Options

Best Levelers?

Just purchased a T@B 320.  Researching levelers and looking at the Andersons, the BALs, and the Lego type (Camco and Tri-Lynx.  Leaning towards the Anderson but would like some input from users.  Thanks
2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn

Comments

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    We like the Anderson levelers. We had used the Legos but now they stay in the bag as the Andersons are much simpler and thus quicker. I have a pair which I use for the winter storage as an attempt at minimizing flat spots with the larger tire support. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    I've used the blocks, Anderson and BAL.  I prefer the BAL because it provides 10" of height and can be used with a 3/4" cordless drill.  However, it is heavy and somewhat cumbersome.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    We use the Anderson routinely and we have a set of blocks that we have used once.  Anderson stores easily, relatively light weight.  We learned that you may not be able to open or close the coupler latch unless fully off the Anderson!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @tabaz read the reviews on amazon regarding using a cordless drill on that leveler.   it isn't recommended and they will not warranty it if damaged. 

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Love my BAL. I can position the trailer any direction on the campsite and then level it. With the legos and the Anderson, you have to use your tow vehicle to move the trailer onto the leveler.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Note the use of "we" and "I".  Anderson is great if you have a spotter.  BAL works better for one person.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love my Legos....there, I said it 😂
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Verna, X 2!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    So far, I’ve used lego blocks and the BAL. I prefer the BAL, but it’s definitely got its drawbacks...heavy, big, needs to be lubricated periodically, and as Cbusguy points out, using a drill may increase the odds of stripping the screw. I use a socket on an extendible ratchet with mine.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Verna, X 3!  (You are so brave, but somebody needs to get the ball rolling.   =)  )
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    We are Anderson users.  In going on 7 years it has been insufficient in height only a couple of times.  We also carry a couple of 2x6s that can be used to supplement the Anderson.  Easy to store, no moving parts.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The legos are simple and effective, and they are not a single use item. Being a backcountry backpacker & technical climber multipurpose is key in gear selection.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    We just used our Bal on concrete for the first time, the only time we needed to level on our 3 week + road trip. We’ve only ever used the ratchet wrench it came with I think. Old back old knees and arms, no problem. The gentleman next to us, using legos, was thrilled at the Bal option. As we all know, whatever works best for you.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Cbusguy - no need to review Amazon reviews and don't care about a warranty on a low dollar item. With judicious application of the drill (slow, slow, slow), I’ve found the BAL to be the best option for my mission. However, your comments are important for those considering various options.  The torque generated by the drill leveling the T@B is significant and may be too much for some people. Anyone considering using a drill with the BAL should read the reviews as you specified.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited July 2019
    You might as well ask what’s better, MAC or PC, Apple or Android, Canon or Nikon.

Because I use them, I will assert that plastic blocks, the kind that lock together like Legos, are the best. Cheap, can’t break, brightly colored so you don’t accidentally leave them at the campsite.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    edited July 2019
    I often reposition the T@B at least a little after disconnecting from the TV - sort of makes the BAL our only choice. 
    Plus, Only a BAL can do this:

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    4ncar said:
    The legos are simple and effective, and they are not a single use item. 
    @4ncar, I agree.  Your comment reminded me how many times I have used the Lego type levelers to level camping equipment, such as a stove.  Also, if I stop in a campground just for an overnight stay and I don't want to unhitch, I use some levelers to raise (or lower) the angle of the rear of my truck so as to level my T@B front to rear.  I did, however, recently make the bonehead mistake of trying to back my truck onto a couple levelers for that purpose.  The torque from the rear tire of my truck grabbed the Lego block and cracked the outer edge.  Always best to pull forward onto a Lego or similar type leveler.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    When I cleaned out my Tacoma to trade it in, I kept about 6 Legos just in case the pop-up thunderstorms dumped so much rain that I needed stepping stones (Legos) to get to my camper. Luckily, my campsite didn’t get any water, although there were a few that would have needed more than Legos!  Multi-function—yes!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    edited September 2019
    BAL leveler

update 19 Sept:  I’m sitting here at a the campground at a teardrop trailer meet.  Watching people set up.  The ones which “LEGO blocks” pulling back and forth leveling.  Folks like us with the Bals, pull in, slide the Bal under, level and done in about three minutes.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
  • Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    Tossed a coin...got the legos.  Thanks for the suggestions!!!
    2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • Options
    ZippyAZippyA Member Posts: 59
    @wooper- which brand of lego did you go with?
    Aggie/ 2021T@B320S; Alde Compact 3020 HE/ 2021 Subaru Ascent
    Rockville, MD (a D.C. suburb)
  • Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    @ZippyA Camco...used it a couple of times and they worked well. Light weight and easy to store.  Long term life...I'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    BAL-   no need to guess how many,   no need to re position-   just insert and raise it up  
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    2x8x24" wood blocks like @ScottG showed, plus Anderson leveler.  We use the Anderson in most cases for fine tuning, but may be used on top of wood for steeper grades.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods