Options

Dust in our trailer

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Sorry, @Bhastings that I didn’t make my question more clear. I wanted to verify the second incident also had the two vents closed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    Something just seems like it isn't sealed around the wheel well.  I would definitely contact NuCamp about this!
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY
  • Options
    b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    edited July 2019
    My 2020 400 looked exactly like the pics above (under the closet). It had ingested dust where the A/C is, and where the Alde is. Nothing next to the fridge, although there is a huge gap there where things could fall down to... not sure! 

Once I did accidentally have a single window in the 'cracked' position; as Murphy would have it, that was the siltiest road I've been down in years (you should have seen the cloud!).
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • Options
    BhastingsBhastings Member Posts: 16
    My 2020 400 looked exactly like the pics above (under the closet). It had ingested dust where the A/C is, and where the Alde is. Nothing next to the fridge, although there is a huge gap there where things could fall down to... not sure! 

Once I did accidentally have a single window in the 'cracked' position; as Murphy would have it, that was the siltiest road I've been down in years (you should have seen the cloud!).
    So, what did you do to address the dust under the closet issue?  NuCamp is not responding to our needs
  • Options
    Just an update on this thread.  I have contacted NuCamp directly, but they are very unresponsive.  I get short, vague emails that just say, "take it to a dealer and get it fixed" WTF?  I know they are a small company, but this is getting ridiculous.  I think they are trying to drag this on until our 1 year warranty expires and then we will be stuck with a camper we don't want.  Does anyone have any good suggestions here?  We will be demanding a refund or a new camper that isn't a lemon if this isn't fixed in the next few weeks.  We bought this 4 months ago and haven't been able to use more than once. 
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Bhastings, I wish I was more familiar with the configuration of the T@B 400, especially that compartment (wheel well area) depicted in the photo you previously posted.  I agree with the suggestions posted so far, but it seems as though your issue is around that wheel well.  Regardless, have you considered the possibility of dust entering via the Fan-Tastic Fan vent (assuming that is what you have on your camper.)  Although the Dometic web site states that the cover "seals tight when not in use," it also states that it "will operate with the lid closed."  I don't know how that is (maybe someone else on this forum can explain it), but it is something to consider.  However, I can't see how that would contribute to dust accumulating in the enclosed compartment depicted in your photo.  That is a LOT of dust.

Another possibility:  Do you have an outside shower compartment in that general area.  That has some pretty good-sized openings that could allow dust to enter the storage area of the camper.  You should be able to easily close off those openings.  I recall someone posting about an insulated cover that they designed to protect the water valves and lines in that area during the winter months.

As far as the "lemon law," I am not sure this would be a lemon law defect, but you would have to research the law in your state.  BUT, if it is subject to the lemon law, there are very specific factors that must be present to pursue such a claim.  Depending on the provisions of the applicable law, you need to make a number of attempts to allow the dealer/manufacturer the opportunity to rectify any defects or deficiencies.  Often, those attempts must be within a designated period of time (e.g., three months.)  So, check the law, take good photos, and document all your conversations with the dealer/manufacturer and attempts to allow them to fix the problem.

Good luck!!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    @Bhastings - either go back to your dealer or find another dealer.  I know you will need to clean up the dust to see if anyone’s repairs are making headway.  I am not sure what is under the closet, but if you can access it, can you identify any openings?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Bhastings said:
    Just an update on this thread.  I have contacted NuCamp directly, but they are very unresponsive.  I get short, vague emails that just say, "take it to a dealer and get it fixed" WTF?  I know they are a small company, but this is getting ridiculous.  I think they are trying to drag this on until our 1 year warranty expires and then we will be stuck with a camper we don't want.  Does anyone have any good suggestions here?  We will be demanding a refund or a new camper that isn't a lemon if this isn't fixed in the next few weeks.  We bought this 4 months ago and haven't been able to use more than once. 

"So, what did you do to address the dust under the closet issue?  NuCamp is not responding to our needs."
    Well, first of all, I would try calling them and talking to a human. I highly, highly doubt that they are trying to pull one over on you, I truly believe they are not that kind of company. Might they be making some preliminary assumptions about the potential source(s) of the dust, some of which might be attributed to you? Possibly. The problem is that it is not the most straightforward thing to diagnose... over email. Regarding dealers, I can't say that I'd trust many of them, not that I have a reason not to. 

One question, I assume your WFCO unit (the converter you took a pic of) is below the closet? Mine is not, and did not look like that, though below the closet panel, it did.

Even though my trailer is currently at the dealer to replace the batteries and (presumably) failed converter, I'd not trade it for three R-Pods. I'll deal with the dust issue later, it wasn't a huge problem on my last trip, the one where I was absolutely positive that I got everything sealed up tight.

One thing to note, if that FanTastic Fan vent lid isn't truly airtight, being on the top of the trailer, the Bernoulli Principle would dictate that it's possibly creating a low-pressure zone around it, which could draw air into the trailer from other areas that are less 'tight'. Just a thought after thinking about this for a few weeks, and it would explain why the vent screen was never dusty.

I'm certain that we'll figure out the dust ingestion issue, but it will likely take some patience, and some work on our part. That being said, once they deem this a real issue, I'd bet a dime to a donut they'll be able to figure out–on the production line–the source. 
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Someone at the dealership (or any RV service center) should drive down a dusty dirt road "at 15 mph for 1.5 miles" with access doors open and a service tech walking around in the T@B. They should close all shades and shine a flashlight with a strong beam. Surely they could figure out where the dust is entering within 5 minutes.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Now that's what I call troubleshooting, @TabberJohn.  A simple and cost effective way to get to the root of @Bhastings dust issue.  Shouldn't take too long to figure it out..........after the dust settles, of course.   ;)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    Someone at the dealership (or any RV service center) should drive down a dusty dirt road "at 15 mph for 1.5 miles" with access doors open and a service tech walking around in the T@B. They should close all shades and shine a flashlight with a strong beam. Surely they could figure out where the dust is entering within 5 minutes.
    Years ago (actually decades) I had a rattle coming from the trunk of my car. After many attempts to find the source,  I crawled into the trunk and had a friend drive(very slowly) over some bumpy roads. Turned out to be a broken shock mount. Sometimes ya just gotta go “old school” to figure things out.
    2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    Somewhere out there is a video of someone riding in the back of a ?Scamp or ?Tab.  Pretty rough ride!
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2019
    Yep, I tried riding in the Tab once, I thought I'd check it out, just cuz it happened to be legal in that state (NC?)

My DW drove, with the cell phones connected (just in case!). Maybe got up to 30mph in light urban traffic...

It was not a confidence-inspiring ride! Bouncy, shaky, noisy... I was sure the walls of the Tab were going to crash in on me. I made it about a half block in traffic, before I yelled STOP! 

There's something to be said for shock absorbers!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Hi folks, thanks for your continued help with our dust issues.  Again, we have been working with our NuCamp dealer for 4 months now, but they have still not resolved this problem. 

I'm including some photos of the dust cloud that is typically generated on gravel roads we use to access our favorite campgrounds while driving at 15 mph.  The other photos show how much dust is in the battery, water pump, fuse box, and wheel well compartments after only 1 to 2 miles of driving.  

We drove down this road with two other families who own a Forest River R-POD and a Jayco Hummingbird; neither of them had dust in their units.  

Again, all windows, outside compartments, vents are in their closed and locked positions.  

Thank you for any assistance in advance. 

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Does the 400 have the black Coroplast covering over the undercarriage?  (the corrugated plastic they use for campaign signs you see along the road).  If so, you may need to remove it to find the breach into the cabin with a flashlight.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz said:
    Does the 400 have the black Coroplast covering over the undercarriage?  (the corrugated plastic they use for campaign signs you see along the road).  If so, you may need to remove it to find the breach into the cabin with a flashlight.
    Yes, we do. I will suggest this to the dealer. Thanks
  • Options
    Hi everyone, well, a year ago we complained about excessive dust in our trailer (2019 T@B 400 BD Lite) and never really got the issue resolved with the dealer or NuCamp.  So we just avoided dirt roads (sad).  But, recently we upgraded our batteries and when we removed the black plastic box over the batteries....BAM! there was about 1/2 inch of fine dust accumulated around and on top of the batteries.  There is a hole on the bottom of the battery box that leads thru the floor and is open immediately behind the right wheel. Obviously, this is the source of the dust.  What is this hole for?  I sprayed foam into it and PROBLEM SOLVED>  Drove down a dirt road the other day.....absolutely no dust in the battery box or in the trailer.  Does anyone think this hole should have been there?  What is its purpose?  Picture attached. 
  • Options
    Probably a hole for ventilation.  Looks like your batteries are outside of the living space and they are probably AGM, so not sure they must have ventilation.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited July 2020
    I have the same issue on our late 2018 TaB400 in the Closet “basement” compartment and some in the Alde area, dealer thinks it is dust coming in around the wheel well seals.  The right side is clean, no dust, so something is a mis on the left side.  This is on the repair list with the new floor install.  

