Options

Solar monitor location

I'm in process of installing a solar unit on my T@B. The panel is mounted on the rear Yakima rack of the camper. I'm curious where everyone is mounting their monitor/controller. Has anyone put it in the tongue box with the battery? Any problem with running the wiring underneath the camper up to the battery box?
Stancil Campbell
2011 T@B
Rockingham, NC

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Estancio, if you do a search for lunch box, you find some interesting ideas of how other owners placed their solar controllers inside lunch boxes inside their front tub. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Ideally you want the solar controller as close to the panel as possible as you will have some voltage drop if it's further away.  There are formulas out there to determine voltage drop, optimizing the panels solar gathering capability, etc.  If it were me, I'd mount it on the side wall or at least keep it inside the trailer.  You could probably mount it inside the tub, but am sure there are some mathmeticians here on the forum who will be able to provide you with more precise data if you post up your panel specs and the size of your solar controller.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Ideally you want the solar controller as close to the panel as possible as you will have some voltage drop if it's further away.  There are formulas out there to determine voltage drop, optimizing the panels solar gathering capability, etc.  If it were me, I'd mount it on the side wall or at least keep it inside the trailer.  You could probably mount it inside the tub, but am sure there are some mathmeticians here on the forum who will be able to provide you with more precise data if you post up your panel specs and the size of your solar controller.  
    I mounted mine inside and used 8# wire to compensate. It is very efficient, but what a pain in the neck to work with. 10# is much more mangable. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    My solar kit from Renogy came with all the wiring -- a run from panel to controller and a run from controller to battery. I am assuming their engineers have already looked at how long the run could be and packaged the wiring accordingly. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    @Verna, my tongue box is not the T@B original, but a water tight aluminum box. I do not think I would need any further protection such as a lunch box.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited March 2018
    I think the conventional wisdom is to have the controller as close to the battery as possible. In good sun, there's usually some excess voltage coming off the panel that you can afford to lose a little from voltage drop. However, the voltage coming from the controller has been optimized for charging--any drop that occurs between the controller and the battery will reduce your charging potential.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    drazilgoddrazilgod Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2018
    I have thought about roof mount solar panels, running wires under that fat curved side/roof trim. But for now we use a solar suitcase, 50 foot of 14 gauge cord, and controller velcroed to the inside lid of the tongue box. Never had an issue. I agree with ScottG, the output side of the controller is usually much more affected by voltage drop, put the controller close to the battery. I wouldn't worry too much about the voltage drop on the input side of the controller (from solar panel to controller), at least for the distance you and I would be running.
  • Options
    @ScottG, yes the installation instructions said to keep the controller close to the battery. That's why I considered inside the tongue box. The 20-foot run of wiring that Renogy provided is exactly the length that I need to get therefrom the Yakima rack. Ordered two 30amp circuit breakers today that go inline with the wiring. All is falling into place!
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    CincyKidCincyKid Member Posts: 83
    So, as a newbie to solar.  From the dialog above it appears I will need a separate controller in between the panel and the battery?  (that is the trailer's controller will not have anything to do with the solar power into the system)?

CincyKid
    Cincinnati, OH
  • Options
    dluddlud Member Posts: 32
    CincyKid: yes that is correct: you need a separate solar controller. The trailer's controller does not come into play.
  • Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @CincyKid, yes, that is correct. The separate controller that sits between the solar panel and battery is used to regulate the voltage coming out of the solar panel and has nothing to do with the T@B controller.

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Thanks to dlud and ChrisandAlexis for your answers, thinking to mount the controller inside the propane tank area of my boondock.  Found a $25 controller good to 25 watts at Freight Harbor (where I bought the 15 watt solar panel on sale).

CincyKid
    Cincinnati, OH
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Looks professionally installed!  We have fuses in our system.  Why the circuit breakers?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Wow! It does look like a nice clean install done by a pro! I won't show you my lunchbox controller setup lol. Looks like a science fair project... from an elementary school kid. :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Great work!!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Nicely done! Now you can do LOTS more boondockin'! B)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    @SAM, the circuit breakers function well as switches. Easy on and off. For me if was worth the expense over fuses. My T@B came before they added battery disconnects, so having 3 separate switches gives me lots of options for isolating components. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    I see.  So the circuit breaker between the battery and camper is your battery disconnect switch.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited May 2018
    Good looking install. Just keep in mind that the fusing of the system is in part to protect the charge controller, so the fuses/breakers should be sized based on its specifications. For example, my 100W suitcases uses a 10A rated controller, so a 10A fuse is installed between the controller and the battery.

Therefore, if your controller isn't rated for 30A, you might want to incorporate some additional protection.

At least that's my understanding based on limited solar experience. If I'm wrong here, someone please correct!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, the instructions with my Renogy system was very specific for 30amp protection between the panel and controller, and between the controller and battery. The T@B came from the factory with a 30amp fuse between the battery and the camper. So all is correct according to information I have available.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    That install really does look great.

CincyKid
    Cincinnati, OH
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 272
    I’m getting together my stuff to install solar. I have the Victron controller and the instruction say to mount it in an area that is within 5 degrees of ambient from the battery or it can overcharge the battery. I guess it senses temperature of the controller and adjusts charge rate based on that. They offer a dongle to mount to the battery if you mount your controller elsewhere but I can’t find it available anywhere. I guess it sends voltage and temp info to the controller wirelessly. I wanted to mount the controller inside out of the heat. 
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    ChrisK said:
    I’m getting togther my stuff to install solar. I have the Victron controller and the instruction say to mount it in an area that is within 5 degrees of ambient from the battery or it can overcharge the battery. I guess it senses temperature of the controller and adjusts charge rate based on that. They offer a dongle to mount to the battery if you mount your controller elsewhere but I can’t find it available anywhere. I guess it sends voltage and temp info to the controller wirelessly. I wanted to mount the controller inside out of the heat. 
    If you contact them, they are great about answering questions.

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    @chrisk - Unless you have a specific reason I would simply mount the controller near the battery like Estancio did.  The controller is temperature compensating, which is awesome, but you don't need to monitor the controller constantly so having it somewhere out of the way is not a problem.  In colder weather the controller will increase the charge voltage to the batteries, and reduce the voltage in hotter temps.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 272
    Yeah, that's probably what I'll do. I was wary of putting it there because of the AZ heat. It is the bluetooth model so I don't have to worry about running the wiring for the external monitor.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Just getting caught up on the forum and saw this installation....very nice job.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.