Frame cracks where tongue bolts to frame

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Scott, I do not have any knowledge to agree or disagree with your question. As we all know, the 2015 model year was very innovative and produced numerous new items in the T@B 320, evidently including a new frame design. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • jrsladjrslad Member Posts: 20
    So I spoke with Warranty and Parts/Service folks at Nucamp yesterday and was informed that a frame rail replacement is offered by Norco.  Parts only are offered no labor. If the work is done at the Sugarcreek facility then the labor "MIGHT" be covered (no guarantee). The work takes one to two days depending on individual trailer condition issues. For me a trip from Wisconsin and three or four days in a hotel plus unknown labor charges is a bit more than an inconvenience. 
    I asked if there are alternate suggestions and I was told to contact the frame manufacturer to see if they would be able to do anything more convenient. I also asked Nucamp about their opinion of having a local welder repair the cracks and reinforce the frame. They indicated that that was probably the most convenient option and probably just as (if not more) effective and safe. There was no offer of covering travel costs (if I returned to Sugarcreek) or reimbursement for repair costs if I chose the welding option.  Seems to me that as problem trailers become more numerous, offers of compensation and reimbursement become less freely offered. I plan to followup with a call to the frame manufacturer but I doubt that they will be able to fix the problem any easier.  Local welding shop seems to be the best option.
    John & Michelle & JD (Just Dog) 2019 T@B 400 Boondock LTE  towed by a 2017 Toyota Highlander v6, (flat land only) or a 2017 Tundra v8 (when going west)
  • NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Thanks for posting this.  I have an appt. with a welder in a couple of weeks. Good luck all!
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    @Normfun I am also planning on having a welding shop take a look. Please let us know what your shop advises. IMHO if I don’t see cracks developing around the other three bolts welding will sufficiently arrest the issue. NuCamp has agreed to replace the cracked rail at the factory when I am there for Ucamp in July. If welding the cracks is an alternative  solution. I think I would rather not have the trailer go through the disassembly and reassembly  process. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    I agree with you Dale. That’s got to be a big job.  I’ll let you know what the results are. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Those with frame issues please do followup when you pursue of get a resolution. I'm adding that information to the record as well.
    2015 T@B S
  • BgkirkBgkirk Member Posts: 66
    I just saw this thread last night after I had spent the afternoon installing the outback axle on our 2015 CS-S.  We have a 2015 model year (frame is 10/14 and trailer is 11/14 with 12000 miles) and we DO NOT have any indication of this stress crack.  However, I wanted to share the importance of a bolt in this area of the trailer.  On the back side of each front stabilizer jack is a bolt/nut.  This bolt/nut combination (along with many others under the trailer) holds the body to the frame.  I share this because we found this nut missing on our trailer in 2014 and the frame had cracked significantly at the angled bend just aft of the connection stress cracks identified in this thread.  Pleasant Valley/NuCamp took great care in fixing our situation and we could not be happier.

This causal factor in our case may have no relevance in the stress cracks described here, but it may be something you add to your intermittent inspection.
    Brian Kirk - 2015 T@Bulous CS-S M@x - Portland Or
  • jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    Finally got around to checking our 2017 Tab. No cracks.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Wonder how this would be treated in the automotive world.  Stress fractures on 3 year hold cars on quite a good number of vehicule/trailer.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
    Norco told me that the 3 remaining mounting points were more than  adequate to secure the tongue to the frame from a safety standpoint. I still want some sort of a fix or repair. At this time I feel NuCamp and Norco do as well.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    Here is the latest from Marvin Raber, Director of Warranty and Repair.

1. Are the cracks a safety issue? (not necessarily a safety issue but I would recommend getting it fixed.)
    2. What is the cause frame cracks? (the steal that was used was too hard causing it to become brittle when they formed the dimples where the rivets are.)
    3. Is there anything nüCamp can do to remedy the issue with my trailer? (Norco(the chassis supplier) will supply new chassis parts to replace the cracked pieces.)
    4. Can the cracks be welded? (yes the cracks can be welded.)

