Options

Frame cracks where tongue bolts to frame

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    So I have been reading all the post, I remember watching a video by Mandy lea, Vlog episode 5 when she had her trailer frame break https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K3PjDpqOrOQ
    While it was not a 320, wow did what is now Nu Camp go to great effort to make it right. Now the frame failure is not in the same location or the same model as this thread discussion, it is a frame failure all the same.
    Love Mandy Lea!!! *hugs if you're reading*. I agree my head about exploding when visiting Las Vegas for too long. Wow about the places she visited while there waiting for awesome service from NuCamp folks. I've seen those areas when tent camping in 1986.

When I had my popup, I always went out expecting something was going to break (it was 13 yrs old). That old thing kept going! One of the last trips, I heard a BANG! "Ut oh" and pulled off at a Cracker Barrel (conveniently at the next exit) and looked all over the trailer. Nothing. Looked at my old truck. It was the old exhaust mounting bracket that gave away and the banging and rattling was my exhaust hanging down. LOL. Oh well. It's not always the camper!! 

Kudos to NuCamp. I know they'll make all of this right. Reminds me of the show "Holmes on Homes". Stuff happens and the most well-planned trips can have big hiccups. Having someone making things "right" and having your back lessens the frustration. It's not to say there isn't frustration, but I like Mandy Lea's attitude. I confess I usually throw a tantrum (somewhere private) and then work on a solution. I need a more "laid back" attitude. Guess it takes practice.

First camping trip is St Paddy's Day!! w000000t! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    edited March 2018
    I just got the trailer out today to de-winterize and after reading this thread I thought I would check for frame cracks.  Not sure if these rust lines qualify for frame cracks.  Thoughts?

2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    edited March 2018
    Absolutely, that's a crack on both sides of those anchor points. Compare with other photos-- it's the same. The rust is the result of the crack exposing "raw" steel.

• Options
    Yea, I thought so.  I'll contact Nucamp on Monday and send them the pictures.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Joe,  how many miles you got on the trailer?  It's another 2015 I see. :(
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @Joe it appears to be lower front. Which side?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @db_cooper - I'm really not sure how many miles I have.  My guess is about 8,000 - 10,000 miles over the last three years.  We mainly take the trailer from Austin up to southwest Colorado in the summer for the past three years.  Plus a couple of trips out to Big Bend National park.  I don't have any extra weight on the front.  No storage boxes.  I've never really had the trailer off road.

I just sent Nucamp an email with photos attached.  I'm looking forward to hear what they have to say.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    @Joe, what's the manufacture date of your 2015? It should be indicated on a sticker on the driver's side of the trailer tongue.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I think that brings us to 7 since I first posted. I believe all but 1 were 2015s. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @ScottG, Absolutely agree with having the manufacture date included in this scenario. Just an observation...all the cracks seem to be on the lower connection point, no matter which side. I'd be curious to know that if in that particular time period, an adjustment was made to the torque applied to that joint connection.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    edited March 2018
    @ScottG -- The manufacture date is 12/2014.
  • Options
    JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
    FWIW, our 2016 Max S (once known as the Pop-T@b) shows no signs of cracking or rust. The trailer date is 7/2015.  We have put about 6,000 miles on it since last July, but I have no idea how many miles it travelled previously.
    2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

• Options
    @Dalehelman - Both sides affected.  The two photos I posted are one for each side.
  • Options
    @JanandDave I gather you purchased your trailer from Shawn. Previously  known Pop-t@b. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Hi. That is correct. Good folks. We love it. 

• Options
    @JanandDave Do you know if Shawn went to the dark side an bought an Airstream.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    FYI...while checking my bolts, I noticed that they have a grease pencil "slash."  These are the factory check mark assuring they have been torqued...FYI...Any other "newer" t@bs with this?
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Can't say for sure. At the time he was considering something bigger to accommodate the present and future grandkids.

• Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    @4ncar ..I have 2017  built date 7/2016  cs-s   I have the grease marks on both sides of mine also..   I have about 8,000 miles   everything underneath looks good..
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    jrsladjrslad Member Posts: 20
    OK, just checked my 2015 MaxS and sure enough there are cracks on both sides. The cracks are on the forward lower pin on both sides. Is a recall a possibility?
    John & Michelle & JD (Just Dog) 2019 T@B 400 Boondock LTE  towed by a 2017 Toyota Highlander v6, (flat land only) or a 2017 Tundra v8 (when going west)
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I would hope that Norco the frame manufacturer is supplying the replacement parts as well as  reimbursing NuCamp or a servicing dealer for the labor costs. There is obviously a run of bad materials and or assembly procedure during and around the 2015 run.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I have a 2016 CS-S build date 2-16 with about 12,000 miles and all is OK. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I had a dream last night that they decided to give me a 400 to replace my 320 because of this. What are my chances? LOL!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    I had a dream last night that they decided to give me a 400 to replace my 320 because of this. What are my chances? LOL!
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you were dreaming. Although anything is possible. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Dream on Jenn! 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    It was pretty amusing....I think I must have the 400 on the brain. It has really grown on me. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    The 400 is very nice, but for me it lacks the 320s cute factor. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Dalehelman, 2X. But go for it Jenn!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    The 400 is very nice, but for me it lacks the 320s cute factor. 
    I am somewhat in agreement and the size of the 320 has always been appealing to me but the 400 is so well thought out and so really like the Euro styling on the interior. I have never been on Team Wood Interior.

• Options
    Update -- On Sunday I emailed Nucamp at the warranty email address with a description of the problem and photos.  After two full working days (Monday and Tuesday) I've had no response.  I'll try calling Nucamp today.  Also, I found a trailer repair business nearby.  My plan is to take the trailer there next week and see what they have to say.