Options

nüCamp revised — Purchasing from the Parts Department effective 1/1/2019

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @NCNative - Please give nuCamp a call.  That is the kind of info they need to improve their customer service via the dealers.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Years ago in a previous career, I was a sales rep with a small company. 1 pres, 1 vp, 1 office mgr 2 product engineers and 6 sales , engineer reps.  We covered the world with our services and product.  We had set dealers and marketed through them.  If a inquiry came in, we sold directly to them usually bypassing the dealer.  This, in a way was undercutting our own dealers.  eventually the dealers became ineffective in some ways.  We have owned 3 Pleasant Valley/ NU Camp trailers and love all of them.  They were purchased at 3 different dealers with the first purchased locally (80 mi).  When it came time to upgrade, we never could get a commitment for trade in or even a accurate price.  Second one was 200 miles away and after some dealing and promises about how great they were, we purchased from them.  When we rolled off the lot it was good by and see ya later.  The last we heard from them.  Our current 400 is from a dealer 300 miles away and although there have been some issues (not his fault or deal changing) He preformed and is our best dealer yet.  Through all this, the product produced by NU Camp is and has been far superior to anything else that we would consider.  While I under stand this new policy of using you dealer first I wonder if they might consider regional "Supper Dealer / Service center".  We have been willing to travel where needed and have , nor, expect major issues with the 400.  We are thankful for the Team at NU Camp and the support from them and from this forum, and are sure that in time and true quality fashion, they will work it out. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    That's a good idea.  I am sure there aare a lot of T@bbers who agree! 
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    TaBle42TaBle42 Member Posts: 37
    I hope they can start with the Tab dealer near me, as they were the ones that politly asked me to go to nuCamp for service (warranty service). The dealer by me have over 20 service bays but could not fit me in - 2-3 months out. And as far as getting a replacement part (clips for the window valance) which they had no idea what I was talking about, I called Elsie, she knew exactly what I needed - of course she did, she represents nuCamp, the dealer has only a handfull of Tabs in thier entire inventory of 100’s of others.  
    It just ticks me off that dealers, in my opinion, don’t care once the deal is done. By the way, Elsie got those clips out to me within a couple of days at no cost...as my Tab is still under warranty, but not for long.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    NCNative said:
    Wow. This is a little unnerving. I purchased my T@B in Ohio and I live in the SF Bay Area. I am having trouble finding a local dealer that will help me with minor warranty issues...
    I do not think you need to find a local dealer. If you need parts, I would reach out to some of the better dealers: Millers in Perkasie, PA, Hadocey, in Columbus, OH, Princess Craft, in Texas, the dealer in Vermont, etc...I am guessing many if not most will take a credit card over the phone and your order can be drop shipped. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    edited January 2019
    I am not a big hadocey fan...but that maybe just me.
  • Options
    ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2019
    Just placed an order for a 400. I'm fortunate to have a dealer 30 minutes away. I'm concerned about dealer markup on parts. Is there a cap imposed by NuCamp? Will we be forced to do comparative shopping from a variety of dealers? I understand (but don't agree) why NuCamp is pursuing this path but the pricing should be uniform from coast to coast. In fact a pricing guide should be available online for customers to read, search and select from. I hope this new procedure doesn't become a headache for NuCamp. They're allowing their customer service reputation to be determined (even more so) by the dealer network. A leap of faith on their part. 
    2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
    2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
    Tampa, Florida
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I hope there will be some alternative for those of us who had a horrible dealer who has subsequently gone out of business.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    LisaTucsonLisaTucson Member Posts: 60
    I bought my T@B from a private seller, not a dealer. When I called the dealer in Mesa, AZ (I live in Tucson) they said they can't/won't work with me (not even for parts) because I didn't buy my T@B from them. I'm assuming this change comes about because NuCamp has seen an increase in demand and have decided to focus more on production. However, due to the comments regarding dealer (non) support I've read on this string I'm afraid the demand will dwindle and we know what that means. Disappointing.
    Lisa
    Tucson, AZ
    2016 T@B 320 S Outback ("Scout")
    TV: 2013 Lexus 450h
    "You never know when you're having good luck." ~ Unknown
  • Options
    I think Verna monitors these forums.  I am pretty sure she can give us some input.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2019
    Dealers...Hmmmm....Car dealers, RV dealers, parts dealers....  My experience tells me they are a horse apiece.  I have car dealers I trust to work on my Jeep and, if I ever need it, trailer places that I'd take my T@G.  
    Keep in mind that dealers are gravitationally attracted to the kaching and nothing has changed or will change about that.  In the seasonal business model, they will (rightfully) squeeze the biggest bang for the buck jobs in first.  Nothing new there.  They have a lot of employees and need to float the boat first or nobody gets anything.  I have never contacted my dealer for issues as I don't like the place.  I've purchased 2 trailers from him (LG5W and a T@GXL) but wouldn't take my rigs there for repairs.  Ya just gotta know the audience sometimes.  I have contacted the NuCamp folks once for parts after I took out my microwave and wanted to put in the cabinet door kit.  No problem with that.  
    Most parts on my rig and the larger T@B/400 units are, after all, just RV standard stuff.  Switches, water spigots and the like are sitting on shelves all over the country.  No need to task the factory for something available online or in the local RV hawker.  For the custom stuff, that's another matter.  Windows, exterior trim etc are going to be more difficult to source locally, but that doesn't mean they can't be had.  I don't call the Jeep/FCA headquarters for parts for my Jeep.  The first stop is my local (sic) dealer.  
    Sometimes (always?) sourcing parts, whether warranty or aftermarket, is a bit of a scavenger hunt.  I know for a fact that I have 2 trailer places locally that, while neither are NuCamp dealers, would be able to get parts for my trailer if I asked.  I recognize that there are warranty issues which need attention and occasionally, action by the manufacturer but also recognize my own culpability in the process.  I am responsible first, then the dealer, then the factory.  Even for things that angered me about my trailer as being obvious factory defects in design or build (tires rubbing on the body?  Not a small thing!), I got the first heat.  Rather than jumping up and down and running around in a circle, I just went ahead and fixed it.  
    Occasionally, we run on to the frustration of needing something repaired or parts to do it and That won't change, ever.  The NuCamp factory is in a period of explosive growth and I can only but imagine the chaos that entails.  I suspect that things will calm down and get sorted out.  In the meantime, it's important to remember that even questionable dealers respond to the mother of all lubricants; money.  The customer, aware or not, has ultimate control over the entire process because, right or wrong, the customer is always the one with the money.  If your dealer is crappy, find a different dealer.  
    I can't let the sleeping dog lie.  I must say that in the case of moderators here, I've met 2 of them and while we have not always seen eye to eye, I've no doubt about the altruistic nature of both.  I believe that they have only the best intentions of the group at heart and attacking them serves no purpose.  It's obvious to me that in the event of the need for communication between myself and the factory, they would serve as powerful allies.  They have the ear of the factory.  I do not, nor do I ever expect to.  Let's not "shoot the messenger" as the saying goes.  My mother used to say that: "the thing I was mad at was almost always not the thing I was mad about".  
    As users, we must always keep in mind that we are responsible for the problems our devices invoke.  Whether the problem originated with us or not, we'll be the ones "taking it in the knees" for the solution.  I'm not afraid of sending my displeasure up the chain (tires rubbing on the body?  really?) as a way for the folks up there to get a good knee-capping once in awhile.  Sometimes, they deserve it.  But I NEVER sidestep my responsibility to ultimately be the one on the button to solve the problem.  Wherever the solution comes from, it's my responsibility as the owner to start the process and shepherd it through.  

Or as the Germans say:
    Nimm alles was du willst,
    Aber,
    Ess alles was du nimmst....

(Take all you want
    but
    eat all that you take)

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Hear hear @WilliamA, I want some of your coffee! 

Nicely said.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    This is very unpleasant news.  Elsie was very knowledgeable about all things NuCamp.  Dealers sell many brands and may have only a passing familiarity with our trailers.  I doubt if many even have a "Parts Department" that stock the most common NuCamp parts.  I'll give it a try, but this may be NuCamp's first "Hold my beer and watch this" moment.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    WilliamA 10 years ago I would be right there with you.  However, now that I am 70 yo and have two major disabilities I find that I must depend on others more and more and the things I used to be able to do easily have become somewhat more daunting.  All that being said, I find myself more dependent on the dealership.  This is our 7th camping trailer over the last 40 years.   As you said, many off the shelf parts are available at any RV shop.  However, the T@bs have some relatvrela unique parts, particularly window shade and screen related that Nucamp may be the only source.  It would be nice if Nucamp had a website with a list of these available for direct order.  On my other 400 I had to replace the doorlatch assembly, shade/screen latches and the interior window trim corner pieces..  Not available locally and my dealer is 199 miles away.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    BigGrover said:
    WilliamA 10 years ago I would be right there with you.  However, now that I am 70 yo and have two major disabilities I find that I must depend on others more and more and the things I used to be able to do easily have become somewhat more daunting.  All that being said, I find myself more dependent on the dealership.  This is our 7th camping trailer over the last 40 years.   As you said, many off the shelf parts are available at any RV shop.  However, the T@bs have some relatvrela unique parts, particularly window shade and screen related that Nucamp may be the only source.  It would be nice if Nucamp had a website with a list of these available for direct order.  On my other 400 I had to replace the doorlatch assembly, shade/screen latches and the interior window trim corner pieces..  Not available locally and my dealer is 199 miles away.
    I would absolutely agree with you on pretty much all of those points.  Perhaps as NuCamp gets more acclimated to the bigger them, there will be a "storefront" on the website for common stuff.  I personally see that as a "must-have" for industry.  But it requires many steps from "problem" to "solution".  I suspect they will find their way.  As users, a bit of that knee-capping falls upon us as the inevitable debris from growth.  It remains to be seen "how" they will do all of that.  I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt....for now.  At the end of the day I am one of those consumers with the money and who gets the next helping is up to me....and them...

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    this is the one thing i used to love about nucamp.   direct contact with the manufacturer...   sad that is going away-   i hope this decision it the right one.  my dealer is certainly not as responsive as i like.    i honestly wish dealers for any vehicle did not exist for any vehicles..  i wish manufacturer sold direct.   
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 272
    edited January 2019
    I just called my dealer. I was told they don't have a parts department. When I told them NuCamp referred me to them for the part, they said they'd have to have a service manager call me back. They called me back but had to call NuCamp for pricing and availability. Seems I could have done that too. What's the difference between me calling and the dealer? I feel there is room for price gouging by some dealers.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    Not to bead a dead horse, but since parts are going to be drop shipped, just choose a different dealer.  There have been a number of them that people posted as having good service departments.   All the dealer is doing is taking your CC and processing the paperwork, nuCAMP is shipping the material.  A handful of dealers will rise to the top as go-to places for internet ordering.
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    SharonKSharonK Member Posts: 22

We have been fortunate to have had Elsie, Austin, Marvin & others take such good care of us.  I have called Elsie from a campground and she shipped parts to me the next day.  I recently travelled 560 miles to nuCamp for repairs and Austin took care of my T@B. 

I drove over 450 miles to purchase my T@B in Ohio after visiting 2 other dealerships fairly close by and not finding a knowledgeable salesperson.  My salesman in Ohio spent hours with me going through all the systems, hooking up, setting the brakes, making sure I had all the equipment I needed, and having me pull the camper all over their lot until I was comfortable (he also owned a T@B ).  Unfortunately, he is no longer there.  I have since been to 2 dealerships for maintenance - they had no clue about the Alde, winterizing, etc., so this move does concern me.

My hope is that this will improve the customer service from dealerships and force them to either step up or be weeded out.  My suggestions:

1. Choose a few centrally located dealerships, bring mechanics to the factory to train for a week or however long it takes, initiate a Certified Mechanic program and require them to return periodically to learn new systems, products, etc. 

2.  Send questionnaires to customers who go to dealerships for repairs to get feedback.

3.  Invite these Certified Mechanics to nuCamp rallies to participate in the question/answer sessions.

I would rather make the drive to a nuCamp Certified Mechanic than to take a chance on a local mechanic who has never seen a T@B and could possibly do more harm than good.

Thanks to Elsie, Austin, nuCamp management and all involved for their integrity, customer service and for making the best campers in the world!  I am a proud T@B owner :) 

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Good stuff and obviously when changes are made it is scary, but is necessary for reasons we're unaware of.  Thanks for sharing your suggestions and will pass them along.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    SharonK said:

1. Choose a few centrally located dealerships, bring mechanics to the factory to train for a week or however long it takes, initiate a Certified Mechanic program and require them to return periodically to learn new systems, products, etc. 

I would rather make the drive to a nuCamp Certified Mechanic than to take a chance on a local mechanic who has never seen a T@B and could possibly do more harm than good.

Thanks to Elsie, Austin, nuCamp management and all involved for their integrity, customer service and for making the best campers in the world!  I am a proud T@B owner :) 

1. They have been bringing more dealers into the factory and plan to continue bringing them in. They realize the need for partnership, and many of us have experienced that need.

2. I am so thankful for the work Austin and his team do on mt T@b, every year. I have no local dealers and the one where I bought my T@b does not have a good service department.The next closest will not serve me because I did not buy from them. 

I thi k nuCamp is doing a great job at handling growth. As Mike said, change I never easy, but nuCamp needs a more scalable option as they grow.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I completely understand this change for the company.  I don't agree that this is the first step down the road to a disinterested company. 

Normally, there are only a certain number of items that people have had to replace.  Perhaps this is a modified list that could be posted and we could call our dealers from that.  Or, we could collect part numbers or info here and share it out.  It would be easier for me anyway. 

As of now, if I break a clip on a door, I would have to call and try to explain this.  He would say, Ah, what kinda camper do you have?  Okay, which door is it?  Do you want the whole door replaced?  No? Okay, some kind of clip you say...  What kind of camper was that?  Okay..  ...Wait a minute...  I'll try to bring this up on my computer...  Sorry, I don't use this very often... Sally! come over here and help with this darn thing Lets see...  Search for clips....  Now, you said you had an Rpod.......  No? Oh, a TaB...  Ah...  here it is...  Sorry I can't send you a picture of what this is showing on my screen...  Do you want to order this?  Well....Otherwise, come on down to the store...  Oh... you are 110 miles away...  Well, take a shot at it then.... 

You know,  we have some great deals on Winnebagos..
    ==================================

Just injecting some humor into this... But...  It could go this way... For those of you who are older and remember "Long Distance"...  I'd have to call after 6pm...grin...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    "when changes are made it is scary,"

Who likes changes?  
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Terry V6, ha ha, just had almost the identical conversation recently with a dealer about the plastic clips for the window shades!
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    hobbithousehobbithouse Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2019
    We just traded our tab 320 CSS last week and are now happy new owners of a tab 400 Boondock. 1st, our tab dealership is local and new to the Reno NV. area. 2nd, the walk thru was very precise and informative, and already having knowledge of many of the systems really helped us also. Thank you FORUM for that. Yesterday we ordered our first part (very minor) under warranty using NuCamp's new policy and it went very well. Our new dealership installed a few add on items on our 400  and did a great job. A number of the employees have been to the NuCamp factory and seem to be well versed on the Tab/Tag line. So, start to finish, thumbs up to Western Skies RV and NuCamp for great service and a fine product.    (Appreciate your enthusiasm @hobbithouse, but edited for inappropriate language.)
    2019 TAB400 2018 Toyota Tacoma 4dr trd off road
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    The dealer search tool found only one dealer in our state, in a remote location 150 miles away.  Nearest one was about 90 miles in another state.  So far, Amazon has been our supplier, although we've not yet needed parts that are unique to the T@B.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    My Outback is the second camper I have owned made by NuCamp. The first one had no issues at all for the four years I owned it, a truly outstanding product. My Outback has had a couple of minor issues, and the dealer I bought this unit from was horrible to deal with and did the repairs improperly. Fortunately NuCamp came to the rescue and supported me when I had to take my camper to a RV repair shop ( they only do repairs and do not sell RV's) to have the repairs done properly. I bought a T@B because of the outstanding quality and the support I knew I could depend on. So far I have not been disappointed! But, I have vowed to never set foot on the lot of the dealer again and I meant it. Their service center was incompetent and they misled and overcharged me. So I have no dealer. I am (now was) in the process of trading my Outback with another dealer for a 400. I just cancelled the deal and think I will wait and see how this all plays out. I trust the small repair shop in Waynesboro but they are not a dealership so presumably could not order parts. Not willing to be at the mercy of any dealership based on my past experiences with them.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited January 2019
    @JustJohn, please read Scott Hubble’s post following this post where he does answer many of your concerns. You don’t have to deal with with your most dreaded dealer. I can give you the name of a dealer who will work with you on drop shipping or you can use the new dealer you were working with.

I truly don’t believe that the dealers will not be charging much more, if not the same as what nüCamp has been charging for parts. Yes, of course, nüCamp was not selling “at cost” through their parts department, as we should realize, just as the dealers will not be selling at their cost. 

We will still be dealing with the nüCamp service as we are used to, as the Parts department will still be the ones drop shipping parts to our preferred addresses. 

I believe you can order your T@B 400 with confidence as it comes from the same company we both trust.  I’ll bet it will be the Boondock Lite like mine. You’ll be extremely happy with it, John, as it is the best of the previous two nüCamp/Pleasant Valley teardrops we have owned!

Verna
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    Being able to call them directly and get advise has been a great experience 

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @lino, I bet we'll still be able to call them directly for advice...

@Verna, can you tell me the name of the dealer you recommend for parts ordering? It would be good to have a parts source that knows Tabs well enough to discuss parts needed. Thanks!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya