Would Tabs sell at Costco?

The Tab is so singularly original and eye-catching, I think it would sell well at a big box store like Costco or Cabelas instead of RV dealerships where it gets lost. People who had never thought about RVs and trailers would be very interested. Just park a Tab 320s in front of a Costco on a Saturday and prepare for an onslaught of questions like I get at every gas station. NuCamp if you are listening, I will accept 2% of sales.
Tab 320s Boondock
TV: Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Where would you get service?
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Camping World😜
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Same place many owners get it now...  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    So what you are saying it buying a T@b is an impulse buy,   just like that 120 pack of TP or 100 pack of slim jims?

I believe it would flood the market with cheap low usage trailers
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    Cbusguy said:
    So what you are saying it buying a T@b is an impulse buy,   just like that 120 pack of TP or 100 pack of slim jims?

I believe it would flood the market with cheap low usage trailers
    Saying that a 20 grand trailer would not be an impulse buy but would be exposed to a larger market that has the financial resources to buy quality. At the RV dealerships shoppers balk at the price and choose bigger units made of fiberboard, glue and staples. 
    Tab 320s Boondock
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    So, Costco has service reps who could be trained to repair T@bs...or, T@bs sold at Costco could be sold via a partnership between Costco and a local dealer. 

That being said, I am not sure this fits the nüCamp business model.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited February 2019
    My T@B was--sort of--an impulse buy. I was in the market for a smallish camper at a modest price, and stumbled upon the T@B while perusing A-frames on a dealer lot. I had no idea what it was but I knew it was perfect and I bought it the next day, premium price be darned. I knew zilch about campers at the time, so I guess I lucked out getting a top-quality product in a market largely saturated with junk!  :-)
    I'm rambling a bit off-topic here, not advocating for or criticizing the Costco idea. However, it is relevant that buyers come with all manner of different motivations and different approaches to their purchases.
    2015 T@B S
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I don't know that it would be an impulse buy, I have seen plenty of vehicles, both on and off road at local Costco. It is mostly an exposure venue, for advertising. The problem I see, is currently I don't think NuCamp could come close to supplying the Costco customer base even at a single sale a week per store. Costco is mass market merchandiser and NuCamp is a niche supplier. As much as the fan club here wants NuCamp products, you have to realize that they don't fit the needs of the majority of RV buyers.

I do advocate for much less numbers of NuCamp dealers who are excellent in selection, knowledge and after sale support strategically located across North America.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    If T@B is not an impulse buy how do you explain so many 2018 & 2019 T@Bs for sale just on this forum? I am amazed how many shell out $20K+ and put it up for sale practically new.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    The first week I had my trailer I needed parking/backing up practice.  I went over to the Costco parking lot, way over in the corner back at the edge, hundreds of yards away from the front door.  Practiced for about 5 minutes before a stream of cars and visitors drove over.  I didn't get anything done that day!

If I was a dealer I'd park a Tab in a big parking lot and watch it sell itself.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2019
    Yep! Our Tab purchase was an impulse buy too! (we called it 'grief shopping', as we had each lost an elderly parent that spring). :|

And, always striving to be the  perfect American consumer, we couldn't afford it either!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @webers3 I agree.   While I wouldn't say the number is huge......There is still a bunch of no or lightly used trailers on the market.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
    Whether an impulse buy or not, I'm just saying that If I had been familiar with them sooner I may have bought one sooner. I had never been to an RV dealer in my life. 
    Tab 320s Boondock
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    I could see them selling/promoting T@G and T@B (especially Boondock versions) through REI. As someone else said, probably in cooperation with a local dealer. A lot of us are former backpackers/tent campers. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    REI, yes would be a good fit.
    Tab 320s Boondock
    Marceline said:
    I could see them selling/promoting T@G and T@B (especially Boondock versions) through REI. As someone else said, probably in cooperation with a local dealer. A lot of us are former backpackers/tent campers. 
    I have said for years I would love to see them partner with a retailer and make a themed version like the Eddie Bauer Airstream (Thenpartnered with Pendelton for the NPS 100 limited edition) or Woolrich and Truck Camper. REI, L. L. Bean, or Orvis might be good options. They could theme both the interior and then some coordinating outside graphics or colors. 

I am still waiting for the Woody T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Or a Woolrich T@b....

• BosoxBosox Member Posts: 11
    Someone said that T@Bs get lost on RV lots and lose out to upsizing.  In Tucson, you are lucky to find a T@B on a sales lot.  Costco could make a go of it.  Not that NuCamp asked me!
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    No different than Costco selling cars, or those 4 wheeler things hunters love so much.  You get steered to a nearby dealer and Costco negotiates the "no haggle" price.  If I were a dealer I'd love to park a T@b at the entrance, and get all of that attention. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    jkjenn said:

I am still waiting for the Woody T@b.

If you bring your T@B to San Francisco I have someone who can do that for you. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    I guess you could just do a wrap/decal on a silver TaB to get that look.  It reminds me of an old station wagon.  I wonder what the front and rear looked like?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    I guess you could just do a wrap/decal on a silver TaB to get that look.  It reminds me of an old station wagon.  I wonder what the front and rear looked like?
    I am not sure...these were from Euro T@b websites. I have a feeling these were side wraps, only. I have been thinking about these wraps for years, now

To do either, I have to get new trim.....neither goes with my turquoise. 😉