Options

Rear USB Ports Dead - Replaced

2»

Comments

• Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Cbusguy said:
    I don't disagree with lucky,   But there is a big difference between a bus that will travel further in a month than most T@B's will travel in their lifetimes.     
    Yes, time will tell.

but compare to a bus, they do bounce a lot. And in a bus, all the cable and harness are secured to something so they will not shake appart.

just saying that perso, I will not had a week point when I can solder weld and seal a cable joint.  At least, I would place a dot of dielectric grease before snapping them on.  Will prevent humidity from reaching the wires.  But again,mthis is me.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited June 2019
    @melpeter, you'll need to look at your converter panel to find your DC fuses.  Each circuit number should be listed with what it controls, and it's not always the same from year-to-year or with different models & options installed.  That said, here's what our fuses look like, and USB is circuit #3 with a 15 Amp fuse..

(composite image)
    By the way, wire colors can sometimes be confusing if you've got three or more colors - red, black, blue & white in this case for example, so be sure to connect pos to pos and neg to neg.  A voltmeter can be handy if you're unsure.  On these DC circuits, the colored wire is pos & white is neg, so I  connected colored to colored.  In a socket, the center pin is generally positive.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
    BrianZ said:
    @melpeter, you'll need to look at your converter panel to find your DC fuses.  Each circuit number should be listed with what it controls, and it's not always the same from year-to-year or with different models & options installed.  That said, here's what our fuses look like, and USB is circuit #3 with a 15 Amp fuse..

(composite image)
    By the way, wire colors can sometimes be confusing if you've got three or more colors - red, black, blue & white in this case for example, so be sure to connect pos to pos and neg to neg.  A voltmeter can be handy if you're unsure.  On these DC circuits, the colored wire is pos & white is neg, so I  connected colored to colored.  In a socket, the center pin is generally positive.
    Mine is the same as yours. But my porch and interior lights are working fine. So it can’t be that particular fuse 
    2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
    Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Are the remainder of the items listed on your fuse panel working?  TV, radio, AC fan, etc.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Are the remainder of the items listed on your fuse panel working?  TV, radio, AC fan, etc.
    Yes. Everything works. I am embarrassed to tell y’all this. I brought my old, beat up, taped together charger cord from the car and it’s charging from the “not-dead-after-all” Tab USB ports. The embarrassed emoji isn’t enough to express my shame. 🤭 I just spent an hour on the phone with my brother, a retired Disney electrical and mechanical engineer, troubleshooting. Poor brother.  He says I need a voltmeter. I’ll order one today. On the bright side I learned a lot from you guys and from him about wiring, fuses, and troubleshooting. 
    The cord that works. 
    2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
  • Options
    Sounds like you have a very valuable troubleshooting resource right in your own family!  Glad to hear you finally got it figured out, @melpeter.  Thanks for letting us know, so we can call off the search. Good thing, because I was at the point of being stumped.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @melpeter, I've been following this thread.  Glad it all worked out, but out of curiosity, if the old, beat up and taped cord works with the USB port, what were you using that didn't work?
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Bayliss said:
    @melpeter, I've been following this thread.  Glad it all worked out, but out of curiosity, if the old, beat up and taped cord works with the USB port, what were you using that didn't work?
    I relatively new 6’ braided cord I bought on Amazon. Supposedly good quality. Go figure!
    2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @melpeter word of advice, remove all those rings while working on electricity with your new meter, bad things happen when the ring provides a path for electrons to flow :)
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @melpeter word of advice, remove all those rings while working on electricity with your new meter, bad things happen when the ring provides a path for electrons to flow :)
    Whoa! I never thought of that! Thanks! And thank you and others for in-depth troubleshooting ideas. I learned a lot today. 
    2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
  • Options
    b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    2020 400 BDL here, rear USB ports do not work upon delivery. USB tester shows receiving 5v, but nothing charges. Seems odd that this part is different than the front USB ports (that have a light). 
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    edited August 2019
    I got a Duracell Powerpack Pro 1100. It has 2 USB ports, 2 AC 120 plugs, (300w max), an LED light, an air compressor, and jumper cables built in with enough power to jump-start your vehicle. It's the size of two loaves of bread. Costco had them for less than $100 and they are currently going for ~$169.00.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    From all of the items available on Amazon there don't appear to be any that don't incorporate lighting. There is this panel with both USB and 12v power point.
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JNTS1FG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_9CVvDbRKYJVZN

It also incorporates a switch which I assume would make the panel dark if so wished. This also incorporates Quick Charge technology. There were a number of other Quick Charge selections intended for marine applications which mount in a round hole.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited August 2019
    Here is the dual 4.8v USB outlet I bought last year. Pricey, but Blue Sea makes quality products.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Just a followup on my replacement USB sockets, cigarette lighter USB adapter, and the wire tap solderless splice connectors..  All are still working fine now, four years later, even though our newer model phones are more power hungry than the old ones.
  • Options
    TorzanneTorzanne Member Posts: 31
    Thought I’d post this in case it’s needed. I tried several of the usb replacements and they didn’t work because they were fully circular and my cover has flat sides. I finally found the exact same item to replace.
    this worked for my 2016 320 

https://a.co/d/dhpnfpX - JR Products. Took 5 minutes to replace. Please note that the photo from Amazon is incorrect and this does have 2 usb ports.