Options

Spare Tire moved to Tongue - detail and pics

2»

Comments

• Options
    melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2019
    Thanks everyone for this thread. I did it! Heavy plastic tubing on the u-bolts, some neoprene shoe sole material to protect the jack pole, all stainless steel fasteners from Fastenal store. You made it possible!

Edited for picture resizing.

2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
    Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Sweet!  Now you need to cover the tire to protect from UV.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    PoodleMayhemPoodleMayhem Member Posts: 11
    I've had my new-to-me 320 for about a month.  Today, it was finally warm enough to work on the tongue mount for the spare tire.  Wow, what a pain to get it off the back!  I'm sure glad this is happening in my driveway and not on the side of the road somewhere!
    Laura
    2017 T@B 320 S / 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Santa Fe, NM
    3 nights and counting...
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @PoodleMayhem and that’s why I had my spare moved, too.  :)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @PoodleMayhem, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your trailer!  Our dealer didn't even install the tire, just left it lying on the floor. We keep it with us, but stow it different places depending on the type of travel we're doing. We hesitate to put it on the tongue, as that increased weight is an obstacle to maneuvering  our trailer into and out of our yard. I'd bet you didn't imagine that owning a t@b would be part of your workout routine.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2019
    Nice Work @melpeter
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    RubyRuby Member Posts: 10
    A 2 1/4” muffler clamp fits perfectly.

Hi Dale,
    What a great idea!  
    Do you simply use the muffler clamps without any kind of additional rubber pads or tubing?  I don't see any thing like that in your pictures.
    Thanks,
    -Ruby
    Lisa, Nelson, and Ruby in NE North Carolina
    2019 T@b 320S - 2003 GMC Yukon XL

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Ruby said:
    A 2 1/4” muffler clamp fits perfectly.

Hi Dale,
    What a great idea!  
    Do you simply use the muffler clamps without any kind of additional rubber pads or tubing?  I don't see any thing like that in your pictures.
    Thanks,
    -Ruby
    I didn’t use anything, but some have.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    @Ruby, I used regular U-bolts--they were a little loose, so I covered them with rubber sleeve made from a piece of heavy cable insulation. Others have incorporated various types of padding--do a search and you'll find many iterations.
    Pretty much anything works, but I do think Dale's muffler clamp is probably the most elegant and solid solution. Unless you are super-concerned about scuffing up the jack tube, I don't think the padding is necessary. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TomBTomB Member Posts: 9
    I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to put a layer of tape under that muffler clamp, if just for the aesthetics should you decide to change things around. I'm still wondering: spare tire or bike rack? ...hmmm
    2019 T@B CSS, 2012 Tacoma. Located in northern Vermont.
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    I used these to put behind the clamps. I got them at Home Depot in the plumbing dept.

2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    Oops. Photos didn’t attach.

• Options
    riverrunnermoriverrunnermo Member Posts: 4
    Thanks everyone for your suggested mounting bracket ideas.  I finished the project in about an hour once I had all needed parts.  I chose to not protect the crank tube.  All went smoothly!
    Bill and Barb
    2018 T@B 320s (Named "KC")
    TV: 2013 Subaru Outback
    Kansas City, MO
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Lil_Lucy keep an eye on the rubber. I used the same thing but the clamps actually squeezed the rubber until it cut through and then the clamps were loose.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    RollingBnB. Thanks for the heads up on the clamps loosening up. At every gas stop, rest area, etc., I walk around the whole unit and check things like the spare tire bracket, wheel hubs and sewer hose carriers. I’ll keep a closer look at those clamps each time. I’ve always been concerned about the rubber drying out from the UV rays. They’ve been on for two years now with no problems so far.
  • Options
    PoodleMayhemPoodleMayhem Member Posts: 11
    @dragonsdofly, I can see wanting to keep the spare in a different location depending on travel circumstances. I’ll see how my preference evolves once I get some miles under my belt. 
    Laura
    2017 T@B 320 S / 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Santa Fe, NM
    3 nights and counting...
  • Options
    rjgorsrjgors Member Posts: 41
    This is what my wife and I just completed. I bought a spare tire carrier from Harbor Freight and exhaust clamps from O’Riley’s and it seems nice and secure. I weighed the tire and it’s less than 40 lbs. my TV has a 300 lb tongue weight, so now I’m at 240 lbs.
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
  • Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    Got mine done today! It took me four days (and a recommendation to use PB Blaster from a fellow forum member, thank you sir) to break the rust off the lug nuts to get the tire off the bottom.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited February 2020
    Just curious...........has anyone tried mounting a Boondock 15" Spare in the manner described in this thread, on the Boondock platform, which has the area adjacent to the jack tube for storing a spare tire or generator?

So far, the only carrier I have found that I believe will work is one made by Fulton, which I found on eTrailer.com (see link below) and Amazon for slightly less cost.  It has a 7" offset, which is the distance from the tube mount to the plate that attaches to the back side of the wheel.  The rear of the Boondock wheel is about 5" deep, so it requires a carrier that will extend further/deeper into the back of the wheel.  By my measurements, 7" should be just about perfect.  The MAXXHAUL 70214 carrier appears to have a shorter offset (maybe 4 1/2" to 5"?)  Thanks.

https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-Carrier/Fulton/FHDSTC0101.html

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    so, do you let the spare tire touch the trailer frame to brace everything, or do you avoid the pressure point on your spare tire and leave a little bit of clearance?  I just installed mine on a new 2020 T@B320, and left a quarter of an inch or so clear.  seems plentry strong.  and does it really make sense to get a tire cover?  I've heard I should replace the tires every three years, and I would guess that would include the spare as well.  So... advice, dear sage T@BBers?
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Mine sits on the frame--I'd rather put the load there then have it bending on the jack post, especially as things go bouncing down the road.
    I haven't removed mine since installing it on the tongue five years ago. Maybe it has a few indentations and maybe I'll pop it off and check some time, but generally I have better things to worry about.  :-)
    I've never bothered with a cover, either. My tires are in their sixth season and they still look fine (i.e., no weather checking or other visible defects). I'll replace them when they need replacing.
    I guess I like to live dangerously. YMMV!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TomBTomB Member Posts: 9
    A T@B monogrammed spare tire cover ...wouldn’t that be sharp :)!
    2019 T@B CSS, 2012 Tacoma. Located in northern Vermont.
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @jkjenn...what/ how is your full size spare mounted on M@ttie Ross?
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ontheroad said:
    @jkjenn...what/ how is your full size spare mounted on M@ttie Ross?
    it is an add-on order for the Boondock package. I cannot remember the additional cost.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    tinglebellstinglebells Member Posts: 14
    Great for tiny tires but is too small for the larger boon dock tires and the aluminum framing is in the way.