And from another email:

The fix we recommend is to replace the broken pieces (which are supplied by Norco) and are 1 gauge thicker the what is on your trailer currently.

If you bring your trailer to our repair shop to have it repaired we will partner with you on the labor if you take it somewhere else it will be a case by case thing.

And as for welding the crack.. can it be do? Yes would it fix the issue? Yes … is it the best option ? probably not. 

Since Marvin said he "will partner with me" on the labor, I'm now waiting to hear how much Nucamp will charge me to fix the problem.  In addition to me paying for some part of the labor, this option would mean a 2700 mile round trip from Austin.

My concern with welding is that it may fix the existing cracks, but if the steel is defective (i.e., "too brittle" is the term Marvin used) there may be problems in the future at other frame locations.  So, welding is not an option for me.

The last option is taking it to a trailer repair facility and getting the replacement parts from Norco or Nucamp.  I'm thinking through that option as well.

2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
    Thanks, Joe. Keep us posted on any local fixes you decide to pursue. Even if mine develops cracks it's highly unlikely I'll be hauling it to the midwest for nuCamp or Norco to work on.

2015 T@B S
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    If they’ve determined the root cause (brittle steel) perhaps they can narrow down which frames and therefore which trailers are affected. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • jrsladjrslad Member Posts: 20
    I have an appointment on April 17th in Elkhart, In. Ryan Immel is the Norco contact. He thinks the repairs will take only a few hours. I'll report on my experience after my repair. No indication that there will be charges. Again ,I will let you all know .
    John & Michelle & JD (Just Dog) 2019 T@B 400 Boondock LTE  towed by a 2017 Toyota Highlander v6, (flat land only) or a 2017 Tundra v8 (when going west)
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    The previous time I heard about brittle steel, I was on the Titanic.  Was it a safety isue, I think so, but I'm not sure.  Might have to get my nose back into my history books!  ;)
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @Luckyj, methinks your memory is waterlogged...  B)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I have an appointment at the factory to have this repair done as well as a few other mods while I'm there.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @T@Balong, Keep us posted as to your fix. I know there will be folks interested in how this is handled. Thanks!
    Check mine yesterday...no cracks.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Normfun, that is great news!   Thanks for the update. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Do to the importance on this topic can we please stick to things relevant to this issue.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We brought our T@B home from winter storage today and I had a look. I did not see any cracking on either the driver or passenger side. It’s a 2016 T@B S Max and the manufacture date is March 2016.  

I believe this is the end of the model year because we got all the new 2017 features. Perhaps if the build date for the trailers with the issue could be identified it might be helpful in determining the cause.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    I have chassis/frame build dates for five of the nine affected T@B's. They currently range from 05/10/14 to 03/17/15.
    2015 T@B S
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @ScottG nice work, thanks for following this with @Dalehelman and the others that will go unmentioned....but much appreciated. 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
    Its good to see we are not finding additional trailers with this issue. Maybe they are still in storage.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    @Dalehelman, I'm still waiting for that snow pile to disappear around our Tab! A couple more days, I 'spect, and then mud...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Update: messed around in the mud.

No cracks visible around those fasteners. But I confess, our's fasteners look quite different from yours @Dalehelman. Ours has the surge brakes, so was possibly a different manufacturer too.

Ours is an 'early 2014' purchased in September? 2013...

I'll update this posting with the frame mfg info if I can find it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    2016 CSS Max built 11/20/15... no cracks either side.

Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

ChanW said:
    Update: messed around in the mud.

No cracks visible around those fasteners. But I confess, our's fasteners look quite different from yours @Dalehelman. Ours has the surge brakes, so was possibly a different manufacturer too.

Ours is an 'early 2014' purchased in September? 2013...

I'll update this posting with the frame mfg info if I can find it.
    @ChanW, if you look back a page in this thread you will see Verna's comments regarding older T@Bs. It sounds like major changes were made to the frame around the time the 2015s were introduced.

Lucky for you, as it probably means the current issue does not apply in your case! 
    2015 T@B S
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @Fiddlerjoebob, check your frame for cracks.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio