spongy floor

I looked at a 2006 t@b teardrop camper for sale yesterday. It was in good shape except the floor seemed a little spongy. I'm just learning about these campers & I don't know if the floor should feel rock solid or if a little give is normal. If the floor needs replaced does anyone know how big of a job it would be? I am new to the forum & any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    run.away.fast!!!! The spongy floor means it needs to be replaced. Unless you like projects that involved, don't buy it (someone will find you a link - I think it's FB).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Do a search here for "floor replacement" and you'll find some excellent narratives from ambitious members who replaced their own rotting floors on Dutchman-era T@Bs. That'll give you a pretty good idea of what the problem is, and what's involved in fixing it!
    2015 T@B S
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @rphlps66 Here’s one thread re: DM floor replacement. How the DM was stored and maintained are important factors.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7523/2005-tab-floor-replacement
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    The floor, even in perfect condition does have a little give especially in the front center where everyone stands.  It is only 1/4 inch plywood with aluminum framing every two feet and styrofoam filler between.  Water damaged floors usually show problems around the wheel wells in the side benches.  The front seam where the top skin meets the floor is also a problem area which will show in/under the front cabinets.  Water intrusion in these areas would be evident from stains if there is an issue.  Look underneath carefully and make sure the black fabric is in good condition and tucked in all around the perimeter.
    Many DM T@Bs have no problems.  Maintenance and storage practices make a big difference - as with any RV.  People tend to bring problems to forums for advice and help which can give the impression of wide spread problems.  No one bothers to post "another year has past and still no problems".
    Possibly a knowledgeable DM T@B (2004-2010) owner in your area would be willing to assist with an inspection.
    Good luck.
    Have fun!
    Bob

• EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    The floor in my 2011 has always been a bit spongey. Since I added bamboo tongue and groove inside, the floor is substantially stronger.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• AmberBAmberB Member Posts: 2
    How do I check under the floor? I just bought a 2006 T@b and the floor is a little weak in front of the sink. 
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to look "under the floor" other than crawl under the T@B and check from there. But you would not likely see anything since the framing of the floor in internal (all enclosed from both sides). 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Can you access the flooring from inside the sink cabinet?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    The floors are laminated sandwich construction: framing inside and thin ply surface on both top & bottom. You'd have to tear off either the top or bottom layer to see inside, and if you've torn into it, you have inherently weakened it further.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC