Options

Battery Voltage Monitors

I am exploring purchasing a battery voltage monitor for my 2019 TAB 400 Boondock Lite. Would appreciate any advice on what you use and/or recommend I purchase. Thank-you.
2019 TAB 400 Boondock

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    It depends what sort of functionality you seek. Many T@bbers (myself included) get by with a cheap (~$10-15) plug-in monitor like this:
    These have limitations however, as they only tell you voltage under current conditions, and that can vary depending on what loads may be placed on the battery.
    On the other end of the spectrum, many owners have installed the Victron brand monitors. These utilize some sort of magic to provide info about your usage and true state of charge regardless of operating conditions. These go for around $200, I think, but someone recently reported finding a knock-off brand for ~$30 that looked pretty good for the price.
    There are quite a few discussions here on this topic, with comments from people more knowledgeable than I about installation and functionality of these units. If you are interested, I suggest you search around and do some reading!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I use a plug in monitor similar to the one ScottG pictured above.  Since there is often no significant draw on our battery, it gives a sufficiently useful reading. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I have a Victron BM712 installed, there are cheaper alternatives but I doubt any others that have more info.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    I use this. It’s just a step above the plug-in meter so it’s not as good as a Victron. But it sends data to my phone via Bluetooth and will send alerts if battery voltage drops to preset levels. 
    ~~~~~~~~~<<

Quicklynks Battery Monitor BM2   Wireless Car Battery Tester 12V Battery Load Tester Bluetooth 4.0 Digital Battery Analyzer Battery Voltage Charging and Cranking System Monitor for Android & iOS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JR1JPM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_edpdDbGA0V6JA
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    I noticed with the Victron MPPT 75/15 solar charge controller there is also a section for the state of the battery in the phone app.  Shows voltage and current.  From what I have seen online if the current is positive it is in a charging state from the solar panels (currently not connected to shore power).  If the current is negative then we are consuming energy from the battery.

Not sure if I would need another monitor. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    While not everyone might want to tackle a project like this, a few years ago I built a direct battery monitor for our then new T@B before moving up to Alaska with it. The link is below with the pdf file on the whole project. 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3903/direct-reading-voltmeter-for-battery-monitoring#latest

Even if you aren't into doing such a project, it's worth reading the introduction I wrote about what I learned as a new RV owner and what I learned about batteries. By the way, the monitor has worked perfectly for all the years and miles.

Fergie

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I am exploring purchasing a battery voltage monitor for my 2019 TAB 400 Boondock Lite. Would appreciate any advice on what you use and/or recommend I purchase. Thank-you.
    Did it come with a SeeLevel monitor? Are you looking for more functionality?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited June 2019
    Photomom said:
    Did it come with a SeeLevel monitor? Are you looking for more functionality?

The 2019s have the KIB monitor, which for battery monitoring is one step above worthless. It uses LEDs to show E  1/3  2/3  F. No voltage, no percentages.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    RollingztoneRollingztone Member Posts: 31
    I installed a BMV-700 with bluetooth dongle on my 2012 T@B and used it for several years. It worked flawlessly and the software was updated pretty regularly. I just bought a 2018 T@B Boondock and I'm having the dealer install a BMV-712 before I even pick it up.
    2018 T@B Boondock Edition. 2008 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4X4 5.3L V8. (2) BB 100Ah LiFePo4. Charlotte, NC

• Options
    Spectre9Spectre9 Member Posts: 39
    Honestly, one of the cheapest way to get Bluetooth monitoring is to install the same solar controller used by factory in 2018. SR-HP2440 is about $20 and has Bluetooth and keeps an log of voltage extremes and has a decent app. 
  • Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    edited July 2019
    Here is a faster route to that info - pg 95.  @Awca12a, is there a Table of Contents that I am not seeing?

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/7i/hvlhnphtcl1i.pdf

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Just to be clear, a voltage monitor and a  battery monitor are not the same thing. A voltage monitor  tells you essentially what the load is on the battery at that moment. A battery monitor will tell you the state of charge of your battery and has a shunt to measure what comes I  and out of your battery in terms of charging and draw.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    To jkjenn's point, the Victron BMV-700 (and newer models) monitor the voltage state your battery is at that moment, and the amps being drawn off the battery at that moment as well. As you turn on a fan or a light, you instantly see the drain on the battery. Also, you can set the amp hour (AH) capacity of your battery when fully charged to 100% and watch it deplete as you draw amps off during the day. You can set an alarm to go off when either the voltage of the AH capacity reaches a certain minimum so you don't damage your battery. And as you recharge the battery, you can see the voltage and AH increase. There is a free app for your smartphone that allows you to monitor and set alarms remotely through bluetooth even from your car while driving down the road. This thing is indispensable for boondocking off the grid, in my opinion.
    2018 T@B Boondock Edition. 2008 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4X4 5.3L V8. (2) BB 100Ah LiFePo4. Charlotte, NC

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I have not experienced the alarm function yet.

One thing I was curious about with the alarm, does it notify the phone app when it alarms, or must you be able to hear the monitor itself?
    To jkjenn's point, the Victron BMV-700 (and newer models) monitor the voltage state your battery is at that moment, and the amps being drawn off the battery at that moment as well. As you turn on a fan or a light, you instantly see the drain on the battery. Also, you can set the amp hour (AH) capacity of your battery when fully charged to 100% and watch it deplete as you draw amps off during the day. You can set an alarm to go off when either the voltage of the AH capacity reaches a certain minimum so you don't damage your battery. And as you recharge the battery, you can see the voltage and AH increase. There is a free app for your smartphone that allows you to monitor and set alarms remotely through bluetooth even from your car while driving down the road. This thing is indispensable for boondocking off the grid, in my opinion.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ChanW said:

One thing I was curious about with the alarm, does it notify the phone app when it alarms, or must you be able to hear the monitor itself?
    There is an audible alarm from the monitor, itself.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ok. I wonder if the app developers are willing to take suggestions, or if the firmware in the device itself actually has any room for additional 'features'.

I'd put in a request for a notification popup on the phone. 

But then again, the phone app only works when in the Bluetooth vicinity of the monitor, so it would be of limited use, I suppose. In the car, or in the campsite, might be helpful, though.
    jkjenn said:
    ChanW said:

There is an audible alarm from the monitor, itself.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options

• Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    Discharging your deep cycle battery is not going to do irreparable damage to your battery in all likelihood. Deep cycle batteries are called deep cycle batteries because they are designed to be discharged. Repeatedly discharging the battery beyond a certain level will shorten the lifetime of the battery but not ruin it forever.