help correct the problem.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I would imagine Norcold, the frame manufacturer, would be the one in a better position to examine the pieces. They would have the expertise and better availability to the correct tools to examine and determine exactly what problem is. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    CincyKidCincyKid Member Posts: 83
    As an engineer it appears to me that the cracks are propagating from the welds, where poor welding can lead to crack initiation.  Things like poor weld rod quality, inadequate weld prep, poor welding skill, etc. can all give rise to stress concentration risers.  NuCamp definitely needs to comment if this is a safety issue or not and they need to collect data to see if it is related to specific manufacturing dates (operator), etc.

CincyKid
    Cincinnati, OH
  • Options
    CincyKid said:
    As an engineer it appears to me that the cracks are propagating from the welds, where poor welding can lead to crack initiation.  Things like poor weld rod quality, inadequate weld prep, poor welding skill, etc. can all give rise to stress concentration risers.  NuCamp definitely needs to comment if this is a safety issue or not and they need to collect data to see if it is related to specific manufacturing dates (operator), etc.
    I don’t see any welds in this area. The  fasteners they used appear to be some sort of a  rivet.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    The fasteners are called Huck bolts.  According to Norco they use Huck. Bolts rather than welding on their frames. 

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Normfun said:
    The fasteners are called Huck bolts.  According to Norco they use Huck. Bolts rather than welding on their frames. 
    Thanks for that. I just checked out a YouTube video. All is clear now. I think I can see how the metal is fracturing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f9BDIST4GM&sns=em
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    edited March 2018
    Ours is on the passenger side. That's because Carl and I like to be different.
    According to my records, jkjenn and Normfun also have cracks limited to the passenger side. I'm up to...

Four on both sides.
    Three on the passenger side only.
    One on driver's side only.
    Two unspecified.

My info is based on what I can glean from the comments in this and related threads. It may not be accurate or complete. Corrections and clarifications are welcome!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited March 2018
    rcuomo said:
    I'll sift back through the reports and--to the extent that I can determine it from photos and descriptions--will add this information to the spreadsheet.

EDIT: As Dale noted previously, of the eight for which I can determine a location, the cracks are limited to the lower front rivet/bolt.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Can anyone verify that Cyclonic's 2012 should be on this list? I know he experienced a catastrophic failure of his aftermarket receiver hitch, but that was T?V related. I can't find any postings verifying any issue with the trailer frame itself.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Cyclonic’s 2012 frame is constructed in a very different way.  It is bent just behind the entry door area so that is continue towards the back. Part of the bend is accomplished by apparently scoring the upper flange with what looks to be a grinder. I have the same frame. 

The 2015 had a totally different method of making this bend without actually bending the frame. 

I do not feel the 2014 or previous frame issues should be included in this count.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks, Verna. I'll strike Cyclonic's T@B from the record.

I'm curious though...  Did the different construction result in some sort of frame damage? From what you said it doesn't sound that way, just that the particular construction method employed might look like damage.
    2015 T@B S