BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Good luck & hope you make it back ok.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    ChanW said: PP
    Interesting summary @WilliamA! Thank you. So, does "resetting the computer" by disconnecting the battery, cause it to relearn from the beginning, or does it retain its 'blocks'? Would that help it to learn the 'trailer towing' block more quickly?

Also, with my manual transmission, does higher RPM (for example climbing a hill while towing) cause more (or less) overall stress or wear, as long as the temperature gauge is normal?

My theory has always been that 4500RPM is fine, for example if the red line is at 5200.
    It's been some time since I did any troubleshooting of this detail so my opinion may be a bit dated by rapid advances but the theory is pretty much unchanged.  That said, when you disconnect the battery, it should do a couple of things: first, it will erase the stored trouble codes.  Second, it should reset most parameters to "factory" preset values.  That provides a valuable tool for technicians (switched from "mechanics" for now obvious reasons) to see if the trouble code immediately repeats, pointing to the suspect fault. It gets muddy here because some codes are triggered by component failure and sometimes by parameter.  For example, the dreaded O2 sensor my be a mechanical problem with the sensor itself.  Other times, the sensor may be mechanically sound but reading a condition in the exhaust that is out of bounds from what the computer expects to see as a minimum or maximum.  Often, the condition causing sensor failure failure will in time destroy the sensor, leading to not one but two problems: out of range condition AND sensor failure!  In that case, replacing the sensor without troubleshooting and mitigating the cause will just lead to another sensor failure.  The technicians' bane is that these things can quickly escalate into stupifyingly complex problems with multiple root causes.  This is often made worse because neither the shop nor customer wants to pay for seemingly unrelated diagnostic time leading to vehicles going out the door with no codes, but the original gremlin still happily in residence under the hood.  Seemingly unrelated issues raise havoc with everything and ultimate causes may appear (if they appear at all!) only by thorough examination of.....well.....everything.  Overheating may turn out to be a transmission issue.  O2 sensor failure may ultimately be caused by the fuel pump or pressure regulator. 
    As a side note, it's my humble opinion that the worst thing you can do as a user is to try and eliminate your own problem by wiping the memory, ie, disconnecting the battery.  This seldom (never?) fixes the problem and erases the computers' record of parameters leading up to the failure.  It's the same action as having the maid clean the room at a crime scene, THEN calling in the investigator.  The computer memory overwrites itself in an endless loop, but there will certainly be valuable information stored so long as its not erased before diagnosis occurs.  The technician will certainly erase the memory, but he'll download the history first.  Things seldom happen in a vacuum (sic) and GM, or Ford, or whoever, engineers will want that fault file.  If you erase it, it's almost guaranteed that the first thing you've accomplished is added diagnostic time onto your bill.  As a driveability technician, the thing I dreaded most to hear from my mech-savvy customers was: "she threw a code, so I erased it to see if it would come back".  Grrrrrrrrr....Ka-ching!  Technician makes a mental note to add 3 hours to the estimate....
    In industry parlance, these are called "driveability" problems.  That's the guy in the shop with the computer workstation in his bay with the Deerhunter cap and pipe, sifting data in an effort to root out the head gremlin.  These guys are often found reading manuals at night and on days off, monitoring the internet for trends and tips. They work hard because the system demands it.  It's difficult, challenging, occasionally rewarding and constantly changing.  I've been that guy and am still bothered 15 years later by "the one that got away".
    Speaking to the point of the thread as I suspect I should, the plugged catalytic converter problem is a widely known issue and speaking only for myself, I'd have looked there early in the diagnostic chain.  Many factors weigh on overlooking the obvious and any tech worth his/her weight in axle grease would publicly commiserate and privately wipe brow and thank the grand technician that "it wasn't me".  Faults happen and good people have bad days.  I can site examples of great techs missing simple things, like a friend who replaced 5 transfer cases in Bronco II's under a Ford recall and not putting oil in ANY of them.  This stuff happens.  Patience and understanding may be difficult commodities to distribute, particularly if you're the one writing the check.  But I promise you one thing: technicians sweat blood over this kind of thing, every day... And 15 years later, we lay awake thinking about them.

So.... Shifting and RPM's:  I don't (won't) give advice on that save to tell you how I do it.  My T@G trailer and Jeep Wrangler go down the road....any road...dirt, goat trail, superslab, like I would drive a horse pulling a buggy.  I let "Ole Hurricane" have her reins and determine how hard to run.  If you pay attention to the car, it will tell you where it's comfortable.  The term "redline" refers to the point within an engine beyond which parts will begin to exit their environs (quickly) and have nothing whatever to do with efficiency.  I try to remember that if the engine is screaming, so is everything behind it.  If Hurricane wants to downshift 2 gears and loaf up the hill, I let her.  She'll tell me where she's comfortable.  That's (mostly) what the right lane is for.

FAST.
    RELIABLE.
    CHEAP.
    pick any two...
    WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Let us know when you are safe at home...or, otherwise. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @jgram2, picnic tables were placed that way by the property owners to block access to most of the sites, which have no service. I am presuming people also 4-wheel or snowmobile through the place if they get the opportunity. Tables would hardly fend off that sheep, the goats would use them as playtoys and the horse would totally ignore them, based on some of the behaviors we've observed.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    In Cheyenne Wyoming. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited November 2018
    About 1/4 of the way to the Detroit area! So many good wishes for a safe journey home!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    In Cheyenne Wyoming. 
    Walmarts in Sydney, Ogallala and Kearney are good. Grand Island and North Platte work in a pinch, not my favorite, though. They will all have truck noise due to the proximity to I-80. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Fly, dragons!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Onward Dragons!  Safe travels to you!!!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @dragonsdofly, Safe event-less travels to you! Sending good thoughts your way. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Are yard you chasing the big storm?

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @dragonsdofly WHOO HOO! You’re on the road again! Congratulations and safe travels! Thanks for the update!  =)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Zoom zoom.....
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Just goes to show 'ya Dragons DO fly! I'm quite sure there are an abundance of folks here that are very happy to hear you're on the road again & NOT "STRANDED"!!!!! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited November 2018
    @dragonsdofly, my saying was upgraded by my Dad after he taught me how to drive "Never drive faster than the whole darn choir of angels up there can fly". Sometimes, it takes a choir!! <3
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Made it to Princeton, Illinois tonight. Staying in another Walmart parking lot. Thank you, Walmart. Snow expected tonight and through the day as we make the final segment of the trip home.

Thanks for all of the assistance, advice and encouragement we have received from everyone. 

We will never forget what all of you have done for us.

Especially important at this time is for everyone to know that although this upcoming leg of the journey may be treacherous, we plan to keep 2 wheels on the ground at all times. It's part of our personal safety rules. Front 2, back 2, left 2, right 2 or any diagonal 2 will do.

• Options
    I have stayed at that Walmart.  =)

• Options
    @dragonsdofly thanks for the update! We’re still here rooting you on. Take your time and
    safe travel prayers sent your way(ok, still...  :) )
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Take your time!  I white knuckled through a little snow encountered at elevation in Utah.  Safe travels!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    You've got forum angels behind you - a powerful force! <3 Thank you again for your update. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    The journey has ended, but the saga continues.........

Until the truck is truly repaired, the bills and debts are paid, this is still the never ending adventure. Thank you everyone! May your upcoming holiday be blessed  -Jim & Denise
  • Options
    Just in time for dinner! (Sorry, I’m always thinking food!) so very glad to hear you’re safe home!

• Options
    I'm glad you are home safe.

I understand about the bills and on-going fixing of an ailing vehicle. I'm facing something similar (non-vehicle related) and the painful decision on which direction I need to go. As my Dad always told me "nothing is ever easy" (he was referring to fixing stuff at the time, but it applies to a lot more!).
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2018
    dragons, have a warm, comfortable, relaxed evening. Sleep well!!!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited November 2018
    A friend of mine once said everything in life is one of three things. A little give and take, a lot of moving stuff around, and a constant battle with machinery.  Sounds like you had it all. :). Glad you made it home, I'm sure you'll have a great story to tell once the bad stuff fades. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Congratulations!🎉 I bet a long hot shower and your own bed never felt better! ❤️ I’m glad you’re home safely and the rest will work out somehow. (It always does..,😊)

Hey @Ratkity! I’m thinking that they also just earned their “Campfire Story of the Year badge from Tab University. 😁

• Options
    @Homebodyatheart, we will have to make a list of badges they've earned. I think there's a stack of them. They might have to be promoted to teaching level to lecture to others!