I will report back the finding and source of wheel area dust.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Probably a hole for ventilation.  Looks like your batteries are outside of the living space and they are probably AGM, so not sure they must have ventilation.
    Even AGM batteries should be vented. RVIA standards are in this article. https://rvnerds.com/2017/11/01/electrical-myths-part-4-agm-batteries-dont-need-venting/
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Yes, that solved this one source, but dust entering the battery area is not going to get under the closet floor?  The right side and under bed compartment are clean, dust is only around left wheel area, so the breach has to be either the wheel wells or the side to floor seam behind or around the wheel well area.

The floor is a two or three part full width Azdel panel ith seams at front edge under the dinette table, and back under the bed.  So only the edges will allow any dust entry.  Front and back if my TaB are clean.  The area where the drains poke through could be a possible entry point, but both OP and our TaB400 have most of the dust in the area directly behind the wheel, and too much for the slight gab in a drain hose.  It looks more like dust kicked up by the tire and shot into the trailer.

There is a service bulletin about resealing the sides and wheel well areas.  We are having the and all bottom penetrations resealed.  
    Cheers
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Does anyone know what the 2"diam. corrugated plastic tube going into the battery box is all about (upper right in the picture above)? We are replacing our AGM batteries with lithium, so they don't need to be vented.  The hole in the floor is now plugged, what does this plastic tube to to? Was it venting the battery compartment?
  • Options
    Sounds like the battery box vent to me, required by RIVA code.
    cheers
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My 2019 T@B 400 has a tube running from the enclosed battery box (dual 6V AGM batteries) to a small vent above the cargo door on the passenger side. I was told that while the AGM’s didn’t need to be vented, should the owner change to lead acid batteries, the venting is in place. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    But according to RIVA and battery industry recommendations, even a AGM battery compartment should be vented.  I think nuCamp was wise to add the vent back in.  I plan to add one to our 2018 TaB400, which is just open to the under bed cargo area.  A foam window AC filter cut down to the vent size, should add some dust, insect, etc prevention from getting inside.
    cheers
  • Options
    SierraSierra Member Posts: 42
    edited September 2020
    I have just spent hours cleaning the dust out of our 2019 tab 400 Boondock with Three way fridge. Ours looked the same as the photos. Was there any resolution and definitive answers as to where the dust is coming in? I did notice the vent from the battery area but assumed that is necessary. 
    Most of the dust appears to be in the left side other trailer. 
    2019 TAB 400 Boondock Lite 
  • Options
    That was the same issue we had.  Check your wheel well to side seals, and reseal it, along with the side to floor seal behind the wheels.
    Our 2018 TaB400 is our dealer service shop, having this very issue checked out.
    I will let you know what they find out..  Also check the wheel well next to the tire for any possible hole or wear spot, from the trie rubbing against the wheel well.
    cheers
  • Options
    SierraSierra Member Posts: 42
    edited September 2020
    Thanks @Denny16 . Did you do that from the outside? ie  take the wheel off- or did you take off the insulation and grovel around inside the trailer?
    I also noticed there seems to be a small gap between the floor and the water tank. Wondering if the dust could be sucking up there. 
    The  under carriage cover is full of dust too. Does anyone ever wash under there and have success with it draining ok. I seem to have a “mud puddle” collecting in the middle. 
    2019 TAB 400 Boondock Lite 
  • Options
    I'm here to tell you that even AGM batteries should be vented, for sure. Dust intrusion is major if even one crack left open while driving on dusty roads; if fully sealed, dust intrusion is still present, but not horrible.
  • Options
    The wheel well and body to floor resealing is being done as part of a axle swap out, work is being done this week, now that the new inside floor is completed.
    Will post results here when the work is done.

yes, you could wash off the underside dust, would not hurt.  Ours was fairly clean in the underside, so it has been cleaned previously.
    cheers